I’m in a Bible reading slump.

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I recommend you check out Les Feldick. He is on several stations ION tv weekdays and he goes through the Bible chapter by chapter and his shows date over 20 years and play on tv on and on so you can watch through and start over again. He is very good at explaining Paul's writings and the Gospel of Grace something that I struggled with in the past. Since I read the Bible 3 times through and the New Testament about 5 times through I got into a slump when it comes to reading the Bible I record Les on weekdays and listen to him when I'm doing things around the house in the daytime.

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been in a real slump. I know I need to get back into God’s word I’m struggling finding inspiration even after praying for it. I read the Bible of course in Church but a I can’t seem to find the motivation to pick it up while I’m at home. Anyone have similar problems and if so what have you done to get out of it? TIA

Ideas:

#1. Buy a Kindle Oasis. Although they are pricey, you can read the Bible in the bathtub and relax to some Epsom salt after a hard day's work.
#2. Listen to audio Bible in the car or while working out or while walking. I would recommend "Inspired by: Bible Experience" for when you just want to listen to the words of Jesus. If you want to listen to other parts of the Bible, I would recommend the "Word of Promise" audio Bible. Alexander Scourby does a great majestic reading of the Bible, too.
#3. Buy the Action Comic Book Bible: https://www.amazon.com/Action-Bible-Doug-Mauss/dp/0781444993 (While Jesus is not a white European, and the book is by no means Scriptural accurate in every instance, it can help inspire you to read the actual Bible more).
#4. Pray to God for help in reading His Word.
#5. If you like spies: You may like this thread here that involves spies and the Bible: Spies in the Bible. to help inspire you to read the Bible more.

A long time ago, when I talked with a family member of mine about what direction I wanted to go with my life: They asked me, what would make me the most happy. I told them, "To follow the Lord." They told me I should be a Pastor, and so I embarked on that journey by studying the Bible by learning all that I could about it, and by learning all I could about the different topics in the Bible via also by discussing on Christian forums. While I discovered later that I did not want to be a Pastor (in the traditional sense), I prayed to the Lord in rededication of my life to Him and in living for Him more instead of following after my dreams and goals of success. When I made that decision, I learned things about the faith (as if I was in some kind of Bible school without paying the crazy amount of money). The thing is that I was learning from the Lord because I was asking for His help constantly in understanding His Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you simply need to take a break. If you're burned out on scripture, take a break from it. Doesn't mean you have to take a break from God. Spend that time in prayer or maybe helping some people in need. Just something else, something different for a while. When your mind is back to feeling refreshed, you may find that your motivation to read and study has returned and you may even find yourself inspired and energized in new ways!

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Get yourself into a huge Forum debate, (or even better, many debates) that will get you digging into the Word. (That was tongue in cheek, but hey, it might work :) )

This is actually a very good suggestion. It doesn't have to be a debate, but can be a good discussion. The only Scripture reading I've been doing is pretty much what I read here on CF. Maybe you can put together some daily devotions here or get into a discussion about a certain passage, or what have you.

@Cross Over the Lake

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟55,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have been looking into this for awhile now. Best answer i have atm..

The flesh is against God, it doesnt like reading the bible, it doesnt find any joy in it or see it as valuble. It finds to boring and unproductive.

The spirit delights in the Word of God, and wants to know all about God, it see's the Word of God as a treasure more valuable then anything fleshy.

Your coming from a position of flesh, rather then spirit since you have been away from it so long.

Deny the flesh and read it anyway, for it is God's will for his word to be in you. Pray to God that he will cruicify the desires of your flesh, and pray for the desire to read his word and to find joy in it. Have faith that God can do this in you, set some time aside each day and keep reading the bible even if you dont feel like it. Act on faith.

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

Without his grace we can do nothing, not even something simple as reading the Word of God. It is through his grace that he gives us the desires and the joy of reading his word.

I believe you just got to keep denying the flesh, untill he restores these desires in you.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Me too often.

but then I read this:
9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

John 15:9- 11

WHAT!!!! If this doesn’t get you pumped then check your pulse! Also if you read this post you just read the Bible. Easy win!!!

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is actually a very good suggestion. It doesn't have to be a debate, but can be a good discussion. The only Scripture reading I've been doing is pretty much what I read here on CF. Maybe you can put together some daily devotions here or get into a discussion about a certain passage, or what have you.

@Cross Over the Lake

Honestly my daily dive into this forum has been one of biggest ways I stay in the word! Encouraging others with scripture gets me pumped.

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

John 15:9- 11

that’s a nuke!

