ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Good bit of defense mechanisms in action on this thread, trying so desperately to protect a tightly held belief.

I'm finding it hard to believe that someone in the US, in this day and age, actually is this misogynistic. But, recently I've read about people who still believe the world is flat, so...

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Have you ever asked/demanded your wife to submit to you? (something along the lines of saying/implying to her that you are the boss or decision maker or that she should be more submissive etc).

No, and by God's grace, I pray I never do that.

The passage says

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

It does not say, "Husbands, make sure you wife submits to you."

2. If so, how did she respond (e.g. turned off, offended, upset, happy, obedient, etc)? Do you think it worked or should you have tried another method?

N/A

3. Or...How do you get your wife to submit to you without coming across as controlling or denigrating?

As stated above, God does not command me as a husband to make sure I force (or make) my wife to submit to me.

• Winner
Reactions: PollyJetix
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's why I feel like the Bible can be damaging in a husband-wife relationship.

The Bible is never damaging to anyone who seeks to understand the truth of the Bible.

The damage comes from how humans, in their sin, twist scripture to promote their own selfish agenda.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible is never damaging to anyone who seeks to understand the truth of the Bible.

The damage comes from how humans, in their sin, twist scripture to promote their own selfish agenda.
There are so many interpretations of the bible many claim are truth, you cant keep count.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm finding it hard to believe that someone in the US, in this day and age, actually is this misogynistic. But, recently I've read about people who still believe the world is flat, so...
These folks are shrinking in numbers, but the ones left, dig in quite deep.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I take 37 and Honesty at face value. I am sure they believe they sought and found the Biblical truth. But we are not blank slates. We have family, culture, genetics, and any number of experiences which color how we view the world and act as causal factors for our behavior. I am sure a variety of factors separate from the Bible left 37 believing women are less competent than men and insisting on a submissive wife. And a variety of factors separate from the the Bible drew Honesty to 37, believing she is rebellious if she is not submissive. I am sure that a variety of factors led 37 to say he doesn't care about the "opinions, feelings or perspectives" of non-Christians and to call people imbecilic, inexperienced, needing to be corrected, foolish, zealous, sympathizers, inept, whining, incapable, spoiled, blundering, and deficient. Does he have a selfish agenda? I have no idea. I do know that he is unable to appreciate perspectives that do not fit his world view. And I don't have to be a mind reader to figure that out.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are so many interpretations of the bible many claim are truth, you cant keep count.
Due in part to the gentile church losing sight of this:

Rom 3.1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision?
2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God.

The Jews should have the final say-so in biblical interpretation. God gave it to them.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, but that does not change God's truth found in the proper exegesis of scripture.
When this so called interpretation of truth varies so widely, it tends to tell you something. What it tells me is, people interpret this truth, to fit their own psychological needs.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Due in part to the gentile church losing sight of this:

Rom 3.1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision?
2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God.

The Jews should have the final say-so in biblical interpretation. God gave it to them.
Do all the jews agree on biblical interpretation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do all the jews agree on biblical interpretation?
There is an old joke - if you have 5 Jews in a room there are 6 opinions.

But the point is that is OK.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When this so called interpretation of truth varies so widely, it tends to tell you something. What it tells me is, people interpret this truth, to fit their own psychological needs.

God's truth does not vary. People mishandling of His truth has no effect on His truth. But it reveals the sinful nature of man.

You cannot judge truth by how it is abused.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God's truth does not vary. People mishandling of His truth has no effect on His truth. But it reveals the sinful nature of man.

You cannot judge truth by how it is abused.
Truth, can be demonstrated, with independent verification. Personal faith beliefs, is another story.

Upvote 0