Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

Of the 6,227 physicians surveyed in 30 countries, 37 percent rated hydroxychloroquine the “most effective therapy” for combating the potentially deadly illness, according to the results released Thursday.​

For those who criticized the President for being hopeful that it would be a benefit.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So is this a scientific study where some patients are given these treatments and others not or is this a subjective opinion survey of doctors and what they perceive to be working?

I criticize no one for being hopeful, but if one has a powerful platform it is necessary not to hype things that may or may not turn out to be correct. That's what snake oil salesmen do.

I hope that this treatment does work, but let's see the controlled studies before we start issuing drugs experimentally to lots of patients where it might even backfire.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An international poll of thousands of doctors rated the Trump-touted anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine the best treatment for the novel coronavirus.

Of the 6,227 physicians surveyed in 30 countries, 37 percent rated hydroxychloroquine the “most effective therapy” for combating the potentially deadly illness, according to the results released Thursday.​

For those who criticized the President for being hopeful that it would be a benefit.

Citing "nine out of ten doctors recommend" is advertising not science. I have great hope for the treatment too but the opinion of doctors, and only 37 % yet, is not scientific proof. I don't fault Trump for touting it, especially was he has repeatedly said things like "It might work , it might not." He has not given false hope by instead telling everyone it would absolutely be the answer we need.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

However, the study did not include data on severely ill patients.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So is this a scientific study where some patients are given these treatments and others not or is this a subjective opinion survey of doctors and what they perceive to be working?

I criticize no one for being hopeful, but if one has a powerful platform it is necessary not to hype things that may or may not turn out to be correct. That's what snake oil salesmen do.

I hope that this treatment does work, but let's see the controlled studies before we start issuing drugs experimentally to lots of patients where it might even backfire.

I see no likelihood of great harm in giving this particular drug to people at this particular time. It is not a new drug that has unknown side effects. Physicians need to be aware of the possible side effects and prescribe it responsibly after making the patient aware of the lack of testing for treating this disease. Meanwhile there needs to be a sufficient supply for those that have been prescribed this drug previously for other reasons. There are times when it is reasonable to take a slight risk if the possible reward is sufficient enough to warrant it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Citing "nine out of ten doctors recommend" is advertising not science. I have great hope for the treatment too but the opinion of doctors, and only 37 % yet, is not scientific proof. I don't fault Trump for touting it, especially was he has repeatedly said things like "It might work , it might not." He has not given false hope by instead telling everyone it would absolutely be the answer we need.

You forgetting one thing, Trump got the minority vote yet he won.. so to his supporter .. that works every time!

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, the study did not include data on severely ill patients.

Too bad about that. It would be nice to have such data to work with but as severely ill patients have the most to gain, and the least to lose if the treatment is ineffective, then I think I would vote for giving them the opportunity to have it. They are always empowered to refuse.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You forgetting one thing, Trump got the minority vote yet he won.. so to his supporter .. that works every time!

No, Trump got a fairly hefty majority of the electoral votes. I don't normally listen to people that tell me their team actually won because they had more shots on goal than the other team or had more baskets just less three pointers or had more yards but less touchdowns. The rules require what they require. One does not win a contest by using rules one makes up after the game is over.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Too bad about that. It would be nice to have such data to work with but as severely ill patients have the most to gain, and the least to lose if the treatment is ineffective, then I think I would vote for giving them the opportunity to have it. They are always empowered to refuse.

I’ll leave it to the medical ethicists to determine who gets what, but if they’re going to do a proper double-blind study it’ll still take a couple of weeks to get the results/data they need to publish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ll leave it to the medical ethicists to determine who gets what, but if they’re going to do a proper double-blind study it’ll still take a couple of weeks to get the results/data they need to publish.

I don't disagree with that.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps it is just time you got over that. Gore did, perhaps he can offer hope.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, Trump got a fairly hefty majority of the electoral votes. I don't normally listen to people that tell me their team actually won because they had more shots on goal than the other team or had more baskets just less three pointers or had more yards but less touchdowns. The rules require what they require. One does not win a contest by using rules one makes up after the game is over.

I didn’t say he didn’t win.. he did win election by the rule it was set. Does it really hurt the pride when people point out more people voted for the other person?

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Lets not call it hefty .. other then GWB last time any one got below 305 electoral college was Jimmy Carter!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn’t say he didn’t win.. he did win election by the rule it was set. Does it really hurt the pride when people point out more people voted for the other person?

Your talking about Trump here. Everything that isn't the best, the most, the first etc. hurts his pride.
Lets not call it hefty .. other then GWB last time any one got below 305 electoral college was Jimmy Carter!

You mean last time any winner got below 305? 305 to 227 I would consider 78 more or 56.5% compared to 42.2 % to be a hefty majority win but to each their own.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,576.00
Faith
Non-Denom

This isn't an experimental drug though on what it does to the human body though. They've used it for years on other things. It's said to possibly among some have a possible effect on one's heart beat BUT that can be monitored and any problems take them off of it. That's true of all drugs. Some people can react certain ways and if it doesn't work well for some you take them off of it. It's not a thing where a few doses and you die.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see no likelihood of great harm in giving this particular drug to people at this particular time. It is not a new drug that has unknown side effects. Physicians need to be aware of the possible side effects and prescribe it responsibly after making the patient aware of the lack of testing for treating this disease. Meanwhile there needs to be a sufficient supply for those that have been prescribed this drug previously for other reasons. There are times when it is reasonable to take a slight risk if the possible reward is sufficient enough to warrant it.
This means pharmacies need to hold their regular supply for patients who regularly use the drug and order extra if they are getting prescriptions to treat CoVid-19 patients.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status