Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems every time I post a prayer request, it's for me, for the same thing -- trying to figure things out.

I feel like I'm stuck in the same place with a million different branches as routes that I can go, but God just isn't telling me which way to go. I feel like he's playing head games with me... just when I think something is going GREAT and will move onto something more, it ceases.
I'm not losing faith, and I'm fine, and I'm definitely going to survive it all - I'm just getting frustrated. I'm convinced God has a great sense of humor, and I think the problem is that I am mentally and emotionally ready to do whatever I'm called to, so He's testing me with when and where to go.
I'm 20 and I have no clue what I want to do with my life. No clue where I'm supposed to be, doing what. I believe in the long run I'm to get married and have kids... but I don't even feel like I'm a step in the right direction. When I start to feel being pulled in some direction, I never feel confident enough that that's where I'm supposed to go, so I don't go with it.

I just wish God would make a really big poster with a timeline of where to go, when, and how, and post it on my wall. A good set of directions for me to take on. :)

This probably sounds like more of a rant fest, but it's where I'm at and have been at for awhile now. In the meantime of trying to figure it all out, prayers would be appreciated!

Thanks guys. :)

Reactions: BillH

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You and me both Hun :hug: I think I always thought I'd be stuck as a college student---that those 4 years would last FOREVER and well they didn't. It was nice and safe going to class, hanging out with friends, and working part time for some extra cash. Nice and simple.

Now I'm dealing with Student Teaching and still have no clue about where my placements are, I have to find some kind of part-time job for next semester (while I'll be doing Student Teaching full-time, I won't be paid for it), and my Mom just told me this week she'd disown me if I married the guy I'm so head over heels in love with (and I know who God is calling me to marry).

I'm glad you have a strong faith---you just want more light shed on your own life, you want God to tell you how each step will be placed and how you will get to the finish line. I guess if He gave us all that info, we'd honestly just be bored with our lives--there's no fun and mystery in deciding okay do I go down that path or this one. Whatever path we choose, if we pray and are faithful we know God will help us along the way---or at least remind us we went down the wrong path and then show us how to get back on the right one.

:hug:s to the frustration, the confusion, and to us having hope that no matter what happens we'll always have Him. :)

Reactions: Tigg
Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ah, it would be so nice to have a poster of what, where, etc. I would much appreciate that. :) Some things in life are simple and some are soo hard. I so agree with Angeldove. Especially, "...that no matter what happens we'll always have Him. :)"

Which is 100% true and worth more than gold.

Prayers for you epiclesis, Angeldove, myself and all of us as we make our way through life. :prayer: He is always there...

-IMO-
Peace

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Umm... How would an unpaid, open-ended babysitting job sound? :)

Trust me, I think just about everyone goes through this in their early 20s. Up until then, with school and what not, your life has been more or less completely structured. Your goal is to pass your classes and move on to the next grade (or make the varsity team, or whatever.) Pretty straightforward. Now, it's not entirely obvious what you should be doing, and it's scary.

The bad news is that the feeling probably won't go away for a few years. You may have to try several things before you really figure out what it is that God wants you to do. The good news is that most people DO figure that out eventually, especially if they're open to God's will and reflect on it. :hug:

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

Megatherium

Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
✟8,072.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you ever find that poster, can you get me a copy? Or maybe one of those talking GPS things. "Turn right 1000 feet ahead." That would really be useful. I still have no clue what God wants me to do with my life. If you think it's frustrating now, try wandering aimlessly for another 10 years or so, only to realize you're definitely on the wrong path and it must've been one of the other 999,999 you were supposed to take. Sorry, I guess I have nothing really useful to say. But I suppose maybe you could use someone to
rant along with you.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you are exactly where you should be at 20 though that doesn't make it any better feeling. All I can say is somewhere along the line God and I had an understanding. I place all my trust in Him, and He leads me where He wants me to be. When I'm not questioning Him and His plan I find that no matter how crazy that plan seems it turns out to be more beautiful than anything I could ever imagine. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that Bill and Colleen are absolutely right - that is part of the 20s. I also think that, in the absence of a clear direction, often the best thing to do is to stay put. Many times we want to move just to be doing something, anything.

My only real advice to you would be: pray and don't over-think it. Too often we are like deer in the headlights because we believe (at some level) that it is me who makes things happen. In absence of confidence or ability leaves us in the fetal position in the corner. While we must cooperate with the Lord, we do not direct Him. We are subject to His time, His seasons. All things, always, are according to His providence.

Upvote 0

Megatherium

Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
✟8,072.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To be honest, I would be a little cheesed off if God gave me a poster of what I'm supposed to do with myself. I rather enjoy my freedom.

Well, there's more than one right way you can go, and if the poster showed all of them, you could choose which way to go. It would still be nice to see which paths led somewhere and which were dead ends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
I was going to try to write something laced with Catholic tradition and a bit of 'big tent' God's children stuff, but I changed my mind.

