• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Hypocrisy

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Id recommend taking some time off then expand your inquiries beyond theology. God isn’t limited to theology, he can be found in many different fields of study. Don’t limit yourself, but make sure you’re mentally healthy before continuing.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know this is mental health forums, but wasn't sure which forum to discuss this in.

I worry that I am in a terrible state of hypocrisy, self-deception and unreality, but cannot quite see it. I can acquire lots of information about theology from books etc. and discuss on the forums, but feel the reality is missing from my life. I feel that I am not in touch with myself to know what is wrong. I don't know how to get out of this state.

I need prayer, please pray I be delivered from self-deception.

The best book is HIS book .... He is not the author of confusion .... man can be. I would encourage you to leave the commentaries and theology books on the table for a while and ask Him to lead you through His word. Not sure how you study .... but topical is a good way to get the broad view over the entirety of scripture .... here are a couple of resources you might find useful. Use a concordance and the greek and hebrew lexicons as well.

some very helpful tools here

www.biblehub.com

topical searches

What Does the Bible Say About Confusion?

May the Lord lead you and bring understanding and peace. Amen

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know this is mental health forums, but wasn't sure which forum to discuss this in.

I worry that I am in a terrible state of hypocrisy, self-deception and unreality, but cannot quite see it. I can acquire lots of information about theology from books etc. and discuss on the forums, but feel the reality is missing from my life. I feel that I am not in touch with myself to know what is wrong. I don't know how to get out of this state.

If your learning all the theological arguments and spending time debating them, but you feel the reality of the Christian walk isn't reflected in your actions in real life, then stop.

Stop right where your at and repent, turn back to God and Christ. Ask forgiveness for any hypocrisy. Stop reading theological texts and get out there.

And just start living out Christianity. Go to church. Pray. Volunteer at your local soup kitchen or food pantry. Get involved in Christian activities that forward the Gospel to the lost.

Get involved with churches that have homeless outreach ministries - you don't even have to have identical theology for such basics.

Repentance is simply changing from one direction to another. In Christ your can change yours if you feel out of balance.

I'll pray.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if I believe in God, or what I believe currently. Years ago I went through a lot of theology and philosophy, neo-orthodoxy and postmodernism etc. and ended up it seemed out in the void and saying there was no reality, and at other times that I was God.

I really need prayer.

I'll pray.

I'll also recommend Voddie Baucham Jr. if your inclined. He's done a thing or two on postmodernism.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Keep it simple. Either you are born again or not. If not, then go for it! God is only too willing to save you. The following article is most comprehensive and will lead you into a proper relationship with God through Christ.

The Way - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If your learning all the theological arguments and spending time debating them, but you feel the reality of the Christian walk isn't reflected in your actions in real life, then stop.

The reason I read books I think is an attempt to get at reality that way.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reason I read books I think is an attempt to get at reality that way.

Not a good way to experience reality, for real.

Jesus taught the disciples 3-1/2 years before He died. That was it, 3-1/2 years at the feet of Christ, then after Pentecost they were sent out into the world to live what they learned....

Just might be time for you to cut the education cord for a while and get out there... be the Christian God made you to be. :) live it, because it's about living.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I believe in God, or what I believe currently. Years ago I went through a lot of theology and philosophy, neo-orthodoxy and postmodernism etc. and ended up it seemed out in the void and saying there was no reality, and at other times that I was God.

I really need prayer.

I can relate to this. I’ve wondered before if the God we think is ‘out there’ can really be found within ourselves in the same way jesus said god is in him and he is in god. God is then both subjective (within us) and objective (within others).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God is not out there he is in here. Be him with others, be the word as in the Bible.

recipe for delusion - "be God" - My answer is No. The whole problem of us human beings is refusal to accept our position in the created order, and let God be God.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again its basically impossible to just be like that, as if flipping a switch. What WWJD is basically just about wearing a bracelet seemingly - many are deluded - I notice some of them are very judgemental also. A youth pastor I was friends with years back would just keep asking the WWJD question when we were ou together, but I never seen him model an answer to it.

How do you want to live out your Christian faith?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I live it out by prayer, bible study, helping others when I can, passing on insights on intellectual issues I may have received, supporting a variety of charities financially and, by God's grace and assistance becoming a virtuous person, and casting myself repeatedly on the mercy of God.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live it out by prayer, bible study, helping others when I can, passing on insights on intellectual issues I may have received, supporting a variety of charities financially and, by God's grace and assistance becoming a virtuous person, and casting myself repeatedly on the mercy of God.
What more do you need.

are you a sinner saved by grace, or do you hope to be saved by your good works...

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What more do you need...

I don't hope to be saved by good works, as they would fall well short of the mark, nevertheless I'd like to be making more progress in my life in various ways. I feel the churches I have been too do not provide the sort of nurture or balanced teaching or fellowship thats needed to produce mature disciples, and so I feel left to my own resources at times.[/QUOTE]

• Agree
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you tried any Calvary Chapels there or on YouTube?

greg Laurie or skip heitzig or one near you. But then again you learn more and can put your faith in practice around imperfect people. By all means keep studying on your own. To be in subjection to God and all his ways and to submit to others gives some of that fellowship you need. No church is perfect, neither is life or any teacher but God. A steady diet of the word each week gets us through. But if you aspire to more perfection and we all do in some way, that’s your responsibility and Gods- that sanctification. But I think that milk is often necessary in the church and not a lot of strong meat. Not speaking of CC s though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0