United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

Id like to ask a question regarding something I enjoy very much.

Like the title states,I’m very erudite in History of wars,Us history,general history,and Geography.However I’m slightly very very slightly worried that being smart in this material isn’t Good,Is it a good thing I like history?

Reactions: Ligurian

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

Like the title states,I’m very erudite in History of wars,Us history,general history,and Geography.However I’m slightly very very slightly worried that being smart in this material isn’t Good,Is it a good thing I like history?

History is an extremely useful thing to know and study. I'd say it is a good thing. Model yourself after the historians who put together books of the Bible like Chronicles, or how St. Luke did research for his Gospel, clearly studying history is not a bad thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What most historians overlook is the lessons learned. Mankind keeps making the same mistakes over and over and history teaches nothing except maybe a better way to next time get the upper hand temporarily. This rather than how to avoid the skirmishes and oppression in the first place. If historians did their job, the system man has employed since the beginning would have been changed by now.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

Yes.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
What most historians overlook is the lessons learned. Mankind keeps making the same mistakes over and over and history teaches nothing except maybe a better way to next time get the upper hand temporarily. This rather than how to avoid the skirmishes and oppression in the first place. If historians did their job, the system man has employed since the beginning would have been changed by now.

Unfortunately, it's the best warriors who write history books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I think you're being a bit harsh on historians. The job of a historian is to investigate and report on historic events - hopefully accurately and hopefully without too much bias.

It's up to the relevant bits of society to decide what to take from history to improve the future and avoid past mistakes. Historians rarely have the power to change societies directly.

OB

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I hate war. Most of history is very sad, war, injustice, crime, violence, plaques, illness, idol worship, evil witchcraft religion, greed, vanity, slavery, dirty nasty politics, poverty, extortion, lies, gambling, oppression, suppression of different races and women, dirty unclean filthy squalid cities with unhealthy conditions, disease, etc.

I like the history of fashion, art, archetechture, building, gardening, scientific technology, medical technology developing the cure for diseases and better health cleaner living, healthier nutrtion more middle class less poverty and squalor, more justice, human rights, freedom, equality, love, kindness, manners, hope, faith, patience, tolerance, peace, compassion, good civilization instead of barbarianism

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hate war. Most of history is very sad, war, injustice, crime, violence, plaques, illness, idol worship, evil witchcraft religion, greed, vanity, slavery, dirty nasty politics, poverty, extortion, lies, gambling, oppression, suppression of different races and women, dirty unclean filthy squalid cities with unhealthy conditions, disease, etc.
Welcome to the traditional ways and will of man

I like the history of fashion, art, archetechture, building, gardening, scientific technology, medical technology developing the cure for diseases and better health cleaner living, healthier nutrtion more middle class less poverty and squalor, more justice, human rights, freedom, equality, love, kindness, manners, hope, faith, patience, tolerance, peace, compassion, good civilization instead of barbarianism
Welcome to the ways and will of the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
True but they all fall and never write why.

Sometimes they do write why... but these books are not best-sellers.

"For Cadwallader's mother was own sister to Penda, and her mother was of a noble family in Erging and Euas: and Cadwallon had married Cadwallader's mother when he made the league with Penda. During these disturbances, a pestilence and a famine...
When it ceased, those of the Saxons who had escaped it, sent information to Germany, that the island was destitute of inhabitants, and advised them to come and take a cheap possession of it. That people therefore collected an immense number of men and women, who "with their queen Sexburgis" landed in the North, and settled in the kingdom from Norway* to Cornwall;{*} there remaining no Britons able to oppose them."
--Peter Roberts' translation of the Brut Tyssilio, from the Red book of Hergest, called the Chronicle of the Kings of Britain
{* "Triad 7. There remained none of the Loegrians that did not become Saxons, except those that are found in Cornwall, and the Commot of Carnoban (Cornavii) in Deria (Deira) and Bernicia in this period."
(see also Richard of Cirencester's Description of Britain, translation by Giles...
and remember that Inconvenient History is often called "forgery"...
tptb's usual way of dealing with what's been dragged out of hiding.}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

"Some persons will perhaps say that this kind of work is not absolutely necessary either for divine worship or greater things. But let them know that leisure hours may be dedicated to the study of the antiquities of our country without any derogation from the sacred character. Yet if censorious people envy us such pleasures at leisure hours, hastening to the end and almost arrived at the goal, we here check our steps."--Richard of Cirencestor, Description of Britain, Giles' translation

Needless to say, Richard was censored... then called a forgery, so we wouldn't read his book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I think you're being a bit harsh on historians. The job of a historian is to investigate and report on historic events - hopefully accurately and hopefully without too much bias.

It's up to the relevant bits of society to decide what to take from history to improve the future and avoid past mistakes. Historians rarely have the power to change societies directly.
OB

Where do you suppose the textbooks come from, which are taught to school children? Are both sides of the known invasions ever taught... anywhere? Aren't the languages of countries also being changed via the schools? What sort of society is left to the indigenes, but that of the conquerors?
Seriously.
The "historians" are the leading edge of societal change. And these "historians" include all forms of the MSM. What is and isn't published by them... and when, clearly shows their agenda. What is and isn't censored tells you their plan at any given time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0