Europe
✟18,524.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I right now feel apathy and not as much fear as before. I seem to be falling away. I don't know if I could do anything about this. It feels like I do not understand the Bible at all anymore, like why Jesus died on the cross and such. I really don't want to fall away because I know the consequences. I wish I could do something. I don't know if these are just feelings though

Last edited:

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi the promises in Gods word are powerful and one of them is that faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God. I imagine your Bible study and devotion time are not significant. The thing about modern Christianity is they focus on Jesus love and all but not on the foundation of your being redeemed from eternal judgment and deservedly so. The love of Christ taking out place and then giving us His Spirit is something you can personally experience. The dissatisfaction or apathy you have many find out as in reality your walk was more on the broad road than the narrow one. This is a choice and when you are Jesus disciple it is much more that getting a get out of hell card. This world is no longer your home and the life you live is dedicated to knowing and serving the LORD. Start reading the gospel of John and remember Jesus said a bent reed he will not break or a smoldering wick he will not put out. He will revive your soul and your faith by your own will to choose to do it. Start worshiping and meditating on who God is and who you are that is how you get the right perspective.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
There may be sins I am not willing to let go of without even knowing. Do you need to have conviction of sins before confessing them?

Edit: I don't believe I am saved because I do not see that my sins are wicked and I do not believe I am in a struggle with sin because I can't think of any particular sin that I may be repulsed by or am struggling with.
Don't trap yourself by endeavoring to rank your sins by severity. Any sin is sufficient to bring about death. Adam and Eve sinned before there ever was a law given by God to Moses.
God has said that the soul that sinneth shall surely die. The wages of sin is death. Romans 6:23 Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned.
Conviction comes through hearing the word of God and understanding that it applies to you and every other soul
Get a bible and make time to read the Gospel of John and the book of Romans. Pray and ask God to open your understanding of these books.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I right now feel apathy and not as much fear as before. I seem to be falling away. I don't know if I could do anything about this. It feels like I do not understand the Bible at all anymore, like why Jesus died on the cross and such. I really don't want to fall away because I know the consequences. I wish I could do something. I don't know if these are just feelings though
Welcome to CF. Do you love Jesus Christ of Nazareth?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a Christian community that you're part of? A church, or a supportive Bible study group, something like that? I'm a little worried that you're sitting alone in your room with your Bible, trying to feel the right feelings about stuff, and trying to understand Christianity all on your own.

Some Christian communities are toxic, and some are wonderfully supportive, so be cautious as you seek out a community. But a good Christian community can give you strength and courage and hope. Are you feeling today like you can't pray? They can pray for you. Are you feeling alone in your struggles? Some of them have had the same struggles, and can share their stories. Are there things you don't understand about the Christian faith? They can share their understandings with you.

There have been lots of Sunday mornings when I didn't feel anything -- not joy, not guilt, just kind of groggy bleh -- but I wanted to worship God, so I went to church, and we prayed together and sang together and shared the Eucharist. I still maybe wasn't feeling anything that day, because feelings come and go, but I gathered with my fellow Christians and together we made an offering to God.

You don't have to be alone in your spiritual journey.

Upvote 0

Aug 4, 2022
Europe
✟18,524.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a Christian community that you're part of? A church, or a supportive Bible study group, something like that? I'm a little worried that you're sitting alone in your room with your Bible, trying to feel the right feelings about stuff, and trying to understand Christianity all on your own.

Some Christian communities are toxic, and some are wonderfully supportive, so be cautious as you seek out a community. But a good Christian community can give you strength and courage and hope. Are you feeling today like you can't pray? They can pray for you. Are you feeling alone in your struggles? Some of them have had the same struggles, and can share their stories. Are there things you don't understand about the Christian faith? They can share their understandings with you.

There have been lots of Sunday mornings when I didn't feel anything -- not joy, not guilt, just kind of groggy bleh -- but I wanted to worship God, so I went to church, and we prayed together and sang together and shared the Eucharist. I still maybe wasn't feeling anything that day, because feelings come and go, but I gathered with my fellow Christians and together we made an offering to God.

You don't have to be alone in your spiritual journey.
I am not part of any Christian community, maybe I should become.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, I do want a relationship with God and to know Him aswell, I believe, if my mind is not tricking me im some way.
No sense forcing it. Might be an idea to think about what would need to happen to sway your mind in the right direction.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟243,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What your describing is what I think many people go through like a crisis of doubt. I can relate to this and even to the point of disbelieving its truths and thinking some of the critics were perhaps right about the bible and taking a more atheistic view.

But I think this is natural. We are living in a material world and Gods truths have no physical form to latch onto. But the good thing is that Gods truths stick around. They may go to the background or get lost in this world but they persist and nag away at you. Even if that light may dimmer to the point it seems extinguished its still simmering.

I don't think any amount of logical reasoning ever resolves things. It just goes round in circles. Sometimes its just a case of an assumption held about what a person is suppose to be like to be Christian like they should not feel this or that or have doubts and you realize that God never abandoned you, you just got sidetracked for a while and maybe needed that experience to help you grow.

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟68,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are many worthwhile suggestions here on how to motivate your faith walk. Let me give another perspective from my own experience.

I've been a saved Christian believer since childhood, never having any doubts in the Bible's authority, but learning only later in life how little of it I understood. Reading the Word every day was good worship time, but I probably missed 95% of the complex, intertwined details that exist throughout the 66 books.

My faith's always been strong, but it wasn't until I started studying Christian apologetics that I became real interested in it. As I studied and learned more via books, articles, and videos, I became more impressed with the Bible and passionate with my faith. I still read the Bible every day, but it's my related studies, much being YouTube video sermons and presentations, that keeps me excited and passionate about all things Christian related. There's sooooooo much within the Bible that affects our world, that it's a lifelong endeavor to study it all.

