One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My dear Atheist it is hard to find a way out of the pit when the truth of your life has gone down that hole so long before you did. That is why it is best to realise that lies cannot sustain life nor bring any good things around, only destruction, pain and death results from lies. This my friend is where you are at right now. The truth of your life stuck in the truth of the lie no wonder you are hurting so badly.

You need the truth back into your life before you can escape that hole though. Only the truth is real and can overcome untrue and its misery

Praying for you.:hug:

The Truth Of The Lie Ruling.
Who knows the truth of the lie ruling?
Who knows the deceiver deceived?
Who knows that unfaithful betrayer?
Who killed The Truth right within you?

Was it not lies spooking around from the dark?
Was it not bad life creeping up from behind?
Was your hair standing up straight meeting evil?
Was there a chill when you perished there all alone?

Isn't the truth of the lie hiding behind true you hurting?
Isn't the deceiver dwelling in your palaces as well?
Isn't his deceptive voice a ruler over your life at times?
Isn't your troubled mind the place the liar has his throne?

Check out the Big I ruling your gone astray life in you!
Check out the Big I always taking first place above you!
Check out the Big I thinking better of itself than you!
Check out The Big I 't heart of The Lie himself you!

True self sadly dies at the murderous hand of the lie!
True misery wells from the Abyss that is untrue self
Untrue lies hurts true self with an untimely death
True life is persecuted right within us by darkness.

Untrue you needs to be exposed by God's Word
Untrue you needs to be escaped in Holy Spirit
Untrue you can not remain forever in you!
Untrue you needs to make place for true you again!

You need to see Jesus on the clouds of Heaven,
You need to be shaped anew by His loving truth.
You need a new heart and a new (S)spirit
You need to be in the first resurrection to live.

Let the lie die and kneel before The Truth
Let lies hold drop into that bottomless pit
Let the misery all go down that drain for good
Let you be a child of The Truth down here.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are "you" a convinced atheist, or one that can't believe in a God like the one religious people talk about and demonstrate in their lives?

Christianity is NOT the answer. (Even if I think I know what you mean.) Christ is. And that will need to be a significant distinction in befriending this person. Because befriending him/her is fundamental.

I have worked with atheists for most of my life. Many of them have been more genuine in their "acts of kindness" than Christians I know. You are not likely to convince an atheist about God by intellectual argument. You have to demonstrate the love of God in real ways. And while you're doing that you must listen, listen, listen. Many of the things s/he will say to you in defence of his/her atheism will be attacks of Christian behaviour, church history, the apparent contradiction between your description of God as a being the God of Love and the interminable wars afflicting people throughout history in the name of god or religion. And you'll have to admit at face value much of this is true. You must listen to both the atheist and to God's voice.

God loves this person, and you can be sure that He has been working somewhere in this person's life. If/when the time is right, the atheist will talk about something and the Holy Spirit will say something like ... "that's your key - follow that and your witness with My inner conviction will move this person one step closer..." But you gotta listen actively and not get defensive and argumentative about your beliefs.

I also know a few very depressed people. Reasoning is not likely to help them either. I know devout Christians that are deeply deeply depressed. Elijah was most depressed immediately after his greatest victory. There are lots of reasons for depression and just now I doubt there is any single answer. Do not assume that your earlier depression (in the real you) is anthing like the depression your atheist 'you' is suffering. It can be clinical, it can be a result of crashed self-image (out of work, can't get a girlfried like 'you,') or very evidently a result of angst from severe guilt, lack of a forgiving spirit, bitterness and resentment, or...

Even the deeply depressed person needs someone who will "be there," will listen, listen, listen, and NOT give loads of advice which seems so obvious but immediately says in effect "what kind of an idiot are you that can't see that this is what you have to do!" to the deepressed person. Provide practical help, not pontification.

If your depressed atheist wants to complain about the "so-called God of love" and about Christians today and through history, invite him/her to complain direct to God. Make it clear that you can complain directly to him, and if he wants words show him scriptures (without chapter numbers and verses) where people put into writing their complaints and accusations to God.

