• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Hypothetical Situation re: Conversion

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by ViaCrucis, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+22,070
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    All things considered I'm a Lutheran n00b. Been attending a Lutheran church for the last three years (still not Confirmed, I should really get on that). I've had my nose in the Book of Concord for quite some time now and have identified as Lutheran for longer than I've actually been worshiping in a Lutheran community because Lutheran theology is, well, biblical.

Having said all that as a preface, my question doesn't really have anything to do with that. It's more that I wanted to make clear my newness to the Lutheran tradition so perhaps my question might be be seen still in that context.

I've been swirling a question in my head for sometime, as it would relate to a hypothetical situation. If someone were to come up to you and say, "I wish to become a Christian" what would be the right response?

As my understanding is now, there's simply no way one could want to be a Christian apart from God working through Word and Sacrament to create faith in a person. So it would seem to me I would ask such a person if they believed the Gospel, and if they did, fantastic, I would also point them to go and talk with a pastor about going through the process of becoming a candidate for baptism.

Is my thinking off base here?

As someone who is still a recovering Pentecostal/Evangelical, it's one of those questions that I had a very fast and dirty answer to through my years of being trained in the "Four Spiritual Laws" and similar; but not one that has come up specifically in my entryway into Lutheranism.

For what it's worth, the situation remains a purely hypothetical one, but one I'd nevertheless like to have some grounding in.

Thanks for hearing me out.

-CryptoLutheran

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Mediaeval

Mediaeval baptizatus sum

+177
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Your response seems to be a good one. It is in fact the approach I used with a friend a few years ago who all on her own initiative started showing up at church, asked for a Bible, and began taking Communion. She didn't understand until later that she needed to be baptized, and so she was.

3. PreachersWife2004

PreachersWife2004 by his wounds we are healed Supporter

+3,909
    Lutheran
    Married
    My thought is that if someone is expressing the wish to become Christian then they probably already are, because it means the Holy Spirit is working that faith in them.

I believe your response is pretty much on target, VC. :thumbsup:

4. Tangible

Tangible Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato

+1,252
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    ROFL ^_^

Coming from a similar background, VC, I've struggled with this too. Last year or so I invested some time listening to a series of presentations from Heath Curtis, a young LCMS pastor, linked below. There are both text files and audio, according to your preference. This did more for me to help me understand how to view evangelism through Lutheran eyes than anything else I've ever found.

http://gottesdienstonline.blogspot.com/2011/05/freed-from-shopkeepers-prison-in.html

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. Moses Medina

Moses Medina Layman

+300
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Your question has been answered very well and by others, so I have nothing to contribute, but I to am a n00b and converted from Pentecostalism.

6. Sword of the Lord

Sword of the Lord In need of a physician.

+7,302
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Is Lutheranism where ex-Pentecostals run to? I'm an ex-Pentecostal myself.

7. Tangible

+1,252
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Ex-Baptist here. In my mind, Pentecostalism is pretty much the antithesis of Lutheranism.

8. Aibrean

Aibrean Honest. Maybe too Honest.

+313
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Ex-C&MA which is pretty mom dispensationalist non-denom. Closer to Baptist than anything else.

9. Tangible

+1,252
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    OTOH, SDA is pretty antithetical to Lutheranism as well, just in a different direction.

How many antitheses can something have? ^_^

10. Aibrean

Aibrean Honest. Maybe too Honest.

+313
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Ironically my husband comes from SDA. His family on both sides for the most part are SDA.