Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One day, they stopped selling their cinnamon scones. Then I started noticing an uptick in crystals, tarot cards, and astrology books.

can’t remember the first time I stepped into a Barnes and Noble, but it must have been when I was in college decades ago. I was charmed by the rows and rows of books, the coffee bar, and the comfortable chairs and tables situated around the store.

Growing up in the very liberal Eugene, Oregon, I was used to bookstores that featured crystals, metaphysics sections, astrology chart reading, and instructions about witchcraft, punctuated by the pungent smell of patchouli incense. Barnes and Noble was a welcome relief to that crunchy Oregon vibe.

When I entered graduate school, Barnes and Noble became an oasis. Its coffee and cinnamon scones beckoned me from the 38 miles between it and my rural university. I spent entire days there, writing papers, buying and reading books, and I even had my confession heard there by a fellow shopper and priest. When I started having children, I would swing by before weekly doctor’s appointments to grab one of the beloved scones when cravings got the best of me. And when I was writing, I sat in the café and paged through research for my doctorate and eventually books. Finally, when my first book came out, it was a special moment to read my name on its spine among the stacks.

Continued below.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't been a fan of Barnes and Noble for quite some time. They have a store very close to where I live. One day I visited the store and one of the first things I saw when I walked in was a display of books for pride month or something to do with LGBTQ subjects. Needless to say, I haven't been much of a fan of the place ever since. Normally when I buy books, I buy them from Amazon, but I am trying to buy from Catholic stores more now. After all, even Amazon sells a lot of that kind of stuff.

Upvote 0