• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You could try the chaplains here maybe if you can’t afford a Christian therapist?

I’m sure everyone is giving you what they think is the best advice but it’s important you decide to do what you think is best as ultimately you know your husband and family far better than we do.

Keep praying and we will keep praying for you too

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate all the input more than you all know! Some seem to think this is pretty serious, others not so much. It’s so hard to know what to do because while I feel like I know him, this other part that sees all these things he’s looking up feels like I don’t know him at all. I’m not leaving the kids alone with him right now since thankfully I’m not working and have that option, but should I be doing more? I still haven’t confronted

Here's the deal. 1. He isn't going to stop looking at inappropriate content. It's an addiction. 2. He will continue to hide it from you because you don't want him to look at it.

If those things you can live with and he is otherwise a normal, caring, loving person and you love him too, stay married. I doubt he is any more a danger to your children than any other guy you get attached to. And that is no guarantee at all but the odds are in your favor.

If you are not able to live with 1 and 2 above, cut your losses and move on because you will eventually do that anyway.

M'Lady used to go to the strip clubs with me. And we have been married now for fifty years and she says she is completely happy with me and loves me still. It really is what you want and what you can accept.

It isn't about him. It is about you.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This time it seems the content has gotten worse and he’s consistently searching for things about incest like brother/ sister, father/daughter, and we have 3 young kids at home.
Is he the one searching for it, or are those results being pushed on him when he searches for more "conventional" inappropriate content?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the General Struggles forum in our Recovery Section.

Recovery Guidelines

The site wide rules give the outline for what is and what is not acceptable in the Recovery, Mental Health, and Physical Health forums. These Forum-specific guidelines clarify those rules specifically for this area of the site.
Recovery is a place for member peer support and encouragement, not as a substitute for professional care, nor a place for ethical/moral discussions. Only those who are seeking help may start threads in the recovery forums. Informational posts may be submitted to the recovery library for review to be posted.
Recovery Staff feel very strongly that members need to seek out real life licensed professional services and local pastoral care in addition to asking for support and advice here.

These things are considered off topic and will not be allowed in the Recovery forums:
Promoting yourself as an expert in your posts, or in your user title

Diagnosing anyone's symptoms
Offering treatment or any kind to other members
Prescribing/promoting medications of any kind, including over the counter or herbal remedies
Discouraging someone from taking prescribed medications, using or seeking professional services, using hotlines or crisis lines.
Ethical and moral discussions are dealt with in other areas of the forum. These discussions will be removed from recovery or moved to another area if possible.
Any posts dealing with, instructing or suggesting the need for spiritual warfare will be removed. Insinuating that members are possessed or that their Mental, Emotional or Physical health issues are caused by demonic or spiritual issues are not permitted. This includes the "devil is the whole problem" or "You need to get right with God" or "You do not have enough faith" type of statements would be examples of these types of posts. Linking to sites offline that address spiritual warfare are not permitted as well.
Asking or requesting that members engage in research topics or volunteer as research subjects, or links directing web-traffic to another site for this purpose is not appropriate and will be removed. Requests to post a research topic in other areas of CF need to be brought up in Support for permission and if granted, the most appropriate forum for posting it.
No polls or surveys are allowed.

Endorsement of certain topics - This is not allowed and staff will remove any posts which endorse or encourage any of the following behaviors/topics.

• abortion​
    • alcohol and/or drug use/abuse​
    • bisexuality​
    • extramarital or premarital sexual activity​
    • gambling​
    • harmful and/or hurtful behaviors of any nature​
    • homosexuality​
    • polygamy​
    • transsexuality​
    • suicide​
    • violence​

Recovery is a place people come to get support and encouragement in the process of stopping these behaviors/lifestyles and using the Christian faith to help cope with problems. Other areas of CF can be used for discussions of many of these behaviors/topics. Included in this rule is posting triggers to harmful behaviors.
Over the Counter & Alternative Remedies

• Over the counter remedies can interact with prescription medications. Because of that, do not recommend what someone should take, including alternative medications. Limit discussion to your experience with a medication.​
    • Cannabis (Marijuana) is an illegal drug in many states though some states have made it legal for medical purposes only. If you live in an area where it is legal for minor use or medical use, you may find more information about the drug from your physician. Discussion to promote it as an alternative drug not permitted in the recovery or main areas of CF, as this should be addressed with your physician.​

Harmful or hurtful posts:
The Recovery Team Staff will remove posts or threads that we think could be harmful in any way to any member or group of members, Even if the post or thread might not be intentionally harmful. Members will receive notification if it is the only post removed or edited. If there are a group of posts being removed or edited, the thread will have a post that advises of this and states why they were removed/edited (not who specifically).

