• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

husband wants to be sick!

I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH MY HUSBAND FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS. HE WANTS TO BE SCK IN ANYWAY POSSIBLE. HAS GOES TO HE DOC FOR DEPRESSION AND WON'T TRY TO GET OFF THE MEDICHINE. HE BLAMES EVERYTHING ON DEPRESSION. HE HAS CHANGED DOC WHEN THE DOC TOLD HIM IT IS TIME TO GET OFF THE MED. I AM AT ENDS WHEN IT COMES TO BEING DEPRESSED. AFTER I HAD MY 2 CHILD I WAS TOLD I HAD DEPRESSION, WELL I BELIEVEDD IT BECAUSE MY HUSBAND TOLD ME HAD IT. I GOT ON MED FOR ABOUT MONTH TIL I COME TO MY SENSES AND RELIZED THAT I LET POEPLE LABEL ME. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I KNOW THAT SOME POEPLE REALLY DO STRUGGLE WITH DEPRESSION AND NEED TO BE ON MED.
HOW DO I COPE WITH MY HUSBAND WHO WON'T EVEN TRY TO STOP THE MED.AND STOP EVERYTHING ON DEPRESSION OR ON HIS MED?

This is a hard situation. I have been dealing with depression since I was in fourth grade. I am not a sophmore and am just finally getting the RIGHT help. Does your husband see a psychologist? If not, he may want to try that. Talk therapy helps a lot. See there is a thing that happens a lot with people that are depressed...they seem to want to hang on to it. Myself included. But going to the right therapist can help them learn how to get away from that. I have done my research, and altho I don't know your husbands story and background, it sounds like behavioral therapy would be good. The behavioral therapist teaches the person different ways to think and behave.
Don't lose hope...healing does come...just at God's timing. He's taken six years to begin truly healing me...and I still have a long way to go. I know you might be thinking, "Oh, she's just 16, what does she know about life?" But I'm an old 16...and I do know a lot about life...I've been thru a lot. I hope I've helped you a little. Depression is a horrible disease and hard to rid...but with God all things are possible. Two verses that have helped me are: Philippians 3:13-14 and Isaiah 35:3-4
Hope I helped. I will be praying for you and your husband.
In Him,
Angela

Upvote 0

cynjo59

Oct 8, 2002
Western NY
Visit site
✟7,865.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You don't mention whether or not you or your husband are born again or if you attend a church- my advice to you would be to get involved with a good, lively, Bible preaching church and to seek a close relationship with Jesus Christ. You cannot force your husband to change. He will change only if/when he wants to. But you can certainly change the way you cope with and react to his problem! There's a line in a song somewhere that says, "He didn't promise life would be easy, He didn't say we'd always win- He only promised He'd be there and what He promised, He has been..."

Upvote 0
yes my husband and i are born again. i have been real involved in church teaching sunday school ,missionettes, involved in outside ministrys. my husband has been church hoping! he can not find one he likes. so i was forced to give up my teachings! that was the worst part! as a wife i am surrpossed to follow my husband lead and sometimes that means leaving churches. i do not understand that part but i have too i guess. through my husband depression i have had to give up alot!

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a very good doctor. He got me on the right stuff and I'm 100 percent better. Depression can ruin your life. It really can. I had no idea I was depressed for so long. I wish I had gone to the doctor years ago.
Once I realized the problem, I fought it.
Meds work if it's what a person needs. They're not "happy" pills. They correct a particular problem. If they don't do much good, then they are not the right meds, or the problem is not physiological. A good doc should know whether or not counseling is needed.

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I can totally sympathize w/ the depressed hubby thing. Mine was depressed for about 6 months and actually had to take of leave from work to deal w/ it all. I stayed so depressed myself b/c I felt like all the responsibilities of the household and kids was dumped on me. In my case he had become addicted to the meds adn once he finally realized this ( for himself) he came off them and now is soooo much better. The only thing I can offer is try to not let his depression drag you down as well and pray, pray, pray for him!! I'll be praying as wellb/c I know you're not in an easy situation! Good luck and God bless! :pray:

Upvote 0