1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

I am bipolar should I fast.

Discussion in 'Spiritual Formation & Disciplines' started by christianwisconsinite, Jun 10, 2005.

1. christianwisconsinite

christianwisconsinite New Member

+1
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I have been thinking of fasting to start off just one day and then work my way up to 3 or more.And how much is to much.I have so many questions.I want to do this for the lord. but don't know if it is safe for me to do it.

In Christ alwayes
    John

2. IKTCA

IKTCA Senior Veteran

+72
    Word of Faith
    Married
    I don't see how bipolar can affect your fasting. But may I ask you why you are going to do fasting? Is there something in you that makes you seek the Lord through fasting?
    Rupert

3. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Well-Known Member

+29
    Christian
    Check with your Doctor. Your mental health is of far greater value than any spiritual exercise.

DM

4. Alive again

Alive again A daughter of the King of Kings!

+527
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I agree that running it by your doc is a good idea. I am bp2 and I fast. I use a modified juice fast and fast sunup to sundown. The longest I have fasted in three days. The shortest was until about 4pm. Most times whemn I pray about it, I have felt led to do 1 day fasts. My longest has been for 3 days. Other than when I have chosen a day fast, I have truly felt released from my fast by God. DO it in pray both before and during the fast. If fasting from food doesn't work for you try fasting from tv or something like that. The motivation to spend time in prayer, particularly listening to God is most important whther you are abler to fast or not you can chose to spend time doing that!!! Blessing!!

5. CoveredByWings

CoveredByWings The Warrior Within

+33
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I don't know if this is right or wrong but my dad does half day fast for a week or two when he has a big question of the Lord. Hes kind of hefty too.

6. alaurie

alaurie Welcome, Preston!!!

+149
    Methodist
    Private
    US-Republican
    I'm don't see any reason fasting should harm you unless you take lithium. Maintaining the correct salt and fluid balance is so important with that med. If you aren't on that, then ask your doctor, but I can't see why you couldn't.