The Recovery Team Staff will edit or remove posts that we see as being a trigger for someone who is trying to stop doing some behavior. For example, a post that "argues a member should do x, y or z anyways because it doesn't matter" or "I'm just going to drink myself sick."

Because of the risk of triggering suicidal thoughts in others, we remove threats and/or endorsements of suicide. This includes posting that another member others know have killed him/herself. If you are having thoughts about suicide but have no immediate plans or intentions your posts may be able to show. Make sure to **Trigger Warn** the title and the top of your post. If you are having serious issues, log off now and contact 800-SUICIDE in the US, www.imalive.org online in the US, or www.befrienders.org for international crisis centers (found in the upper right hand corner of their site).
We want to allow you to have support from others but we must be careful not to have posts that might trigger others to follow suit. Staff will err on the side of safety and caution for other members in these situations. Please utilize local professional services such as calling 911, going to the emergency room or to a local medical clinic.
When Staff remove these suicidal posts or self harm posts of any threat or description from view we are encouraging the members to seek professional services in their local area and provide phone numbers to local crisis lines if available. Christian Forums is NOT a crisis center, nor are the Recovery Team members trained in Suicidal Intervention. Members continuing to post outside these guidelines may be banned temporarily to seek help offline.
Please note, the Eating Disorders forum may not have numbers in any format in posts, and they will be edited out without notice.
Posts that are graphic in the description of a type of event (such as in trauma that was quite abusive, details of substance use or graphic descriptions of surgery) will be edited or removed to protect others. Our site is open to those who are as young as 16, and may be read by individuals who are younger than 16.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciate all the input more than you all know! Some seem to think this is pretty serious, others not so much. It’s so hard to know what to do because while I feel like I know him, this other part that sees all these things he’s looking up feels like I don’t know him at all. I’m not leaving the kids alone with him right now since thankfully I’m not working and have that option, but should I be doing more? I still haven’t confronted
Yeah. You should shut off the internet. You will quickly find out what is more important to him by his reaction - the inappropriate content or his family.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He is searching specifically for that
I see. This cannot continue.

I wish I had useful advice, but there's no silver bullet solution to inappropriate content addiction. Filtering on any device within the home cannot be relied upon. I will not get into how that can be gotten around for the sake of anyone who uses it and is being helped by it.

Are there men at church that he can reliably be accountable to?

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2018
Tamp
✟18,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see. This cannot continue.

I wish I had useful advice, but there's no silver bullet solution to inappropriate content addiction. Filtering on any device within the home cannot be relied upon. I will not get into how that can be gotten around for the sake of anyone who uses it and is being helped by it.

Are there men at church that he can reliably be accountable to?
I don’t know- I feel like he’d be too embarrassed to get help at church. And I agree with the filtering as in the past no matter how I find out about it he found a different way to access it and then lies when I try to ask him how it’s going or if he’s been tempted. And he knows the lying hurts me more than if he were just honest with me about it.

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There have been a lot of suggestions surrounding cutting out internet, putting up filters, getting him accountability, etc. The problem with this is that, even for the person who is addicted to inappropriate contentography and wants to stop looking at it, they have an addiction, meaning that they can't control it. An addiction isn't just a moral defect, it is something that literally rewires the brain. You indulge in the addiction, it triggers a release of chemicals from the pleasure centers of the brain, and your body takes that positive experience and says, "We need to do this again."

So when you are dealing with someone with an addiction who is not all that interested in stopping, cancelling internet or putting up filters is kind of like you babysitting your husband, and no one wants to have a parent-child relationship with their spouse. Along with that, it's like those cartoons where holes are popping up in a boat and the character is trying to plug them all to keep it from sinking. You can put a stopper on the internet, your computers, your phones, etc. but if he really wants it he is going to find a way to get it.

