Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know how you live your Christian life, but I found joy again in the Bible when I decided to give everything for Christ. I no longer save money for myself, I keep a "just in case" saving, but that's all. From there on everything went upward. I started evangelizing on the streets, volontering more in my church, participating in prayers, writing homilies, etc. I now try to deal with every aspect in my life where I don't serve Christ.

I hope I don't sound proud. My "just in case" savings is far more than just food and rent, also things like dentist bills, and if my car breaks down ... But I don't drive a ferrari ^_^. It's just that I don't accumulate riches any longer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been in a real slump. I know I need to get back into God’s word I’m struggling finding inspiration even after praying for it. I read the Bible of course in Church but a I can’t seem to find the motivation to pick it up while I’m at home. Anyone have similar problems and if so what have you done to get out of it? TIA

The goal should not be to get through something, but to....be with it. (or...same thing: have the Word happen to you)

So, I cannot predict whether today I'll read 1 verse, or even several chapters.

I don't know which will happen.

But, this helps me: when I want to stop and reflect even on just 1/2 of one sentence, then I do stop, and savor that 1/2 of one sentence.

It could be that a 1/2 of one sentence day will be one of the best days in that book for me!

I don't know ahead of time.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'll state what I suspect may be an unpopular opinion here to some. Sometimes I run into Christians who I think are more about Bible worship than God worship. One might easily confuse their obsession as approaching its own form of idolatry. I think Scripture is a wonderful historical accounting, a Christian guidebook, a source of inspiration, the Word of God put in print, and an aid to Christian understanding - but it is not the faith. It is not the be-all and end-all of Christianity. I doubt anyone is going to judged by how much they read the Bible. In my own life, I count worship, prayer, and living a Christian life as higher priorities than Bible reading. So if a day or two or even a week go by without my picking it up, I simply don't fret it much. I'll get back to it when the hunger for it returns, or on that day when I need the comfort of reading a familiar passage.

Perhaps its because I'm a bit long in the tooth now. Mom had me start reading the KJV nightly just a couple of years after I got through my 1st grade primer. I couldn't hazard a guess how many times I've read it through by my current age. And you know what, it still says the same thing it said the last time I read it.

So my advice to the OP is not to fret it if you need to step away from it for awhile as long as you aren't neglecting other aspects of faith practice like worship, prayer, keeping the commandments, loving your neighbor, and walking the Christian walk. The Bible will still be there when you are ready to pick it up again.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'll state what I suspect may be an unpopular opinion here to some. Sometimes I run into Christians who I think are more about Bible worship than God worship. One might easily confuse their obsession as approaching its own form of idolatry. I think Scripture is a wonderful historical accounting, a Christian guidebook, a source of inspiration, the Word of God put in print, and an aid to Christian understanding - but it is not the faith. It is not the be-all and end-all of Christianity. I doubt anyone is going to judged by how much they read the Bible. In my own life, I count worship, prayer, and living a Christian life as higher priorities than Bible reading. So if a day or two or even a week go by without my picking it up, I simply don't fret it much. I'll get back to it when the hunger for it returns, or on that day when I need the comfort of reading a familiar passage.

Perhaps its because I'm a bit long in the tooth now. Mom had me start reading the KJV nightly just a couple of years after I got through my 1st grade primer. I couldn't hazard a guess how many times I've read it through by my current age. And you know what, it still says the same thing it said the last time I read it.

So my advice to the OP is not to fret it if you need to step away from it for awhile as long as you aren't neglecting other aspects of faith practice like worship, prayer, keeping the commandments, loving your neighbor, and walking the Christian walk. The Bible will still be there when you are ready to pick it up again.
Yikes! I did read the KJV I think around age 12 or 13 (and I can't remember which translation the other instance was I read first (which helped!)), and I don't want to even try to imagine reading the KJV at age 6 or 7! Wow. Actually sounds painful. I mean if you had to read past a few chapters.

I'd like to tell you that I am a slow careful reader since my 20s when I read in the gospel accounts, and something truly surprising happened. Later. When I read again, finally about the 4th time or so.

