Visit site
✟311,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This was the verse i had in mind when i stated that. Ephesians 4:24.
And therem s a verse that speaks on us being imputed with Christ's righteousness i was thinking of as well.
I was going to argue and say that I didn't think imputational doctrine was involved at all but according to my notes it is ... total open to any rebuttals

The Doctrine of Imputation (setting down to one's account)

Hebrews 10:1-10
Animal Sacrifices Insufficient

DEBIT
(God views us in our position with Adam, sees us as spiritually dead, therefore spiritual death is reckoned to our account.)
(The first great fact of imputation is that Adam's sin is imputed to the whole human race)

Romans 5:12

CLEAN SLATE
(The sin of the race (imputed by God the Father) is imputed to God the Son.) (He set down to Jesus' account what was not His but rightfully ours)

Isaiah 53:5-6

(Here is the transfer of accounts)
(The scapegoat who bore away all the sins of the people.)

2 Corinthians 5:21

(It wasn't Barrabas' cross He was on. It was mine.) (Yet we both went free)

CREDIT
(The righteousness of Christ imputed to sinners)
(Gives us the right to come into the presence of God)

Romans 1:16-17; Romans 10:3

So...
step #1= Adam's sin reckoned to the race
step #2= God reckoned over the sin of Adam's race to Christ
step #3= God reckoned righteousness of God to sinners
(this was an act of free grace)

Philippians 3:8-9

VEIWING THE DIVINE TRANSACTION ((((THIS IS WHERE IT SAYS RIGHTEOUSNESS IS IMPUTED))))))))

Hebrews 10:14; Hebrews 9:14; 1 Corinthians 1:30

(All that is in Jesus is set down to our account)

Colossians 2:9-10

(Thru faith, His Righteousness is given to us. God accepted the payment)

Reactions: Theadorus
Upvote 0

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was going to argue and say that I didn't think imputational doctrine was involved at all but according to my notes it is ... total open to any rebuttals

The Doctrine of Imputation (setting down to one's account)

Hebrews 10:1-10
Animal Sacrifices Insufficient

DEBIT
(God views us in our position with Adam, sees us as spiritually dead, therefore spiritual death is reckoned to our account.)
(The first great fact of imputation is that Adam's sin is imputed to the whole human race)

Romans 5:12

CLEAN SLATE
(The sin of the race (imputed by God the Father) is imputed to God the Son.) (He set down to Jesus' account what was not His but rightfully ours)

Isaiah 53:5-6

(Here is the transfer of accounts)
(The scapegoat who bore away all the sins of the people.)

2 Corinthians 5:21

(It wasn't Barrabas' cross He was on. It was mine.) (Yet we both went free)

CREDIT
(The righteousness of Christ imputed to sinners)
(Gives us the right to come into the presence of God)

Romans 1:16-17; Romans 10:3

So...
step #1= Adam's sin reckoned to the race
step #2= God reckoned over the sin of Adam's race to Christ
step #3= God reckoned righteousness of God to sinners
(this was an act of free grace)

Philippians 3:8-9

VEIWING THE DIVINE TRANSACTION ((((THIS IS WHERE IT SAYS RIGHTEOUSNESS IS IMPUTED))))))))

Hebrews 10:14; Hebrews 9:14; 1 Corinthians 1:30

(All that is in Jesus is set down to our account)

Colossians 2:9-10

(Thru faith, His Righteousness is given to us. God accepted the payment)

Thank you for that. I'll look more into it.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A saved person says, "I am as righteous as Jesus."

Truth or blasphemy?
Depends on how they say it, and what they mean.

We - because of Jesus - are as righteous in the sight of God, as Jesus. Only because of the blood of the Lamb are we made this way, out of faith. This faith is what allows the Spirit of God to rest on us, which then results in fruit and good works which are the works of God, which is to do the will of God, which is the Torah, but that's not the meaning of this post haha.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
being that our righteous standing before God is based on what Jesus did and in no way based on anything we have done, the original statement, which would seem to state that our righteousness is generated from ourselves, would be flatly false.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Truth or blasphemy?
Those of Jesus time said Crucify Him.