Both because of the nature of convinced atheists and deeply depression, don't expect quick results. So spend a lot of time in prayer, alone and with Christian friends.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Saint Nod

Saint Nod
Feb 15, 2017
australia
✟14,040.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you drew this!! I've been trying to do it on the computer!!! All I need is pen and paper and then scan & post it! Thanks!!
Hey no problems... I really like its simple easy to do format.
It does come with an app which is handy for our youth to have on their phones so that they can share it with their friends...
Get the Big Story App | InterVarsity - Evangelism

Upvote 0

Joni Berry

Jul 5, 2016
Texas
✟7,942.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??
Before someone can see Christ in themselves, they have to see Christ in you by your actions. I would take him to get something to eat first. Ask questions and then sit back and allow him to express why and how he got to where he is in life...desperate. Be a good listener. Then express to him my desire to help him find his way back, maybe come up with a game plan for getting a job and such. If he asks why I am helping, I would tell him I believe in helping others. If he asks am I a Christian. I would answer yes, but then I would tell him he has nothing to worry about. I don't plan on hitting him over the head with it and "healing" him. (Southern Baptist Joke) I just want to help. Then is the process of meeting each day and beginning a relationship of helping him rebuild his life. During these times I might bring up a man named Job, who sat in ashes naked because he had boils and sores all over his body. Now that is a bad life. And then continue on with how the story ended. You can tell him things like even though he does not believe in God, God believes in him. Why else would you be there helping? Like I said it is building a relationship, and seeing Christ in you, which will bring him to Christ. That is what I would try, but everyone has to figure out what works for them. God Bless You!

Upvote 0

JGHorton

Retired and in Ministry - ucanknowthetruth.com
Jul 13, 2011
✟10,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because I'd like to develop my own style of evangelising. What is the best way to convince non-believers? Non-believers who are so depressed and looking for answers. We have a huge responsibility if we are to draw people to the faith. I happen to think Christ is the answer, even though my journey is fairly short so far. What am I going to say? My Christian apologetics is poor. What verses from the Bible are crucial? I guess I might try the following:
"I am the way the truth and the life." But how is that going to sound to an unbeliever? It might sound like white noise. Irrelevant to where they are at the time. What layman's language is suitable?
Personally I found "Jesus died for your sins" a guilt trip. It didnt work. So different verses for different people.
I think what appealed to me at the time of conversion was being able to hand my worries over to God. that was very attractive.

Over the years in ministry, I've seen this challenge become more and more prominent. That's a good thing because says the person is actually starting to think about the deeper questions of life. Frankly, I often find it easier to talk with adamant non-believers (Atheists), than to lukewarm Christians who have spent their entire lives and church, but are still as lost as Easter eggs. Perhaps that is because I spent years in sales and learned to view "No" as an opporrtunity to sell, not the end of the conversation.

instead of simply 'diving-in with a bucket of answers,' I've found it is important to engage the other person and understand where they are coming from and why they are issuing the challenge. I do that by asking some key questions: 1) What DO you believe about God? (Surprisingly, many professing Atheists are actually angry with God) , 2) What is the basis you use for determining something is true or false?, (The problem is often not what one believes or not, but WHY). 3) Do you ever change your mind about anything you previously believed ... or are you rigidly inflexible and unwilling to even listen to anything that does not agree with what you already believe? (Is the person simply looking to show you how smart they are by debating atheism versus Christianity ... or are they sincerely looking for answers in life?)

There are many verifiable proofs the Bible IS God's true word ... that do not immediately require one believe Scripture, before believing in Jesus Christ. (I've written a book on Amazon -"You Can Know the Truth" web: UCanKnowTheTruth.com). This book provides solid, incontrovertible evidence for the Bible, such as prophecy, science, archeology, literature., Mathematics and many others.

Another approach that works is to share my own Christian testimony. People can and will often debate facts and information, but, what can they really say about your testimony? Also, another important key to evangelizing a hard core Atheist, is not to try to argue them into God's Kingdom in the next 10-minutes.

Relax and realize that saving souls is God's work, not ours! God loves the Atheist and wants them in His kingdom, even more that you do! Before you respond with all of your wisdom, pray that God through His Holy Spirit will lead abd guide you and the Atheist.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 13:44

Becoming a Christian is like the man who found the treasure. It is something that is worth "selling" everything you have to gain the treasure. Atheists see a field and do not comprehend the treasure that it holds. When you find the treasure you give all you have to get it. Once you have it you can help others to find the same treasure for themselves.

