• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I’m afraid I’ve committed false repentance part 2

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi guys,

I wanted to reach out again because I’ve been doing my research and I’ve come to the conclusion that repentance out of fear of hell is selfish,and I don’t want to be selfish!,”repentance requires Godly sorrow”,I admit when I fell into temptation to look at inappropriate content last Thursday,I was plagues with Guilt,sorrow,and hopelessness;all traits of Worldly sorrow!,and it’s scaring me,and I’m back again afraid that I’m concerned about not having godly sorrow out of fear of hell!,it’s a confusing cycle,I feel like I cannot reassure myself with anything biblical without the phrase “only doing/thinking/changing/wanting/desiring out of fear of hell”

I’m scared still because I’ve noticed many other times I’ve tried to repent of inappropriate content,has been out of fear of punishment and judgement,and I don’t want that to be the case.If I want Godly sorrow,and possibly since I haven’t repented,will God give me Godly sorrow?

also,I don’t want to be selfish,how can I ask God to change my selfishness.I’m very worried I’m not a Christian!,please can someone help?

Last edited:

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m 100% fully prepared to cooperate by any means
Good for you.
Then you will be successful.
But, remember, we all have battles to fight.
I’m fighting daily.
And from my experience, let me say, the battles are not conquered overnight.
Our battles will likely be for the rest of our lives on this earth.
But when we’re done, eternity will be a beautiful blessing.
Lord, I know you are working in Blaise’s life, and he is willing to cooperate as necessary.
Thank you Lord.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good for you.
Then you will be successful.
But, remember, we all have battles to fight.
I’m fighting daily.
And from my experience, let me say, the battles are not conquered overnight.
Our battles will likely be for the rest of our lives on this earth.
But when we’re done, eternity will be a beautiful blessing.
Lord, I know you are working in Blaise’s life, and he is willing to cooperate as necessary.
Thank you Lord.
Jeremiah,if I ask God,even if I’m still un repented,will he still hear prayers asking for Godly sorrow?

Upvote 0

William J

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2021
Buffalo, NY
✟266,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like a very scary and distressing situation to be in, Blaise. The fact that you care, in my opinion, is a very good sign. You want to having a meaningful relationship with Jesus, and you know that any form of sin is going to strain that relationship. God can and will forgive any sins that we commit, but out of our desire to serve God we should try to avoid sin as much as possible. You've identified that God doesn't want you to look at inappropriate content, now the tough part is following through. If there is some way to involve other Christians that you trust, that would be ideal. If you can find a community that can support you and hold you accountable, that would be great. This website can be that community to some extent, but it might also be helpful if you could find a group of Christians in "real life" who supported each other in avoid inappropriate contentography.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That sounds like a very scary and distressing situation to be in, Blaise. The fact that you care, in my opinion, is a very good sign. You want to having a meaningful relationship with Jesus, and you know that any form of sin is going to strain that relationship. God can and will forgive any sins that we commit, but out of our desire to serve God we should try to avoid sin as much as possible. You've identified that God doesn't want you to look at inappropriate content, now the tough part is following through. If there is some way to involve other Christians that you trust, that would be ideal. If you can find a community that can support you and hold you accountable, that would be great. This website can be that community to some extent, but it might also be helpful if you could find a group of Christians in "real life" who supported each other in avoid inappropriate contentography.
One of the e things tj at drove me to repentance of inappropriate contentography was sadly fear,I was afraid rbag if I kept indulging in this,I’ll surely end up in hell,also I was scared of now being a Christian because of it,so I repented and out of hate over what it does to be vowed never to return,but recently it feels like only fear keeps me in place,and I know that’s not what God wants.I can’t live life peacefully without Jesus,I can’t go run errands,eat meals,work,go on vacation,or even relax without me knowing my relationship with Jesus is genuine and secure,mainly because He is my only hope,but also because I moderately fear hell.I hope fear of hell isn’t selfish.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the e things tj at drove me to repentance of inappropriate contentography was sadly fear,I was afraid rbag if I kept indulging in this,I’ll surely end up in hell,also I was scared of now being a Christian because of it,so I repented and out of hate over what it does to be vowed never to return,but recently it feels like only fear keeps me in place,and I know that’s not what God wants.I can’t live life peacefully without Jesus,I can’t go run errands,eat meals,work,go on vacation,or even relax without me knowing my relationship with Jesus is genuine and secure,mainly because He is my only hope,but also because I moderately fear hell.I hope fear of hell isn’t selfish.
A couple of things:
1. God used the fear of death to try to keep Adam and Eve from sinning in the Garden. Why is it wrong to do something out of fear of hell?
2. [Luk 17:4 KJV] 4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
If Jesus requires us to continue to forgive someone who trespasses against us seven times in a single day, won't God be at least as merciful to us?