I was sure, certain, and for good reason (I tend to remember what I read very well apparently), that I knew the words and what they said....

That was wrong.

I did know the words, yes. But I didn't yet realize they would teach me new things, over the years. Or, if you like, that He would teach me new things, as I read His words again, over the years, for the 4th, 5th, 6th time.

I was surprised about that 5th time especially, because I thought: "this time it's only for comfort, because I really got it last time, and really got the messages".

But it does not work that way. Boy was I surprised to find myself suddenly learning new things, again.

He continues to teach those who are willing to listen.

If we are willing to listen, then He will teach us.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yikes! I did read the KJV I think around age 12 or 13 (and I can't remember which translation the other instance was I read first (which helped!)), and I don't want to even try to imagine reading the KJV at age 6 or 7! Wow...

I confess I had many gaps when starting KJV due to words I didn't know and things I didn't understand. It's not like I was a child prodigy or something. I didn't understand a lot of hymns either. That whole "Silent Night" thing about a "round yon virgin" baffled me for years. I had no idea what a virgin was but whatever it was I knew it was round.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Our family motto: you won't always be motivated so learn to be disciplined. Sometimes you just need to do things regardless of whether or not you feel like it. God will bless your diligence and eventually you'll be pulled out of your slump

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I did know the words, yes. But I didn't yet realize they would teach me new things, over the years. Or, if you like, that He would teach me new things, as I read His words again, over the years, for the 4th, 5th, 6th time.

Oh totally! I don't know how many time's I've read Genesis (my favorite book) and just a couple of days ago I noticed for the first time that one of the reasons God made the sun, moon, and stars was to mark the days, seasons, and years. It's mind blowing how you can spend so much time reading the same passages of the Bible and still learn something new each time!

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I’ve been in a real slump. I know I need to get back into God’s word I’m struggling finding inspiration even after praying for it. I read the Bible of course in Church but a I can’t seem to find the motivation to pick it up while I’m at home. Anyone have similar problems and if so what have you done to get out of it? TIA

I listen to the Bible on youtube when I am too tired to read.

Here is one of the books that helped me to notice a new level of meaning behind scriptures that I hadn't noticed before.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I fall short of reading as I should, but usually I read during morning coffee or in my evening wind-down. Throughout the day, I listen to sermons, music or testimonies as much as possible. Even if I don't get a reading in, I at least get fed in some way, which is very important to me. I have a Bible app on numerous devices so I can at least ponder a daily verse if days get hectic.

Upvote 0

Donovan1972

Jan 15, 2020
✟15,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have been there. The word of God is really amazing once the key to understanding it is unlocked. I believe there are a few questions that every child of God should ask concerning His Word.
1. What is all of it really about?
2. How does it apply to me?
3. Is what I have been taught in church really all there is?
4. Do I need to study the whole Bible or just the New Testament?
5. Why is there an Old and New Testament?
6. What's going to happen in the future?
7. How does knowing the answers to these questions make all of the difference in understanding the Word?

All of these are important questions if we know the Bible to be true.
Here is a blog that is updated regular that goes deeper into the scriptures for a richer and more meaningful understanding of His word that has been preserved for us.

Harvest Calling

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Just a small update, I did make the time to do a Bible study today. I decided to just read through the NT. I looked up different ways to do a daily Bible study and I kept seeing the SOAP method, so I’m giving that a try. I also downloaded the Bible Gateway app that was recommended by someone, also got the Focus on the Family app as well. Thank you so much everyone for your advice, I took it all to heart!

Upvote 0

PSharp

Jan 16, 2020
Hixson
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May God give us all a hunger for His Word. God has really used this website to give me a greater appreciation and hunger for His Word. If you are not already familiar with it, I strongly urge you to go to the site called TheBibleProject.com. You can click on this link to see what they offer.

Basically, they have content that shows the big picture of what God reveals in His Word. They break down the big themes in each of the books of the Bible. They also have what they call Word Studies that get into topics like Witness, Gospel, Iniquity, Transgression, Sin, Love, Joy, Hope, Peace, Listen, LORD, Heart, Soul, Strength. They also have sections which focus on the Themes of the Bible. I cannot say enough good things about this site. They even offer these resources for free.

Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
May God give us all a hunger for His Word. God has really used this website to give me a greater appreciation and hunger for His Word. If you are not already familiar with it, I strongly urge you to go to the site called TheBibleProject.com. You can click on this link to see what they offer.

Basically, they have content that shows the big picture of what God reveals in His Word. They break down the big themes in each of the books of the Bible. They also have what they call Word Studies that get into topics like Witness, Gospel, Iniquity, Transgression, Sin, Love, Joy, Hope, Peace, Listen, LORD, Heart, Soul, Strength. They also have sections which focus on the Themes of the Bible. I cannot say enough good things about this site. They even offer these resources for free.

Thank you for this, I appreciate the response and I will be sure to give it a look.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you not concerned over the awfulness of your own sinfulness? Read the whole bible, concentrating on the Gospels, to see by what means Jesus managed to live sinlessly.
I admire his honesty in bringing the problem public. I hope you see that your words are like throwing a drowning man a concrete life preserver.

You might mean well, and your words may be true, but truth not spoken in love sets no one free.

There are times we are "in season" and others when we find ourselves "out of season". It in no way reflects as a sin but rather as a trial of our faith. In times such as these, we hold fast, even when there is little in qny feelibgs at all.

The key is to not lose sight of the God who has promised to keep us from falling. Nothing is more effective for me than concentrating on the promises He has made us and our stepping out to believe that they are OUR promises.

blessings,

Gids

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. So to build up our faith we MUST keep reading His word. "My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; Keep them in the midst of your heart;"

And if we keep reading "For they are life to those who find them, And health to all their flesh." Now God is not a man that He would/should lie. Jesus is real.. just talk to Him. Tell Him how you feel. Then watch as this new desire comes out of no where to read the word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I admire his honesty in bringing the problem public. I hope you see that your words are like throwing a drowning man a concrete life preserver.

You might mean well, and your words may be true, but truth not spoken in love sets no one free.

There are times we are "in season" and others when we find ourselves "out of season". It in no way reflects as a sin but rather as a trial of our faith. In times such as these, we hold fast, even when there is little in qny feelibgs at all.

The key is to not lose sight of the God who has promised to keep us from falling. Nothing is more effective for me than concentrating on the promises He has made us and our stepping out to believe that they are OUR promises.

blessings,

Gids
You have a point. My apologies if that is what I have done. But it seemed to me he was aware of some need for holiness. I meant him no harm, but perhaps a path to hope. It is where I found mine.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have a point. My apologies if that is what I have done. But it seemed to me he was aware of some need for holiness. I meant him no harm, but perhaps a path to hope. It is where I found mine.
Forgive me if I came on too strong. There are times in a man's life when he can become 'weary because of the way'. I have had my own times of drought. Sometimes, it might be a sin that brings us that feeling, sometimes it is simply a time of pruning so that we bear even more fruit.

But in those dark times, when your head knows God still has you but your heart is lonely and cold, these are the times brothers and sisters can hold you up, determined to see you through the valley. Again, I hope my words were not taken to be mean spirited.

blessings to you, Mark

Gideon

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you simply need to take a break. If you're burned out on scripture, take a break from it. Doesn't mean you have to take a break from God. Spend that time in prayer or maybe helping some people in need. Just something else, something different for a while. When your mind is back to feeling refreshed, you may find that your motivation to read and study has returned and you may even find yourself inspired and energized in new ways!
A regular, prayer and Bible reading habit is so important, isn't it?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I can get that way sometimes as well. However, when I do, I just try to read some other things, both Christian and other, that zero in on whatever 'issue(s)' I think could be making me feel less than my usual Christian self.

Don't be afraid to expand outside of the Bible in either your reading or in your activities in life. Of course, it should go without saying that what I mean in this regard pertains to things that are good, wholesome, godly, or at least useful in a Christian kind of way. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0