John 5:18
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

John 14:20
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

We are the Righteousness of God in Christ.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Truth or blasphemy?
Truth.
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5)

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Truth or blasphemy?

we inherit Jesus' righteousness if we are recipients of his grace which is binding with Christ in perpetuity. Statements like "I am as righteous as Jesus" tend to stray from the point as they can suggest a righteousness that is independent of Christ which is false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So it's blasphemy for some who are saved? Why?
All I meant was if we say that we are righteous like Jesus but do not follow his commands as found in Matthew 5-7, then we are not telling the truth with a statement like that.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I meant was if we say that we are righteous like Jesus but do not follow his commands as found in Matthew 5-7, then we are not telling the truth with a statement like that.
Perhaps you are confusing righteousness (that is being in right standing with God) with moral perfection of the flesh (which the flesh will never achieve).

For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.

Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. (Romans 7 - 8)

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we inherit Jesus' righteousness if we are recipients of his grace which is binding with Christ in perpetuity. Statements like "I am as righteous as Jesus" tend to stray from the point as they can suggest a righteousness that is independent of Christ which is false.
Yes, the statement does need some qualification, nevertheless it is correct.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Truth or blasphemy?
Just self delusion. Some theologies try to speak of objective justification and a few confuse that with their personal righteousness but that confusion is because they are in a delusional state.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Truth or blasphemy?

There is a sense where someone is either righteous or they are not, but there is also a sense that there are degrees within righteousness. In the same way, something or someone is either holy or impure, yet there were areas of the temple that were holier than others. In 1 Samuel 24:17, Saul said that David was more righteous than he was and in Genesis 38:26, Judah said that Tamar was more righteous than he was, so there is a sense of judging how close our actions align with God's standard of righteousness. There is the sense Christ's righteousness has been imputed to us where we are as righteous as he is, yet there is also the sense that we do not always act in accordance with that righteousness.

In 1 John 3:10, it says that those who are not children of God do not practice righteousness, in 2 Timothy 3:16-17, it says that all OT Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for training in righteousness, in Titus 2:11-14, it says that our salvation involved being trained by grace to do what is righteous, and so some people who have been declared righteous are farther along in this training than others. This training will not be completed until he who began a good work in us is faithful to complete it on the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6), so there is a sense that we are as righteous as Jesus and a sense that we are not yet as righteous as Jesus.

It is important to keep in mind that we are not to follow God's instructions for how to practice righteousness in order to become righteous, but because we have been made righteous. In other words, doing what is righteous is the vocation of someone who is righteous. God's Law was never intended to be pursued as a means of establishing our own righteousness and the fact that Israel had that misunderstanding of the Law is precisely why their failed to obtain righteousness. Rather the same faith by which we are declared righteous we are also required to practice righteousness. Every example of saving faith in Hebrews 11 is also an example of someone practicing obedience to God's commands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So you think your righteousness is based in part on what you do?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Just self delusion. Some theologies try to speak of objective justification and a few confuse that with their personal righteousness but that confusion is because they are in a delusional state.
Are those who are saved seated with Christ at the right hand of God?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So you think your righteousness is based in part on what you do?
Righteousness is "who you are" are in Christ, it's just that "righteousness" is not what most think it means, the word and rap the word "righteousness" has gotten, is a bit like the word "religion" over the years... It basically means, "always being and always doing what is always good and right", like God does or is... We can only do this by saying it Christ's righteous in me, working through me, and it is no about me at all, but is for you, (the other person/people)...

But, as I said, what most people think when they hear the word "righteousness" and righteous, what they think of is far from correct...

And that issue needs to be settled...

God Bless!

• Winner
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.