God did give you a poster, it is called your passion. You know what you care about and you know what you enjoy doing. Those two things, coupled with your lifestyle expectation, is the poster. And the poster changes. And that's OK.

As someone else said, don't over think it. I would add (although somewhat hesitantly in a Christian site) don't over pray it either. What could happen, you make a career mistake and start over? Einstein flunked math. A poor career choice is a chance to learn. You were given free will, don't expect to loose it and have choices removed from you. Let me give you a quick example:

I was a high school teacher, I was a graduate student, I was a high school teacher again, I am now a policeman and back working on another education degree. I followed my heart and kept my obligations (with help from a great wife). I pursued my passions.

So...have a beer, enjoy your friends/family, and love the Lord. Then listen to your heart, you'll be alright.

Don

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would add (although somewhat hesitantly in a Christian site) don't over pray it either.

I agree. Sometimes we have to realize that the reality is the thing we want the least - that we just have to wait and see. Though I wonder whether many of our tests in life are in how we react to the people and circumstances around us. I think too often we're looking for "the one" or "the thing" ... and in looking, we're overlooking.

Upvote 0

Megatherium

Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
✟8,072.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well... it's just the trying that counts, in the end - 'cus we're all gonna end up in the same place anyway whatever we decide to do... all flesh is grass and all that...

But how hard to you try before it's considered trying? I would think more than just a token effort would be required. And if you're going to try, the first thing you have to do is figure out where you're going. Which is where that big poster would come in handy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Megatherium

Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
✟8,072.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was going to try to write something laced with Catholic tradition and a bit of 'big tent' God's children stuff, but I changed my mind.

God did give you a poster, it is called your passion. You know what you care about and you know what you enjoy doing. Those two things, coupled with your lifestyle expectation, is the poster. And the poster changes. And that's OK.

As someone else said, don't over think it. I would add (although somewhat hesitantly in a Christian site) don't over pray it either. What could happen, you make a career mistake and start over? Einstein flunked math. A poor career choice is a chance to learn. You were given free will, don't expect to loose it and have choices removed from you. Let me give you a quick example:

I was a high school teacher, I was a graduate student, I was a high school teacher again, I am now a policeman and back working on another education degree. I followed my heart and kept my obligations (with help from a great wife). I pursued my passions.

So...have a beer, enjoy your friends/family, and love the Lord. Then listen to your heart, you'll be alright.

Don

The worst that could happen is that you waste your life going down the wrong path. Would choosing the wrong career mean I wasted my life? No, not necessarily. But there's a lot more than life than a career. You mention in passing that your wife has been a great help in pursuing your passions. Are you sure about that? Or is your wife your real passion and your various careers the help? It sounds to me like you've been on the right path for a while, and your career changes have just been minor deviations from the path.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It seems every time I post a prayer request, it's for me, for the same thing -- trying to figure things out.

I feel like I'm stuck in the same place with a million different branches as routes that I can go, but God just isn't telling me which way to go. I feel like he's playing head games with me... just when I think something is going GREAT and will move onto something more, it ceases.
I'm not losing faith, and I'm fine, and I'm definitely going to survive it all - I'm just getting frustrated. I'm convinced God has a great sense of humor, and I think the problem is that I am mentally and emotionally ready to do whatever I'm called to, so He's testing me with when and where to go.
I'm 20 and I have no clue what I want to do with my life. No clue where I'm supposed to be, doing what. I believe in the long run I'm to get married and have kids... but I don't even feel like I'm a step in the right direction. When I start to feel being pulled in some direction, I never feel confident enough that that's where I'm supposed to go, so I don't go with it.

I just wish God would make a really big poster with a timeline of where to go, when, and how, and post it on my wall. A good set of directions for me to take on. :)

This probably sounds like more of a rant fest, but it's where I'm at and have been at for awhile now. In the meantime of trying to figure it all out, prayers would be appreciated!

Thanks guys. :)

:hug: I wish He would tell me too.
But...that free will thing. ;)

Upvote 0

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
The worst that could happen is that you waste your life going down the wrong path. Would choosing the wrong career mean I wasted my life? No, not necessarily. But there's a lot more than life than a career. You mention in passing that your wife has been a great help in pursuing your passions. Are you sure about that? Or is your wife your real passion and your various careers the help? It sounds to me like you've been on the right path for a while, and your career changes have just been minor deviations from the path.

Depending how fatalistic you are, we are all on the path for us. While I take nothing away from my wife, I swapped jobs before she was in the picture. You are 100% correct, IMO, when you say there is more to life than a job. The most important, to my estimation, is following you passions. If you do that, your career, your spiritual life, your family interactions, and the like will fall into place. Discernment of your passions, as well as your fears and limitations, is the key step to fulfillment.

Respectfully

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.