• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Hymn of Kassiani

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by GreekOrthodox, Apr 23, 2019.

1. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,388
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    According to Wikipedia, "In many places in Greece, the Bridegroom Matins service of Great Tuesday is popular with sex workers, who may not often be seen in church at other times of the year. They come in great numbers, in order to hear the Hymn of Kassiani, as the hymn is associated with the woman fallen in many sins." Any truth to that?

Kassia - Wikipedia (FYI, the footnote for this goes to the text of the hymn on the GOARCH website)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,866
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    dunno, interesting if true.

3. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 864511320 Supporter

+4,927
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I know it's a hymn with wide renown. I don't know about your specific question.

4. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,286
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Sounds like an embellishment as all references to this come from the same source. They come in "great numbers", is unlikely.
    There maybe in certain regions that some churches are located near a red light section where a custom may exist that the prostitutes attend the service. If anything it may have been more common during Byzantine times.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. FenderTL5

+4,927
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I know the Hymn of Kassiani is quite famous.
    However, the part of this service that absolutely slays me every single time is right here:
    bridegroomWEDNESDAY.jpg

"she rejoiced in emptying out that, which was precious; he hastened to sell Him, Who was above all price."

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. ArmyMatt

+15,866
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    the part that gets me is when she will kiss the feet that frightened Eve.

7. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+16,453
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I love the theme all through the service of the contrast between the woman who anointed Jesus' feet, and Judas. It hit me hard my first Holy Week, and continues to impact me every year.

A good time to search ourselves for any likeness at all to Judas. Of course we wouldn't sell the Lord for 30 pieces of silver, but I was thinking last night how we can compare any sin to a betrayal of Him.

8. ~Anastasia~

+16,453
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Our visiting seminarian (we have a little tradition of hosting a seminarian during Holy Week to chant all the services and shadow Father - this year it's a young lady who is going to make a fine Presvytera I think!) ... anyway, she gave a talk last night and mentioned that part of the hymn. She said she found a story about the emperor who had been enamored of St. Kassiani and came into the garden where she was composing the hymn, and she ran and hid because she heard he was coming. He saw the hymn and added part about her running because of the king's footsteps, meaning himself. And she turned it around to make it about Jesus.

She wasn't sure if it was true or just a legend, but I thought it was interesting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. ArmyMatt

+15,866
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    now that's interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. FenderTL5

+4,927
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I had never heard that before... but
    That story is actually found on Orthodox wiki

One story, related by Saint Theodora in The Great Synaxaristes of the Orthodox Church holds that Abbess Kassiani spent the afternoon in the garden composing this hymn. As she finished writing that verse which says, "I shall kiss Thine immaculate feet, and wipe them again with the tresses of my head," she was informed that Emperor Theophilos had arrived at the convent. She did not wish to see him, and in her haste to conceal herself, left behind the scroll and pen. Theophilos, having entered the garden, found her half-completed poem, and added the phrase, "those feet at whose sound Eve hid herself for fear when she heard Thee walking in Paradise in the afternoon." After he departed, Kassiani came out from hiding. When she took up her composition, she beheld the phrase written in his handwriting. She retained it and went on to complete the poem.

11. ~Anastasia~

+16,453
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Interesting ... :)

12. ~Anastasia~

+16,453
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I should have added ... it was also said that someone said to her (supposedly) that all evil had entered because of a woman (Eve) ... and she turned it around to say that all good had also entered because of a woman (meaning the Theotokos and the Incarnation of Christ). It might have been in reply to the same Emperor. So it was kind of a double of her turning things around on him. Again, not sure how accurate or maybe legendary this may be, and I'm paraphrasing as well.