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve been in a real slump. I know I need to get back into God’s word I’m struggling finding inspiration even after praying for it. I read the Bible of course in Church but a I can’t seem to find the motivation to pick it up while I’m at home. Anyone have similar problems and if so what have you done to get out of it? TIA

Hi
So sorry to hear this. But it is honest and so a solution is at hand.
I fund it good to have two bibles. Select old testament in one and new in the other. Choose books you are drawn to or you've not read before. Have a pencil ready.
Each day read a small amount, tick where yiu got to. No pressure. Now meditate upon and digest. Feel God's Word feeding and teaching you as you live life. Apply the wisdom.

I keep my bibles in the bathroom where i am guaranteed privacy. I read each morning while i get ready. I have two more bibles on Kindle so i read similarly that at any time i can in the day.
Regard God's Bible as food for your soul, necessary daily.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For me I have to read a range of other things as well, to avoid getting stale..
(which may vary according to denomination)
- The lives of inspiring Christians (which for me is often the lives of inspiring saints)
- Subject focussed materials, eg books on eucharist throughout the ages
- Entertaining speakers - for me thats people like Steve Ray
- Conversion stories (for me thats programmes like Journey Home: get to find out what other denominations think!)
- But most of all the writings of the first church fathers: it is fascinating to read the likes of ignatius, iraneus or polycarp, who in some cases actually knew the apostles. They are all there, available on the web. It might change or reinforce your view of what the early church was like and what some of the bible texts actually meant to early church.
- One last one. Am reading a new testament in another language, with english alongside portuguese, since I spend a lot of time there! (Pai nosso que estais no ceu, sanctificado e vosso nome, venha a nos o vosso reino!- no prizes for guessing what that means)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you in a small group? Sometimes the support of a small group helps me be more accountible with my daily walk. I also have access to Right Now Media which has hundreds of good Bible study videos. You can pick a book or a topical study. It's really helped me. God bless you

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh I pray, my grandmother taught me to pray until the light burns my eyes when I open them. ^_^

Slumps are very informative. They allow me to reexamine my priorities, schedule and interests. In my walk, I’ve noticed a progression of seasons. There was a time when my plate was empty. I could spend hours each day in prayer and study. The remainder was used for service. I got burnt out. :p

Now, I have more responsibilities, classes and I’m leading a wardrobe sewing project. And I’m starting Toastmasters next month! But I’m not tired. The running around takes a toll. But I haven’t experienced a slump thus far.

For me, the difference is gifting and purpose. My work is being applied in the right place and the spiritual sustenance and passion keep me afloat. I’m never bored.

In my relationship with the Lord, I aim for authentic expressions. Should’s can slip into legalism quite easily. If I find myself feeling less enthused. I ask why.

Today, I can pray for an hour. But I can’t do three at one sitting. It would wear me out and I’d need a nap. I don’t have the gift of intercession. For a season I was able to do it while laboring for someone’s salvation. It was a grace given to me for that period.

Don’t dismiss the value of rituals. Reading while enjoying a favorite beverage before you head to work may be your sweet spot. It becomes a daily practice you look forward to.

~Bella

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I don't know how you live your Christian life, but I found joy again in the Bible when I decided to give everything for Christ. I no longer save money for myself, I keep a "just in case" saving, but that's all. From there on everything went upward. I started evangelizing on the streets, volontering more in my church, participating in prayers, writing homilies, etc. I now try to deal with every aspect in my life where I don't serve Christ.

Edit:
I hope I don't sound proud. My "just in case" savings is far more than just food and rent, also things like dentist bills, and if my car breaks down ... But I don't drive a ferrari ^_^. It's just that I don't accumulate riches any longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ohhhh nooo. I don’t get mixed up with that. I do good until people start getting into Masters Degree in theology. Lol

The apostle Paul debated with the Jews involving the Scriptures.

"He refuted the Jews with powerful arguments in public debate. Using the Scriptures, he explained to them that Jesus was the Messiah." (Acts of the Apostles 18:28).

Granted, debating on the forums may not be for everyone, but for me personally, it has been a blessing because it encouraged me to look deeper into God's Word when somebody challenged me on something that I did not know or I was a little fuzzy on. Much of my learning was studying the Bible as a result of the flame under my butt via by discussion and debate on the forums.

There are so many truths in the Bible that are important to discuss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Instead of a structured reading plan, what about checking into a Biblical topic that interest you. If needed, there are lists that you can preview . Or looking at God's names, titles and attributes lists and verifying those against Scripture. Another option is studying Biblical characters. Their names mean something. So you could get an alphabetical list and read the Scripture after learning their meaning. Of course reading a few surrounding Scripture for context. What about watching "The Passion" and comparing it to Scripture? Maybe you would like to look at the lyrics of a song and make changes that are meaningful to you. Or you could investigate what Scripture says about you as a believer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's likely we've all had this problem (so join the club:tonguewink:).

Let me suggest a holistic approach: develop all spiritual disciplines together.

