Iffy

Feb 6, 2002
Brisbane
Visit site
✟15,549.00
Faith
Protestant
Hi all,
I spent a lot of time yesterday transcribing a message on a tape.
http://www.geocities.com/christineliew/swanson.html
If you can, take the time to read it because it is worth your time. It is fascinating and as you will see, encouraging as well. These days when I am amazed when I see the 'weird' stuff in the news. Do you feel the same way too? This message will help you see the 'bigger picture' and motivate you to reaffirm your call in God.
God bless always,
Iffy

Josiah

Super suction ears away!
Jan 20, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟716.00
As I re-read this post, it becomes VERY evident that I haven't even touched the TIP of the iceburg with my little "commentary". Please don't allow what I have said sway you, it is staggeringly incomplete. I would suggest reading the book!!! (Or, actually, the commentary that IFFY has posted!!

Hello! I recently read the book and Dr. Swanson's insights are very thought-provoking. I'd recommend the book to anyone who is interested in a very logical, scientific and Biblical approach to what the future probably holds. The book (among other things) talks about profusion (the propensity towards "things" - ie: cars, houses, ideas, basically ANYTHING that can be numbered growing larger in number and at a faster rate.)
When we factor in the fallenness of man it presents a pretty bleak picture (from the world's standpoint. I, myself, being a Christian, see these ideas as exciting and hope-filled because I see a culmination of events that will ultimately lead to our departure from the world and eternal life with Christ!)
Dr. Swanson has been asked by others if he sees the progression of man in any way from a positive perspective. He has replied that he difinitely does. There are many great inventions and new ideas being presented that will help mankind in various ways. But, he is quick to point out that the fallenness of man must be factored in. He uses the argument that 100 good things can be completely undone by one bad thing if it's bad enough.
IE: Much effort and care involving hundreds of steps and countless ongoing hours of preservation may go into creating a pond used as natural habitat for fish and waterfowl, but all of that can be undone by one tanker truck filled with toxic chemicals that has an accident and spills its contents into the lake (the accident being the result of living in a fallen world).

I know I'm probably not doing his book justice, Dr. Swanson is not a doomsday prophet or any kind of prophet for that matter. I know some would argue with many of his points, but it's very difficult because he really only uses factual information, nothing ethereal. All I can say is his book is very interesting.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Iffy! :wave:

Thank you so much for posting that link---I read the whole thing! :clap: Whew! And it was words I needed to read. I have been concerned lately because of all the things I am hearing in the news, especially recently in Israel. And Dr. Swanson's words helped me to get back to my spiritual center, as I have been in a "oh what if this happens", or "oh what if that happens", kind of spiritual state of mind for a few weeks now.

I love this:I just am grateful to God, for living today. That might sound strange given the topic that we've covered. God is not a random God. He is not a cosmic accident. You and I are sitting here alive today and He picked me, He picked you and every one of us who are listening to be alive today. He's given us a ministry, a specific ministry to do and He has faith in our ability to do that ministry.
And I say thank you God for putting me on this stage at this very very interesting time, giving me this ministry
hopefully speaking encouragement and hope to people, and explaining to them the bigger picture, the picture that includes God , and things that are possible, that are positive and the common good and bigger than myself that I can give myself to.

There is a place in the interview that gets a little depressing, but keep reading on---you will be blessed!

So thanks Iffy, and I will surely get his book. I have put the interview on my favorites. :)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It gets interesting about half way through:

Start doing in a serious radical way what the scriptures have called us to do. Start loving people as if you meant it. Start living for God. Start loving your neighbours. Start spreading the good news. A message of reconciliation talks about patience ,kindness, lowliness, gentleness and meekness and all the fruits of the Spirit and we can put all those in our lives right now and have a tremendous effect on a needy world who's chaotic, who's casting about.

We have a place to stand that God has given us, it's unmobable and unshakable. He's given ministries to us that are simply unprecedented. And He has said I will hold your hand, I'm here This is not a game I'm real. I'm right behind you. Believe me. And the scripture through and through talks about that sovereignty, power and intimacy of God. And so start to live as if we actually believe it. And then do the ministry that God has placed before us and leave the timing up to God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.