Dallas
✟888,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What specific objections do you have to this hymn being part of a church service?

It is truly meet to bless you, O Theotokos, ever-blessed and most pure, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, without defilement you gave birth to God the Word. True Theotokos we magnify you!

Personally I wouldn’t sing it and to be honest I don’t think Mary would want anyone to sing it either. I’m sure Mary would say give all honor and glory to God not me.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Which is what I said at the start.
Okay, but I really have no interest in debating Orthodox theology. I'm not Orthodox, never been Orthodox, have no desire to become Orthodox, and have zero interest in trying to tell Orthodox people what they should or should not believe. Maybe someone else will come along who has an interest in the debate you seem to desire.

Please forgive me, then. I do not want to debate. The point of the post is as I've written: "It appears that we differ on X." A statement of where the difference appears to be, not an argument.

Although that being the case, is it really an Orthodox belief that not praising the creation (Mary) is tantamount to denying the Incarnation? Or is that more of a personal opinion.

Well, that is my personal paraphrase, but not a personal opinion in the sense of being able to discard the theology involved because I'm just some guy. Our common father HH St. Cyril, of the victorious party which defended the Orthodox faith against the Nestorians at Ephesus, did write an entire tome which is translated as Against Those Who Are Unwilling to Confess that the Holy Virgin is Theotokos, so we can tell what is required belief as outlined in this and other patristic literature. That is the entire context in which this title was deemed most necessary: there are these people (the Nestorians) who are messing with Orthodox Christology and the Orthodox understanding of the incarnation; to counter this, we will outline how it is that St. Mary is Theotokos (which was by no means 'invented' or otherwise arrived at for the first time the council, just by the way; the earliest extant hymn to St. Mary as Theotokos is called "Beneath Thy Protection" and is found in paypri of the Coptic Nativity liturgy dating back to 250 AD, whereas the council was held in 431 AD).

We have even after the schism at Chalcedon twenty years later strong witnesses on the Oriental Orthodox side that we have always kept this belief, as I'm sure the Eastern Orthodox also do (I just don't know them as well, since I'm not EO). For instance:

"In the days of Babai the Catholicos, this Mari emerged (as) the teacher of the heresies of the followers of Paul of Samosata and Diodorus [of Tarsus] in Beth Aramaye. And Babai the Catholicos, the son of Hormizd who was the secretary of Zabercan the Marzban of Beth Aramaye, received the doctrine from him. Anyone who does not confess that Mary is Theotokos, let him be anathema!"

-- Letter of 6th century (d. before 548) Syriac Orthodox bishop Simeon of Beth Arsham (near Seleucia, the patriarchate of the Nestorians)

With declarations like this, it is safe to say that, yes, it is considered to be an indisputable point of dogma/belief that St. Mary is Theotokos, and we must openly proclaim so.

I have to say, in all my previous decades in the RCC where praising Mary is like professional sport, I've never heard that one before.

It's strange that you wouldn't have ("Beneath Thy Protection" is still sung in traditional Latin Catholic masses, I thought), but I was also Roman Catholic for years and don't remember hearing it put in quite those terms, either. The RCC is somewhat fungible on theology these days, as they admit the descendants of the Nestorians in India and Iraq (the Syro-Malabar and Chaldean Catholics, respectively) without explicit repudiation of the Nestorian heresy, as you can even find in some Catholic-led discussions about their different rites some admission that these groups still use an anaphora written by "Mar Nestorius" (gross), though they tend to call it by a different name nowadays.

• Informative
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Personally I wouldn’t sing it and to be honest I don’t think Mary would want anyone to sing it either. I’m sure Mary would say give all honor and glory to God not me.
Mary understood from the moment of the archangel's message to her that she would henceforth be honored by all generations, because He Who is mighty had done great things for her. She didn't have a problem with that then, she doesn't now, and she never will. She, in her humility, understands how all honor and praise directed at her is for, and on account of the Creator.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the church I attend decided that it would rather glorify and worship/venerate the creation instead of the Creator, I'd find another church...again
God's glory is manifested in the saints. Veneration of them is glorification of the Creator, Whose Holy Spirit lives and works in them in diverse ways. The sort of idolatry, or creation worship that Scripture denounces is something entirely different.

So, if the Church I attend was involved in worshiping the creation instead of the creator, I'd find another to attend as well. That is not what Orthodox Christians are doing, unless, that is, they love and put their trust in their nice houses, fancy cars, fat bank accounts, etc... more than they Love and put their trust in God's salvation alone. This is what idolatry is these days; covetousness and other sinful passions. How many Christians who never render any honor to saints are engaging in the worship of money and the things it can buy?

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What specific objections do you have to this hymn being part of a church service?

It is truly meet to bless you, O Theotokos, ever-blessed and most pure, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, without defilement you gave birth to God the Word. True Theotokos we magnify you!

While I can't speak for all protestants, my objections to it are basically threefold.

1. I object to all Roman Catholic portrayals of Mary as a "co-" anything.
2. I think the language of the designation "Mother of God" is somewhat problematic in English insofar as when most people think of God they automatically think of the person of the trinity referred to as "God the Father." "Mother of Jesus" would work better, I think in our modern age.
3. The "queen of heaven" thing starts to get a bit odd as well.

I'm not a Nestorian and don't have any specific objection to the title of "God-bearer" assigned to Mary by the term Theotokos as defended by Cyril of Alexandria, "the holy fathers... have ventured to call the holy Virgin Theotokos, not as though the nature of the Word or his divinity received the beginning of their existence from the holy Virgin, but because from her was born his holy body, rationally endowed with a soul, with which [body] the Word was united according to the hypostasis, and is said to have been begotten according to the flesh"

Last edited:
Upvote 0