I am Armenian Apostolic and i need help on bible!

Oct 26, 2009
✟15,116.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was born into an Apostolic Armenian family. we Armenians are considered part of the Oriental Orthodoxy, and if i am correct, we are in full communion with the syrian, coptic, etc orthodox churches

I wanted to know for someone like me, what type of bible do we use? what books are included in my bible? i want to buy one but eastern orthodoxy has more/less books than us so i wanted to have a list of the books. anyone know?

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Coptic Church and the Armenian Church have the same canon so use the one they do which would be the Septuagint. The Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox have the same biblical canon that includes the "deutero-canonical" books. You can find an Armenian Church English edition of the Bible here: http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5383

Upvote 0
Y

Yeznik

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2009
✟15,116.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Armenian Apostolic,

The one that I would recommend is this one:

I would also recommend the one from Andrew21091 as well. I have both and from what I understand the Armenian one, from Saint Vartan Press, has the the "deutero-canonical" books translated from the Classical Armenian.

but the orthodox study bible is an eastern orthodox canon, since it has the eastern orthodox cross on it

Upvote 0
Y

Yeznik

but the orthodox study bible is an eastern orthodox canon, since it has the eastern orthodox cross on it

Don’t worry about the style of the Cross; what it means is more important. :)

The Armenian Bible was translated from the Septuagint, Syriac and Hebrew sources. Most Western Bibles were translated from the Latin Vulgate, then into other languages. If you are looking for the exact canon of the Armenian Bible translated from the Classical Armenian there isn’t one.

Are you looking for something particular in the bible or do you have a question regarding it?

Upvote 0

Oda Sarkardehi

Jun 26, 2019
Denton
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
I was born into an Apostolic Armenian family. we Armenians are considered part of the Oriental Orthodoxy, and if i am correct, we are in full communion with the syrian, coptic, etc orthodox churches

Please ignore, every post. Brahev first of all, the book you need is Septuagint or LXX..your apostolic not Oriental...I know because I'm Armenian/Persian decent..and mass as well at the local Armenian Church in my state. St. Sarkis,, your faith Goes back to 325 AD.. My Christian brother and sister please know I dont mean butany disrespect but please stop confusing the individual.

I wanted to know for someone like me, what type of bible do we use? what books are included in my bible? i want to buy one but eastern orthodoxy has more/less books than us so i wanted to have a list of the books. anyone know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Ideally you would use the Bible that saint Mesrob translated 1600 years or so ago assuming you are Armenian literate. But the easy answer is to see what your closest Armenian parish uses. But if not probably almost any Bible from Catholics, Protestants or EO will do in the short run.

Saint Mesrop Mashtots, Mesrop also spelled Mesrob, (born c. 360, Hatsik, Armenia [modern Muş, Turkey]—died February 17, 440; Western feast day, Thursday following 4th Sunday after Pentecost, and Monday following 3rd Sunday after the Assumption; Armenian feast day, February 19), monk, theologian, and linguist who, according to tradition, invented the Armenian script in 405 and helped establish Armenia’s golden age of Christian literature.

After studying Classical languages with the patriarch Nerses I, Mesrop Mashtots began a monastic existence about 395. He was ordained a priest, maintained a lifelong esteem for the ascetic life, and founded several monasteries. He spread the Gospel in remote areas of Armenia and suppressed Mazdaism, a religion descended from Zoroastrianism. Later, he served as chancellor to King Vramshapuh, who supported him in systematizing or inventing the definitive 36-character Armenian alphabet, following a Greek model; Isaac the Great, supreme head of the Armenian Apostolic Church, and a Greek known as Rufanos were also believed to have helped. (Two letters were added later.) This alphabet was initially used to translate from the Greek the first popular Armenian Bible, the “Mesropian” Bible (c. 410). Mesrop Mashtots himself was responsible for translating the New Testament and the Old Testament book of Proverbs. He subsequently revised the entire text.

Mesrop Mashtots dispatched his circle of scholars to Constantinople (modern Istanbul), Alexandria, and Rome in search of biblical and literary manuscripts. A collection of biblical commentaries, translations of patristic works, and liturgical prayers and hymns constructed on an eight-tone scale is credited to him, corroborating his reputation for having laid the foundation of a national Armenian liturgy.

Saint Mesrop Mashtots | Armenian theologian and linguist

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Please ignore, every post. Brahev first of all, the book you need is Septuagint or LXX..your apostolic not Oriental...I know because I'm Armenian/Persian decent..and mass as well at the local Armenian Church in my state. St. Sarkis,, your faith Goes back to 325 AD.. My Christian brother and sister please know I dont mean butany disrespect but please stop confusing the individual.

The Armenian Apostolic Church is the national church of the Armenian people. Part of Oriental Orthodoxy, it is one of the most ancient Christian communities.
- Excerpt from Wikipedia: Link

Also, LXX is just the Old Testament of the bible. An important part for sure, but you will lack what the final messages those books were talking about without the New Testament.

Upvote 0