So with that said, the solution here is that he needs to make the decision for himself that he is going to make changes. I know your concern is about the safety of your children, and I will say that while his inappropriate content addiction and the nature of his searches don't necessarily mean that he is a danger to them, it would be naive to think that it isn't a possibility. If your husband has been a victim of sexual abuse himself in the past, that would make it even more of a concern in my mind.
But regardless of whether or not he is a danger to your kids, he is seriously hurting you with his actions and that is enough to demand change. Any advice you have been given that says you should continue to endure this for the sake of your children or not splitting up your family is downright horrible advice. You are not required to endure this type of emotional trauma by God or anyone else.

With that said, I think it is most helpful if you are clear and straight-forward but also kind in the way you speak to him. It is up to you if you want to wait until you have caught him again, or if you have caught him recently that is enough to have the conversation. My suggestion is to ask him to leave, and say that the only way he is allowed back in is if he starts making changes. There are 12-step support groups all over the country like Sexaholics Anonymous and Sex Addicts Anonymous that cost nothing to be a part of. If he can go to counseling, that would be ideal as well. But at this point, after 10 years, the only way that crap is going to get real for him is if he starts to sense that his addiction is causing him to lose what is most important to him. There is no guarantee that he is going to change, obviously, and you have to be prepared to divorce if that is the case, but this is the only real way you have at this point to ruffle his feathers enough to make him do something about his behavior. I know men who were engaged in extramarital sexual behavior due to their addictions, and one day crap hit the fan, so to speak, and they were kicked out of their house. They saw that they were going to lose their wife and children, and they started doing everything they could to reconcile and get on a better path, and for most of them that is exactly what happened. Many of them have been clean from their addictive behavior for several years now. That is what I hope would happen for him, for your marriage, and for your family.

This might seem a little bit extreme, but marital infidelity is extreme. You do not need to endure this kind of pain in your marriage just because your husband doesn't want to work at it. And all of this is biblical advice. I would not suggest anything that I thought was unbiblical. I will be praying that God would give you the wisdom and strength to do what is necessary for the sake of your own emotional well-being and your marriage, and that he would have a change of heart and find freedom from his addiction as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2018
Tamp
✟18,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been a lot of suggestions surrounding cutting out internet, putting up filters, getting him accountability, etc. The problem with this is that, even for the person who is addicted to inappropriate contentography and wants to stop looking at it, they have an addiction, meaning that they can't control it. An addiction isn't just a moral defect, it is something that literally rewires the brain. You indulge in the addiction, it triggers a release of chemicals from the pleasure centers of the brain, and your body takes that positive experience and says, "We need to do this again."

So when you are dealing with someone with an addiction who is not all that interested in stopping, cancelling internet or putting up filters is kind of like you babysitting your husband, and no one wants to have a parent-child relationship with their spouse. Along with that, it's like those cartoons where holes are popping up in a boat and the character is trying to plug them all to keep it from sinking. You can put a stopper on the internet, your computers, your phones, etc. but if he really wants it he is going to find a way to get it.

So with that said, the solution here is that he needs to make the decision for himself that he is going to make changes. I know your concern is about the safety of your children, and I will say that while his inappropriate content addiction and the nature of his searches don't necessarily mean that he is a danger to them, it would be naive to think that it isn't a possibility. If your husband has been a victim of sexual abuse himself in the past, that would make it even more of a concern in my mind.
But regardless of whether or not he is a danger to your kids, he is seriously hurting you with his actions and that is enough to demand change. Any advice you have been given that says you should continue to endure this for the sake of your children or not splitting up your family is downright horrible advice. You are not required to endure this type of emotional trauma by God or anyone else.