• Agree
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??
Depends on the individual, but...
Would you like to hear about the real meaning of life which has escaped you. Follow with the Gospel message.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What question are you looking for an answer to?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tonnerkiller

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
✟12,089.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You want an answer, then ask an actual question. I would listen, maybe ask some questions myself to understand better, and listen. I think this is the most important.
And then I think the whole thing is more about walking the walk than talking the talk.
If I treat you like an object for evangelization, I will fail, even if you confess Jesus in the end. Because it will be a Jesus who'd deem it right to objectify people rather than seeing them as subjects. Treating them as objects puts them below us. We are active, they are to be passive. But we are peers, all humans, all sinners and know what? We are called to rather serve then be served.
So whoever we meet, be he depressive, an atheist and what not, is first and foremost our brother. If he (or she) is in trouble: Listen, offer help. Or to put it short: Live like you are the Christian you are. Don't worry about what to tell people, worry about how to actually help them in their worldly needs. Guess what: Nonchristians hardly do this. Well, not without following any secret plan to "conquer" the person for whatever cause. The gospel is pure liberty. We don't conquer people! We don't need to.
By just behaving the way we should, we will ignite so many questions within the people we do help, we will never have to worry where to start to tell them about Jesus and salvation. They'll guide us the way with their questions. All we need to do is to answer and to be honest (well, things Christians should do anyway), even if we might think being honest in one point or another will hurt the "mission". Our mission is to behave Christian and that is also to be honest. Everything else is the mission of the Holy Ghost. Let's not try to do His work better than He does, okay?

I do firmly believe that this way would be the best to approach people. Well, at least better than just worrying about words that can always be misunderstood as shallow. If you do something, if you get your hands dirty helping, no one will call it shallow, though they might laugh at you giving so much without asking anything in return. Let them laugh...

Ah, and a word or two on depressions: It's an illness. You can well be Christian and suffer from it. It's not like you deny God or that He could or would help you. It's "just" the feeling that God stopped talking, so even if you believe and long for God to break the silence, you feel down and alone. It's pure hell, I can tell you. I've been at that point and it's not fun at all or something to blame people for. My faith helped me in that time, so I had something to cling to, but it wasn't much more. A slight hope that someone could come and help me some time. So please stop saying you get depressions from not believing or not believing enough. I've found most people who suffer from depression I know are devout believers. Actually I can think of no person who suffers from depression who is not a devout believer, though there might be.

God bless

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Are you trying to imply that all atheists are unhappy, desperate, and disillusioned?

The way you're putting your original post seems to indicate that you are under the impression that an atheist is an atheist because they've been unable to 'fix some problems' via Christianity, or do not know how Christianity works to fix problems.

Having talked to a few both online and in real life, some atheists—maybe even many—are not atheists out of some disillusionment, or out of depression, or any some such emotional draw or emotional 'pushing away', but are atheist because god does not appear to actually exist to them in reality.

Upvote 0

Kapusta

Nov 15, 2005
at home
✟8,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's the old line... how many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Only one, but the bulb has to really WANT to change. OR " None, the bulb will change itself when it is ready."

Nobody can force another to accept Christ. It's really hard to convince an atheist who has not had an encounter with God. Conversion is slow. It takes a process of catechesis and a desire and willingness to encounter God. Ultimately, we pray for the lost souls and we show love and compassion and set an example of the Godly life. We try to maintain a conversation about God and His Works, and educate ourselves about the human condition and how we relate to God in this fallen world. Finally, we realize that we can only do so much, and that our greatest act is to have faith in the Holy Spirit.

I think, too, that we can be there to support, listen and validate the person's feelings. Remember that (in the words of Ian Maclaren) “Be pitiful, for every man is fighting a hard battle.” Do not judge; listen to understand. Be aware of when the depressed person needs professional (or emergency) response.

My last thought is from Psalm 34: "O taste and see that the Lord is good." Christianity is experiential and visceral, not intellectual. If you can, see if you can get the atheist to experience Christian worship. Worship is directed to God, and not our egos or intellectual constructs of God. In the words of St. John Chrysostom's Divine Liturgy "For unto Thee are due all glory, honor, and worship."

