• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I’m scared God is going to kill me in a plane crash

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not long ago (a couple of months ago) I was scared to get on a plane and my a vow with god basically like “hey God please don’t kill me in a plane crash and I’ll do... yada yada yada” well I’m unhappy to see I’ve don’t “yada yada” plenty of times. It was (having sex/masturbating by the way). That was the only “really” sinful thing I thought I was doing at the time. Now I’m scared to death to get on a plane and fear I’ll be the victim of an aerobatic accident due to not keeping my vow. I’ve “repented” and the fear still lingers in me. I realize that in the Bible God is claimed to be merciful but the stories I’ve read (Golden Calf, David’s adultery and Ananias and Sapphira) it seems God isn’t that merciful even when one is repentant (David’s son still being killed). I don’t want this fear to stop from living my life and traveling but...

• Prayers
Reactions: Brightmoon

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The punishment in the Old Testament for masturbating was that the person had to wash themselves to become ceremonially clean. They wouldn't stone you or anything. You had to take a shower. So do you think God is really going to kill you and everyone else on the plane for not keeping a vow to not touch that you made under duress for fear of flying?

David did a lot more than adultery. He then had Bathsheba's husband killed in battle to cover up the adultery. That was premeditated murder.

Upvote 0

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The punishment in the Old Testament for masturbating was that the person had to wash themselves to become ceremonially clean. They wouldn't stone you or anything. You had to take a shower. So do you think God is really going to kill you and everyone else on the plane for not keeping a vow to not touch that you made under duress for fear of flying?

David did a lot more than adultery. He then had Bathsheba's husband killed in battle to cover up the adultery. That was premeditated murder.
For breaking a vow? Yes

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God knows the future, He knew that you were going to make and break that silly vow even before you made it and broke it, yet He didn't crash that plane. Nothing comes as a surprise to God, not even the fact that you couldn't keep that vow.

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not long ago (a couple of months ago) I was scared to get on a plane and my a vow with god basically like “hey God please don’t kill me in a plane crash and I’ll do... yada yada yada” well I’m unhappy to see I’ve don’t “yada yada” plenty of times. It was (having sex/masturbating by the way). That was the only “really” sinful thing I thought I was doing at the time. Now I’m scared to death to get on a plane and fear I’ll be the victim of an aerobatic accident due to not keeping my vow. I’ve “repented” and the fear still lingers in me. I realize that in the Bible God is claimed to be merciful but the stories I’ve read (Golden Calf, David’s adultery and Ananias and Sapphira) it seems God isn’t that merciful even when one is repentant (David’s son still being killed). I don’t want this fear to stop from living my life and traveling but...
Tommy I think I have already tried to talk to you about your fears before. This whole fear thing you are suffering is not from your heavenly Father.
You would do well to listen to grace preachers to get a new view of God.
Jesus is the Father revealed.
What you see Jesus doing and saying is the Father's heart.
Jesus says to you no one can snatch you out of His hand....he says I will in no wise cast you out.
Your sins are all forgiven brother.
Thank God that he has nailed to the cross every sin you have or ever will do.
Col 2:13.

Upvote 0

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tommy I think I have already tried to talk to you about your fears before. This whole fear thing you are suffering is not from your heavenly Father.
You would do well to listen to grace preachers to get a new view of God.
Jesus is the Father revealed.
What you see Jesus doing and saying is the Father's heart.
Jesus says to you no one can snatch you out of His hand....he says I will in no wise cast you out.
Your sins are all forgiven brother.
Thank God that he has nailed to the cross every sin you have or ever will do.
Col 2:13.
But Jesus being nailed to the cross doesn’t stop sin from being punished all the time like Ananais and Sapphire who were both under grace but still had temporal punishment

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not going to try to lessen the seriousness of vows nor the importance of obedience, but I will mention that God does not see us how we see ourselves. Remember we are like children to him. We are not intellectually nor morally mature, we are petulant, flippant, foolish, self-important, self-centered, silly savages, compared to him, and he is not fooled even when we fool ourselves. I want to say he doesn't take us seriously, but that can be misleading to say, but compare your vow, and your disobedience, to that of an immature child. What does a child know? Shame, guilt, and all sorts of emotions. They need to grow up.

• Winner
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[Staff edit].

Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.
-- Luke 13

Jesus is saying having a tower on you does not mean you were especially sinful, nor does not having a tower fall on you mean you're especially righteous.

In a fallen world, bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. If good things only happened to bad people and bad things only happened to good people, it would not be a fallen world, it would be a just world.

But it's not a just world, it's a fallen world so random things happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, you think God is going to crash a plane for you only? and the other people onboard what? God punish them too with death because of you?

Also God has mercy and know we can be silly sometimes so i don't think he is going even to punish you.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,271.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God wouldn't have sent Jesus to die in agony if he'd intended on punishing people for all their sins.
The stories you have been reading are OT.

The NT says,
i) that Jesus died for sinners, Romans 5:8
ii) that he was made sin for us, 2 Corinthians 5:21
iii) that if we confess our sins God will forgive and cleanse us, 1 John 1:9
iv) that God is love, 1 John 4:8
v) that perfect love drives out all fear, 1 John 4:18.
Furthermore, if God wanted to kill you, he wouldn't need a plane to do it. If for some reason he was determined that you would die as a result of an accident with a plane, he'd cause one to fall out of the sky.
But he's not like that.

The devil wants to keep you bound by fear so that you forget the cross, don't get forgiven and spend the rest of your life being scared of your heavenly Father.
Jesus came to set us free from fear.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I struggle with masturbation too. Just keep up the fight. How I am conquering this sin I've struggled with for 13 years now, is by casting down and booking sexually arousing thoughts of mental images, especially in situations like the shower .
Even Paul admitted that he struggles with sin in Romans 7. And God didn't kill him. Anyways, Matthew 5:45 says that tragedies equally happen to good and evil people alike. Probably just in this age of grace that is.
Even people who completely turn away from God don t always have something bad happen to them right away or anyway, as far as On Earth that is. If you have you read of the parable of the progidal son?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Tommy, you bring up a few interesting points of discussion. First, sin is not just actions, it's also attitudes. For example, Jesus said in his long sermon on the mount that lust after women is the same as adultery, both of which David committed. Also, self-centered anger is equal to murder, both done by David. God sees both our desires and our emotions.

Second, if you have trusted in Jesus as the only way to God the Father and in the one God in three Persons--Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit--to rescue you, Jesus has already justified you (declared you not guilty and right with God the Judge for all your life's sins) because of his death. Also, his resurrection has given you a new birth that provides a new life that he wants you to grow. How? Bible reading and constant prayer.

Third, we are then left with the remaining sins in our lives that we must seek to overcome. How? We cannot depend on our own strength because the devil is a lot stronger than we are. On the other hand, Jesus' divine power earned for us is unlimited. The amazing thing is that he wants to give some of that power of his resurrection to us to fight the devil's temptations.

Fourth, whatever your sins are beyond the obvious sin you mentioned, you must pray persistently over a long period of time victory prayers. Several Bible passages say that we are overcomers, but it's only when we cloth ourselves with Jesus' resurrection power, that we can begin to overcome inner and outer sins (read Ephesians 6:10-20). How? Pray for the victory of Jesus' death to your sins and his resurrection to new righteous living. Then, name all the inner and outer sins that you're aware of and the new-nature attitudes and actions that must replace them. It may take years, but God will help you make progress. But you must trust totally in his strength, not your own.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

God isn't a vengeful, smiteful monster. That's just not who or what God is. If you want to know God, who God is, what God is like then look to Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0