I agree with others that you should pray, ask God's Spirit to work on your heart, and read his Word every day. But for some added motivational attention to your faith walk, I'd suggest that you start watching Christian Apologetic videos regularly. An hour of your time each morning or evening feeding your mind with good stuff (instead of TV garbage) can have life changing effects. Let me know if you like the idea and want some suggestions. After many years of reading, watching, and building a library collection, I have a dozen topics of interest to delve into - all related in one way or another to knowing and loving God more each day.

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

When's the last time you went to church? How connected are you in the church?

I ask, because I feel like I know how you're feeling. After my dad passed away a couple years ago I lost a lot of motivation to do much, and I stopped going to church. I've been chugging along the past several years, but constantly being drained spiritually, mentally, and emotionally.

I didn't try to stop going to church, I just lacked the energy to leave my house. Even as I was on this forum talking about how important being connected and being supported by the Body of Christ is. The importance of hearing the word of God, celebrating the Lord's Supper.

Things began to reach a boiling point several weeks ago. Filled with all manner of intrusive thoughts, and the darkness of loss--like my faith itself was slipping through my fingers. This past Saturday I broke down, and got in touch with family. They came over, and I was an emotional wreck, shaking, sobbing uncontrollably. On Sunday I went to church for the first time in over three years.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that everything is magically good now. But I've been in the Scriptures again, and have taken time out of my day to sing hymns, to read the Scriptures, and to pray. I have a very long road ahead of me, but I'm taking baby steps.

We can't do this alone. None of us can. We aren't islands. We're people, and people need people. And the Church is supposed to be where God and people meet: Meeting together in worship, meeting together in the word, meeting together in the Lord's Supper. We were built to be for one another. We are meant for life together.

The New Testament calls this koinonia, I don't know what the translation of this word into Swedish is, but in English it is usually translated as communion or fellowship. It's life together; I for you, you for me. Meeting one another in life, and supporting each other in our needs--with love.

St. Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians compares the Church to a body, speaking of how a body has many members--hands, feet, arms, etc. The Church is called the Body of Christ for this reason. We depend on one another, because it is only together, as the Body, that we are healthy.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aug 4, 2022
Europe
✟18,524.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When's the last time you went to church? How connected are you in the church?

I ask, because I feel like I know how you're feeling. After my dad passed away a couple years ago I lost a lot of motivation to do much, and I stopped going to church. I've been chugging along the past several years, but constantly being drained spiritually, mentally, and emotionally.

I didn't try to stop going to church, I just lacked the energy to leave my house. Even as I was on this forum talking about how important being connected and being supported by the Body of Christ is. The importance of hearing the word of God, celebrating the Lord's Supper.

Things began to reach a boiling point several weeks ago. Filled with all manner of intrusive thoughts, and the darkness of loss--like my faith itself was slipping through my fingers. This past Saturday I broke down, and got in touch with family. They came over, and I was an emotional wreck, shaking, sobbing uncontrollably. On Sunday I went to church for the first time in over three years.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that everything is magically good now. But I've been in the Scriptures again, and have taken time out of my day to sing hymns, to read the Scriptures, and to pray. I have a very long road ahead of me, but I'm taking baby steps.

We can't do this alone. None of us can. We aren't islands. We're people, and people need people. And the Church is supposed to be where God and people meet: Meeting together in worship, meeting together in the word, meeting together in the Lord's Supper. We were built to be for one another. We are meant for life together.

The New Testament calls this koinonia, I don't know what the translation of this word into Swedish is, but in English it is usually translated as communion or fellowship. It's life together; I for you, you for me. Meeting one another in life, and supporting each other in our needs--with love.

St. Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians compares the Church to a body, speaking of how a body has many members--hands, feet, arms, etc. The Church is called the Body of Christ for this reason. We depend on one another, because it is only together, as the Body, that we are healthy.

-CryptoLutheran
I have never been going to church regularly but that's because my faith is not genuine and that is because I had a fake conversion out of self pity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reasonable Christian

Dec 15, 2020
Maryland
✟19,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never been going to church regularly but that's because my faith is not genuine and that is because I had a fake conversion out of self pity.

When you say this, what exactly do you mean? It would help me understand how to address your concerns.

Upvote 0

Aug 4, 2022
Europe
✟18,524.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When you say this, what exactly do you mean? It would help me understand how to address your concerns.
I started believing for the wrong reasons, selfish reasons. I confessed to someone about a thing I had done but it was only out of fear and that started when I read the bible once and was afraid of punishment but had no real sorrow over what I had done only a fear and then I started to want to be a christian but never actually fully believing I was one, then I started to do more stupid things, maybe it is true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟45,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I started believing for the wrong reasons, selfish reasons. I confessed to someone about a thing I had done but it was only out of fear and that started when I read the bible once and was afraid of punishment but had no real sorrow over what I had done only a fear and then I started to want to be a christian but never actually fully believing I was one, then I started to do more stupid things, maybe it is true.
It's never too late to get to know the Lord. He can turn your life around for good, and He wants you to have an abundant and productive life now, and forever.
I pray the Spirit will touch your heart, and that you come to want to truly know Him. In Jesus name. Amen.

Upvote 0

Reasonable Christian

Dec 15, 2020
Maryland
✟19,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree these aren’t good reasons to become a Christian. However, there are many excellent ones, starting with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus — all of which are well-documented in history. I would encourage you to examine that evidence. Start with “The Case for Christ” by Lee Strobel. If you find it compelling, as I do, it will give you a sound intellectual basis for trusting in what Christ did on the cross to absolve you of your sins (we’re all sinners), genuinely repenting of those sins, and asking Him to be Lord of your life. If you do that, and mean it, you will be a Christian.

Upvote 0