Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I survived hurricane Ian. It started off as a weak tropical storm in the Atlantic and grew bigger as it reached the Carribean an closer to Florida. My dad, mom and I watched the weather report on the news constantly. My mom bought bottled drinking water and dry food. My dad and I put up home-made plywood shutters over the windows. Florida houses have a lot of windows. Our safe place was the master bathroom, my parents' bathroom. It only had one small window that was up high on the wall. There were mirrors, but this was the only place there was. So mom put down mats, towels and blankets, I had my pillows and stuffed animals with me. I had my Bible and favorite books, and a flashlight, we had a lot of flash lights with fresh batteries. The house lost eletrical power. The hurricane was scary, there was heavy down pouring rain, really fierce whipping wind, loud thunder, flashes of lightning. We did a lot of praying. My dad said that when they bought the house when I was a teen they made sure it was on high ground, not near water like a canal or beach or stream.

You know Jesus' parable about the man who built his house on the rock, and the man who built his house on the sand? Our house is built on the rock. There are so many foolish people who build there house on the sand. They have homes near the water and when a storm comes, their homes are destroyed and flooded. Like a non-Christian that builds their home on worldly things. Christians build their homes on the rock of Christ, the Rock of ages.

The trees were ruined and dad and I did such a hard job cleaning up after the ruined trees. We had to gather up fallen branches into a pile by the street. The garbage takers took garbage bags of rotten food in the fridge because the power was out and the food in the fridge spoiled we had to throw it all out. There are places in town destroyed by hurricane Ian, street lights down, traffic lights down, power lines broken, fallen, snapped where situations of getting eletrocuted are at risk. There are damages to a lot of buildings, in water areas there are flooding, people and their pets drowned. God was looking out for us, only our trees and yard were damaged. The house is pretty much ok.

Praise the Lord! We survived and are pretty much OK. I know a lot of people are really suffering. Another good thing is I have been able to go back to art lessons. The ladies in class gave their 'hurricane war' stories and we worked on one piece of art that would take our mind off our troubles. I am painting acrylic on canvas a scene of live oak trees with Spanish moss, 2 southern belles in the foreground and an old southern mansion at the back. It is suppose to be a Christmas present for Mom and Dad.

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Quite a story, I'm glad you're okay. I'm from Miami and remember Donna, Betsey and Cleo, the way the wind sounded like a freight train overhead and the coconut palms singing like harmonicas. Salt water fish in our yard the next morning even though we were miles from the bay, and huge trees blown over. I missed Andrew, had moved up north the month before, but my fiance' was in the thick of it and many of my friends have harrowing stories.

Hang in there, and keep helping your folks out.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a lot of problems in Charley, I was not prepared mentally. I am much better and am better off in my walk with Christ. I was more prepared both mentally, physically and spiritually this time. The town and a lot of places around, other towns are a mess. But people are helping out people, we are getting through it.

• Friendly
Reactions: chilehed
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am doing good now. I am taking art lessons. I'm painting a picture as a Christmas present for my parents. I am exploring the Bible and praying. Doing what I can to clean the house. I am also working on stories. I would like to get back on my Rose Princess story. I want to draw some Christmas cards, but I do not know if I have time. I am thinking about drawing some Christmas angels. I want to work on a nativity scene. I have been interested in drawing/painting Christian and Bible art because the Lord gave me artistic talents, the gift, so I should thank Him, repay Him. I want to honor, obey the Lord. I want to spread the message of the gospel.

Upvote 0