Upvote 0

only1grace

May 16, 2016
Indonesia
✟15,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This world need true love, especially those who are depressed by their condition. Only Jesus can offer true love.
What you have to do in evangelism is not make them afraid of burning in Hell, that make many false repentance.
Instead of that, show to them what true love is. Show them how much God's love is, how much He loves us that He did not retain His greatness but died for our sin, so that we can live fully (not live in sin anymore) and accepted in Heaven.

Please forgive my poor english, but I hope you get the point

• Agree
Upvote 0

47Ford

Sep 9, 2016
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟15,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have read much of Scripture and thought about it. Even the passages that unbelievers claim are problematic. I do pay attention to sermons at church, they are about Scripture, context, and application. My church is Bible-based and has always emphasized loving people, so I don't see conservative teaching as opposed to love; I don't believe there is a trade-off between the truth and love if you're doing it right. I've been exposed to reasons why people don't believe, and I am able to analyze them critically, like reading a book that I disagree with. I've made it my business to know what I can, and I've made it my business to try and not be rude when sharing with people. When the truth brings conflict, as much as I can help it, I'm not going to be the bad guy.

Amen and amen! Paul, IMO Sketcher's several posts are key to this issue. Evangelism won't work without love. We are to love others whether or not they agree with us and the gospel message. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care! An evangelistic message given in the context of true friendship, love, and caring will make it's way beyond someone's mind and into their heart. Otherwise it may not. If the message is not received; if the person does not agree with the gospel, we are to continue to love that person nonetheless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This world need true love, especially those who are depressed by their condition. Only Jesus can offer true love.
What you have to do in evangelism is not make them afraid of burning in Hell, that make many false repentance.
Instead of that, show to them what true love is. Show them how much God's love is, how much He loves us that He did not retain His greatness but died for our sin, so that we can live fully (not live in sin anymore) and accepted in Heaven.

Please forgive my poor english, but I hope you get the point

I'm not sure if saying "Believe in Jesus or you'll go to hell" is "true love" or would have anyone feel better.

• Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Imagine you're an atheist and you're depending on us all to convince you that Christianity is the answer. The appropriate response is no along with the number for the suicide hotline if said individual also claims to be suicidal. Not one person is ever going to convince another that God exists. It all boils down to personal experience and I believe that God draws people to Himself. I don't think you can truly discuss converting to Christianity with someone that doesn't even believe that God exists. It is truly a pointless endeavor. True seekers aren't going to be demanding you to convince them of things on the Internet anyway. You're right though, it is the person of Christ that draws people in.

It's what brought me back after I had given up on Christianity for a few years. It certainly wasn't Christians that drew me to Christianity, that's for sure. However, it was also personal interest in religion and actually searching for answers that helped too. I looked into quite a few world religions and philosophies, read quite a few religious texts, went to some religious services, and none of them did it for me. It was only a direct personal experience with Christ that drew me back.

The sort of folks that have their little disingenuous pleas on the Internet are full of it half the time. This board is full of trolls that seem to take their inspiration from bad country songs. They don't want to be convinced of anything and are playing games. More than half of the folks that come here talking about their troubles with faith and ask what to do, only want people to tell them what they want to hear, or are actively trying to stir the pot for their own jollies. Some only want to hear that they can call themselves Christians, that all will be well with their soul, and they can go on living like the world (i.e. their conscience is bothering them and they want others to soothe it for them so they can go on pretending all is well). Very rarely do any respond well to the truth, which tells me all I need to know about their intentions.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Only Jesus can offer true love.
some might say that is debateable.
I have felt love from non-Christian believers. So that love comes from Jesus indirectly?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
And thanks to all the responses. I am overwhelmed and need time to go through and read each one more carefully. Food for thought. I am sure all of us have different strategies.
Looking at my thread title, it may come across as the atheist is putting responsibility or onus on the Christian, instead of taking more responsibility himself. What might be a better thread title is:
"I am an atheist but am recently interested in Christianity. Can you tell me why Christianity is the answer for you?"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.