I am considering converting to Christianity from Islam for the millionth time...

researchguy

Jan 15, 2019
southeast
✟18,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
but I always committed apostasy due to the close knit community of gulenists and other muslims and turks i heavily relied upon for social interaction, and the fact that due to my autism, borderline, possible bipolar, adhd, and anxiety, (and they say OCD but i doubt) i could not form friedships with americans or others in school and i sort of fell apart after high school and things got worse for my borderline. i often explored christianity, but as true to my disorder, i could not tolerate the idea of absolute isolation. and being too different. i also held certain beliefs, such as islamic dream interpretation, which i used to cope with my insatiable need to predict the future, (which even dream interpretation often did not satisfy), the miracle of the quran, scientific miracles in the quran, theology, etc. i also need some emotional support, as this is rather tough. i had many dreams, until i drove away from a mosque with a uber driver telling her i became a christian (the same driver that had a daughter that converted to islam) but then felt turmoil and drove back, and started to have more and more dreams, and things got worse, but the dreams remained few, although i did see joan of arc in my dream.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Open your heart to the Lord. Read and meditate on the Scriptures, the Bible, especially the New Testament, starting with the Gospels. Give it time and allow the Holy Spirit to work in your heart. There's no benefit to switching back and forth continually. Dig down and find solid ground to build permanently upon. Then the fallout, whatever it may be, will not be so important, and you may find your healing in the process.

I will show you what it's like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. - Luk 6:47 NLT
It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. - Luk 6:48 NLT​

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and also i need proof christianity is true, aside from my strong emotions and inclinations
I think it's better to fear God more than man. I believe faith comes by hearing the gospel. You could contemplate this yourself forever and never come to a conclusion.

Romans 10:17 King James Version

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Also you'll never get "proof". The Bible indicates seeking this proof is foolish in

1 Corinthians 1:22-24 King James Version

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

I know it's easy for me to say you would be better off being in "total isolation", but a Christian... I do think this though. I understand how difficult it must be to make that decision.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but I always committed apostasy due to the close knit community of gulenists and other muslims and turks i heavily relied upon for social interaction, and the fact that due to my autism, borderline, possible bipolar, adhd, and anxiety, (and they say OCD but i doubt) i could not form friedships with americans or others in school and i sort of fell apart after high school and things got worse for my borderline. i often explored christianity, but as true to my disorder, i could not tolerate the idea of absolute isolation. and being too different. i also held certain beliefs, such as islamic dream interpretation, which i used to cope with my insatiable need to predict the future, (which even dream interpretation often did not satisfy), the miracle of the quran, scientific miracles in the quran, theology, etc. i also need some emotional support, as this is rather tough. i had many dreams, until i drove away from a mosque with a uber driver telling her i became a christian (the same driver that had a daughter that converted to islam) but then felt turmoil and drove back, and started to have more and more dreams, and things got worse, but the dreams remained few, although i did see joan of arc in my dream.
Also, you might be interested in a talk by Nabeel Qureshi called Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus:

I don't fully agree with everything by the people involved in the talk but it might be a helpful for you to watch.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I recommend you to talk to @Al Masihi
He converted from Islam

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is going to make you different, it's going to change you because it's real. Are there any churches you can attend and make new friends? If there are any Christians at school ask them what church they go to and tell them that you would like to visit.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The question is what’s holding you back from Christianity and keeping you in Islam, if it’s belief in Islam I can give you a list of A to Z on why Islam isn’t from God or even remotely logical, if it’s social pressure then you have support from all of us hear. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions on Christianity if your troubled by any doctrines or teachings we have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟443,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You might be interested in Youtube videos with the author Reza Aslan.
Reza Aslan - Wikipedia
He seems to know a lot about the historical Jesus but he seems to be a liberal Islamist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟443,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What about this:
Reza Aslan: Why I am a Muslim - CNN
I would rather he be an atheist than a Muslim, since I've been quite impressed with him.

Also:
Reza Aslan - Wikipedia (criticism of New Atheism)

Thanks for correcting me.

Being drawn to Sufism makes sense for him. The talk I listened to made it seem like he had no particular beliefs in God, but what I'm gathering now is that he has a more mystical, esoteric approach to religion, albeit one tempered by humanism.

Also, in his talk he made it clear that Jesus was executed by the Romans. Traditionally, Muslims do not believe that, in fact most consider it scandalous. But Aslan seems to accept the conclusions of liberal scholarship (that Jesus execution is an historical fact), contra Islam.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I don't think you're going to get any easy answers here.

A lot of what you're talking about here seems that what you need most is a lot of support and medical care. Regardless of what religion you are or aren't, that's important.

I believe very strongly that if you found the right church, you would also be gaining a lot of support structure, and the kind of community you'd benefit from both emotionally as well as spiritually. But that's something even many life-long Christians can often struggle with.

I have nothing I can offer as proof as for the validity of Christianity, and there really isn't any kind of argument I could provide that would convince you or convert you--for one, it's simply not my or any other Christian's job to convert anyone.

What I will say is that God know your heart and He knows your state of mind. He knows your struggles, He knows your turmoil, He knows everything you are going through inside and out. And so I am confident that, regardless of what happens, God knows all these things. My prayer and hope is that you do find your home and refuge in Him. That the Spirit will bridge the gap between the hearing of the Gospel and your own inner turmoil. But regardless of anything, that you find peace and health.

The peace of God be with you.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

I think Islam and Christianity are quite similar. There are differences, of course, but I personally don't see those differences too great to consider changing religions. It doesn't really matter. But whatever makes you happy. If you like Christianity, just chose it. If you look for logical reasons, you'll never be satisfied, or once satisfied, you'll soon be disappointed because you'll discover something new.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think Islam and Christianity are quite similar. There are differences, of course, but I personally don't see those differences too great to consider changing religions. It doesn't really matter. But whatever makes you happy. If you like Christianity, just chose it. If you look for logical reasons, you'll never be satisfied, or once satisfied, you'll soon be disappointed because you'll discover something new.
That's not true.
We have a Triune God, a God incarnated, Original sin, and a New Covenant that is the fulfillment of the Old Covenant for all people.

Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
That's not true.
We have a Triune God, a God incarnated, Original sin, and a New Covenant that is the fulfillment of the Old Covenant for all people.

Yes. And there are other differences, just like I said. It's my personal opinion that the two faiths are very similar despite all the dufferences.

About Trinity, I think Islam is closer to the truth. In its essence, Trinity (term not from the Bible) is polytheism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes. And there are other differences, just like I said. It's my personal opinion that the two faiths are very similar despite all the dufferences.

About Trinity, I think Islam is closer to the truth. In its essence, Trinity (term not from the Bible) is polytheism.
Still not true, We worship one God.

Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Still not true, We worship one God.

I know you think so. It's besides the point. Christianity, Islam, Judaism are very similar. Especially Christianity and Islam. Practically sister religions. Many, many same or similar ideas.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know you think so. It's besides the point. Christianity, Islam, Judaism are very similar. Especially Christianity and Islam. Practically sister religions. Many, many same or similar ideas.
It's like implying polytheism and monotheism is the same thing because there is the belief in a deity. Both Judaism and Islam are false religions

Upvote 0