Prayer
Bible Reading
Fellowship (beginning but not limited to weekly worship meeting)
Giving (not the same as tithing)
Service
Evangelism
Teaching

Those are the basic categories. Prayer, of course, involves supplication, intercession, listening, gratitude, and worship. Bible reading includes meditation, contemplation, exegetical study, etc. Fellowship involved Sunday worship services but also small group fellowship, men's/women's groups, accountability or same-sex confidante relationships, and just having a cup of joe with the guys while knocking little different-colored spheres into holes in a table. These things overlap. Giving of time, talent, and treasure generously, cheerfully, based on real need and/or God's leading easily bleeds into serving others in various ways inside and outside of the local body. Evangelism need not involve preaching; it is as simple as leading an exemplary life that it itself becomes the basis of an inquiry, "Why do you do what you do?" and, of course, the answer is, "Jesus; I am a Christian and I did that because I try to live my life in such a manner that my faith in God influences all aspects of my life in a positive way....." And, lastly, everyone of us should constantly be learning from those who have walked the faith before us, growing in unity, maturity, and Christlikeness (Eph. 4) as we sharpen one another in peer relationships to the point where we can eventually pour our learning into the lives of those who follow us.

And along the way we deal with doubt, malaise, guilt/shame, remorse, joy, legalism, hypocrisy, and the the other parts of our faith so diversely encountered by those in the Bible.

The key to faith is to simply believe. There is no "I can't do that," because of course you can. You may not believe what you believe but no matter how severe the doubt you can say, "I do not care what the latest antitheist says, I am going to believe God exists and Jesus is His resurrected Son through whom I have eternal salvation." That's the beauty of Christ; it is a function of the Spirit-empowered will, and no one makes me not will but me.

The spiritual disciplines can be diagnostic. For example, those who read their Bibles but don't much pray tend toward legalism, especially if what they're reading is the OT prophets :tonguewink:. Conversely, those who pray alot but don't read their Bibles lack the grounding of the unchanging word the Spirit will never contradict and they tend toward flightiness and fantastical experience over intellectual rigor. Those who never serve invariably have a selfish faith that can breed a lack of compassion and those who never share their faith may succumb to not knowing why they believe, think, and act as they do.

So don't think of the problem as just a lack of Bible reading.

Get connected, share your thoughts and feelings with someone you can look in the eye and who can do something with you about it. God is a God of relationship. He exists inherently already-in-relationship and we are created in His image. Even if you suddenly regained your energy and inspiration reading God's word it doesn't do you or any of us any good if it only stays at home inside the four walls of your skull.

Consider reading something written by another that will get you back to reading scripture. Here's a few suggestions:

The Francis Schaeffer trilogy. Personally, in addition to the Bible I think this is a book every Christian should read. It will help you understand Christianity has enormous intellectual integrity and help develop a Christian worldview applicable to all areas of life.

"The Prodigal God" by Timothy Keller. It's a small book with lots of humbling and motivating content about our sense of entitlement.

"Life Together" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Written while he was living underground prior to his arrest and imprisonment I think it's the best of the "big three" written by Bonhoeffer. It's also a small but powerful read. Had me contemplating its content in profoundly life-changing ways for months and months.

Since you're a guy I'll suggest a pair of books written for men: "Healing the Masculine Soul," by Gordon Dalbey, and "Samson and the Pirate Monks," by Nate Larkin.

And, lastly, since you're Baptist, I'll recommend "Understanding Four Views on Baptism," edited by Paul Engle from Zondervan's Counterpoint Series. If you read this with your Bible in the other hand, prayerfully looking up the scriptural claims of the various authors you can practice several of the spiritual disciplines at once.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I am concerned, partly why I asked advice on the matter. Guess I was looking for a little bit of direction. Places in the Bible that people might go when they are experiencing something similar to what I am.

Proverbs. It's RIVETING. And hey, each day points to which Proverbs to read for that day...like today, would be Proverbs 15. Now how awesome is THAT??!!!

And those verses about God rejoicing over us with singing, or about the joy of the Lord strengthening us, or a merry heart doing good like a medicine, OR this one is one that'll knock yer socks off....it's the verse where it is written that God will chase us down and overcome us with His blessings.

Our God is a DELIGHTFUL God. Why do you think that David danced before Him with all his might, huh huh huh? :p

Prayer is ALWAYS a wunnerful blessing too. Praying for you brother.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, I will probably be in the minority on the subject of Bible reading as I see this book as the" guild to life" not a book that I have to read on a schedule or daily because I am a Christian. Forced reading is unfruitful as it is not done with an eagerness to learn. I would find this disingenuous and God knows our hearts. That being said we are told in Timothy -

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Additionally, the Lord has written the Word in our hearts. God’s Word dwells within us and is the guiding force of our life. We know it, understand it, respect it, love it and practice it willingly and daily. It does not live in a book, it lives in every believer. We go to scripture for the reasons stated by Timothy above, for instruction in every "good work".

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0