False repentance doesn't mean you never do the thing again, according to that verse in Luke. It means that you don't repent at all, just pretend like it.

You sound like your spirit is willing, but your flesh is weak. Keep working out your salvation in fear and trembling, not that it is our work that saves us, but that we work in gratitude and love for our Savior.

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jeremiah,if I ask God,even if I’m still un repented,will he still hear prayers asking for Godly sorrow?
Ok, remember when I speak, it’s only my opinion
The truth can only be found in the Lord.

So, imo, God always hears you. Always.
Not only that, he knows your needs even before you do.
He is always ready to heal you.
Just do your part.
The first step is repentance. Ask yourself what repentance is.
Then stop doing whatever it is you’re repeating of.
And, of utmost importance, do NOT condemn yourself, and do not worry. Worry and self condemnation are not what God wants.
Just do your absolute best, and when you slip up, recognize it, move on, and make a sincere effort to avoid it in the future.
Like I said, my battles continue, but I can look back and honestly say, I’m better today than I was last year and the year before.
But I also realize I’m not as good as I will be next year.
Thank you Lord.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,
I wanted to reach out again because I’ve been doing my research and I’ve come to the conclusion that repentance out of fear of hell is selfish,and I don’t want to be selfish!,”...and it’s scaring me,..I feel like I cannot reassure myself with anything biblical without the phrase “only doing/thinking/changing/wanting/desiring out of fear of hell”

For what it's worth to you, the opinion of most theologians seems to be that being sorry because you know you did wrong and offended God is a more perfect form of repentance, but that repenting of your sin out of fear of going to hell will nevertheless save you from hell.

I’m very worried I’m not a Christian!,please can someone help?
You are a Christian. Try not to worry about other matters so long as you believe in Jesus as Lord and your personal Savior.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,

I wanted to reach out again because I’ve been doing my research and I’ve come to the conclusion that repentance out of fear of hell is selfish,and I don’t want to be selfish!,”repentance requires Godly sorrow”,I admit when I fell into temptation to look at inappropriate content last Thursday,I was plagues with Guilt,sorrow,and hopelessness;all traits of Worldly sorrow!,and it’s scaring me,and I’m back again afraid that I’m concerned about not having godly sorrow out of fear of hell!,it’s a confusing cycle,I feel like I cannot reassure myself with anything biblical without the phrase “only doing/thinking/changing/wanting/desiring out of fear of hell”

I’m scared still because I’ve noticed many other times I’ve tried to repent of inappropriate content,has been out of fear of punishment and judgement,and I don’t want that to be the case.If I want Godly sorrow,and possibly since I haven’t repented,will God give me Godly sorrow?

also,I don’t want to be selfish,how can I ask God to change my selfishness.I’m very worried I’m not a Christian!,please can someone help?

There is nothing wrong with following God out of fear of hell. It is not a sin to do so. The bible tells us:

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Rom 8:13-14 For if you go in the way of the flesh, death will come on you; but if by the Spirit you put to death the works of the body, you will have life. And all those who are guided by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Spend time in prayer, daily, and bible reading, not scanning youtube videos. Get to know God's word. By doing so you are feeding your spirit, and enabling God's Spirit to strengthen you.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

Sounds to me like you're under attack from the enemy. You wouldn't be under attack if you weren't a Christian.

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling Philippians 2:12

• Friendly
Upvote 0