With that said, I think it is most helpful if you are clear and straight-forward but also kind in the way you speak to him. It is up to you if you want to wait until you have caught him again, or if you have caught him recently that is enough to have the conversation. My suggestion is to ask him to leave, and say that the only way he is allowed back in is if he starts making changes. There are 12-step support groups all over the country like Sexaholics Anonymous and Sex Addicts Anonymous that cost nothing to be a part of. If he can go to counseling, that would be ideal as well. But at this point, after 10 years, the only way that crap is going to get real for him is if he starts to sense that his addiction is causing him to lose what is most important to him. There is no guarantee that he is going to change, obviously, and you have to be prepared to divorce if that is the case, but this is the only real way you have at this point to ruffle his feathers enough to make him do something about his behavior. I know men who were engaged in extramarital sexual behavior due to their addictions, and one day crap hit the fan, so to speak, and they were kicked out of their house. They saw that they were going to lose their wife and children, and they started doing everything they could to reconcile and get on a better path, and for most of them that is exactly what happened. Many of them have been clean from their addictive behavior for several years now. That is what I hope would happen for him, for your marriage, and for your family.

This might seem a little bit extreme, but marital infidelity is extreme. You do not need to endure this kind of pain in your marriage just because your husband doesn't want to work at it. And all of this is biblical advice. I would not suggest anything that I thought was unbiblical. I will be praying that God would give you the wisdom and strength to do what is necessary for the sake of your own emotional well-being and your marriage, and that he would have a change of heart and find freedom from his addiction as well.
Thank you so much. The more I have been praying about this I do feel like that may be the best way to go about this. And I agree with your boat analogy. I even asked him today about it and he lied to my face. I gave him the opportunity to talk about it and get my help but even though he knows the lies hurt me more, that’s still what he did. The only problem with asking him to leave until he gets things under control, is I really don’t know that he would have anywhere to go. And we couldn’t financially afford another place. Do you have any advice or ideas of how we could manage a separation when there’s nowhere else to go?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

With that said, I think it is most helpful if you are clear and straight-forward but also kind in the way you speak to him. It is up to you if you want to wait until you have caught him again, or if you have caught him recently that is enough to have the conversation. My suggestion is to ask him to leave, and say that the only way he is allowed back in is if he starts making changes.
Of course he needs to make the decision that his family is more important than his habit (and inappropriate content is a habit, an evil one lets in the gate, not an "addiction" as is say, heroin, if he shot it up regularly and became physically dependent). I don't buy that. A big chocolate sundae gives you a rush of pleasure, and would make you crave sugar if you keep it up on a regular basis, but it's not an "addiction".

It's a bad habit. (Could also be a sin if you are prone to gluttony - that's between you and God)

That said, I simply wouldn't permit inappropriate content access in my home on my watch. Sure, you can't prevent what he does elsewhere and he will do what he wants until he decides the cost is higher than he wants to pay.

That said, I agree with your advice to tell him to leave because it is extreme. Looking at the categories he is looking at is a real red flag.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2018
Tamp
✟18,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course he needs to make the decision that his family is more important than his habit (and inappropriate content is a habit, an evil one lets in the gate, not an "addiction" as is say, heroin, if he shot it up regularly and became physically dependent). I don't buy that. A big chocolate sundae gives you a rush of pleasure, and would make you crave sugar if you keep it up on a regular basis, but it's not an "addiction".

It's a bad habit. (Could also be a sin if you are prone to gluttony - that's between you and God)

That said, I simply wouldn't permit inappropriate content access in my home on my watch. Sure, you can't prevent what he does elsewhere and he will do what he wants until he decides the cost is higher than he wants to pay.

That said, I agree with your advice to tell him to leave because it is extreme. Looking at the categories he is looking at is a real red flag.
What if he has nowhere to go and we can’t afford another place ? Do you have any ideas for that? I do think it’s the best solution from the way things have gone in the past but don’t know how to practically make it work.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if he has nowhere to go and we can’t afford another place ? Do you have any ideas for that? I do think it’s the best solution from the way things have gone in the past but don’t know how to practically make it work.
He would not be accessing inappropriate content under my roof once I know about it. I would do whatever it takes to stop that. You are only responsible for what you know and what you do about it. If he takes other means to access it afterwardl, you will find out. These things always come to light.

If he has nowhere to go, then he doesn't use the internet, since he cannot control himself. Period. It is probably better that he stays rather than go to his parents' or somewhere where he can pursue his habit without interference, actually.

That would be a hard line for me. Heck no, after finding you found. If it is a real hardship to be elsewhere, and he cares about his family, he will be willing.

Upvote 0