Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is the basis of human value? If one doesn't consider humans to be created in the image of God, which is often considered a basis for human value for some theists, what confers human value, if anything? There are a number of religious conceptions and non-religious conceptions possible here, I assume.

Do humans have inherent value? If so, how so? If not, why not?

Here are some possibilities that come to my mind, if we assume human value has no transcendent, metaphysical (inherent) basis, resting solely (if at all) on properties of being human:

A. All humans have value due to a conjunction of properties that all humans share, e.g. all humans are alive + all have potential to contribute to the common well-being + all care about their own well-being, etc. (The list of properties might be very different than these, but there are some properties that all humans share that confers value on the every member of the whole).

B. All humans have value because we value ourselves and by an act of empathy can see others as being similar, with similar wants and needs. (This would be something like the golden rule-treat others as you want to be treated-which seems to be ubiquitous among the world's religions and philosophies.)

C. Only some humans have value based on their peculiar set of properties. There are a couple possibilities here.
1. All humans of value share similar properties (intelligent + cooperative + contributes to the well-being of all + industrious). (These, again, could be very different, but all humans of value share similar properties. Also, those who don't share that set are not of value.)
2. Some humans are of value, but they might have radically different sets of value-conferring properties and they only have value in relation to some people. (For example, there are some people that have value according to me for various reasons. There is a different set that has value to you. Human value is idiosyncratic to the one who confers human value.)

I am sure there are other possibilities. And, it might be that some hold that no humans have value, which I would be really interested in hearing more about.

Reactions: PuerAzaelis

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A/B. Tempt me as explanations. It may be that for ages of human life, group (and therefore individual) success required a presumption that that everyone had some essential value, just for group harmony. And so a presumption of value for those in-group got "written on our hearts".

(Btw I see religion as neutral regarding the universal value of humans. Christians, for example, have often used scripture to reinforce both vicious de-valuing of other humans, and on other occasions the the most profound respect for all human beings.)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(Btw I see religion as neutral regarding the universal value of humans. Christians, for example, have often used scripture to reinforce both vicious de-valuing of other humans, and on other occasions the the most profound respect for all human beings.)

That's a good point. I agree that has been the case.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It may be that for ages of human life, group (and therefore individual) success required a presumption that that everyone had some essential value, just for group harmony. And so a presumption of value for those in-group got "written on our hearts

So perhaps another option is not based on human properties at all. Maybe human value is presumed for the sake of overall well-being? The end justifies (is the basis for) the means?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So perhaps another option is not based on human properties at all. Maybe human value presumed for the sake of overall well-being? The end justifies (is the basis for) the means?
Seems plausible. An alternative is for group leadership to keep a meticulous ledger on every member documenting their various contributions to (and demands on) the group culminating in a moving "future-value-score". Hmm. No. Better just to cultivate a feeling of value for others which only some great offense can erase.

(I have to admit to not even understanding inherent value. It seems nonsensical in that value by definition is conferred by a subject.)

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An alternative is for group leadership to keep a meticulous ledger on every member documenting their various contributions to (and demands on) the group culminating in a moving "future-value-score". Hmm. No

Lol, yeah that sounds like an all around bad idea.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or just as an axiom that we accept as a means of creating a society. We hold these truths to be self-evident.

Now that's beginning to sound like an obvious option. I didn't even consider it, which probably shows a presumption on my part.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Something along the lines of B. Or just as an axiom that we accept as a means of creating a society. We hold these truths to be self-evident...
Thats exactly like my first take on it, except more succinctly put.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,061.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is the basis of human value? If one doesn't consider humans to be created in the image of God, which is often considered a basis for human value for some theists, what confers human value, if anything? There are a number of religious conceptions and non-religious conceptions possible here, I assume.

Here are some possibilities that come to my mind, if we assume human value has no transcendent, metaphysical (inherent) basis, resting solely (if at all) on properties of being human:

A. All humans have value due to a conjunction of properties that all humans share, e.g. all humans are alive + all have potential to contribute to the common well-being + all care about their own well-being, etc. (The list of properties might be very different than these, but there are some properties that all humans share that confers value on the every member of the whole).

B. All humans have value because we value ourselves and by an act of empathy can see others as being similar, with similar wants and needs. (This would be something like the golden rule-treat others as you want to be treated-which seems to be ubiquitous among the world's religions and philosophies.)

C. Only some humans have value based on their peculiar set of properties. There are a couple possibilities here.
1. All humans of value share similar properties (intelligent + cooperative + contributes to the well-being of all + industrious). (These, again, could be very different, but all humans of value share similar properties. Also, those who don't share that set are not of value.)
2. Some humans are of value, but they might have radically different sets of value-conferring properties and they only have value in relation to some people. (For example, there are some people that have value according to me for various reasons. There is a different set that has value to you. Human value is idiosyncratic to the one who confers human value.)

I am sure there are other possibilities. And, it might be that some hold that no humans have value, which I would be really interested in hearing more about.
It all rests on empathy, does it not ?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,061.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seems plausible. An alternative is for group leadership to keep a meticulous ledger on every member documenting their various contributions to (and demands on) the group culminating in a moving "future-value-score". Hmm. No. Better just to cultivate a feeling of value for others which only some great offense can erase.

(I have to admit to not even understanding inherent value. It seems nonsensical in that value by definition is conferred by a subject.)
Welcome to China

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, one distinction that comes up in the literature I'm reading is human value based on appraisal vs. human value based on bestowal.

If based on appraisal, then human value is a conclusion; whereas, if based on bestowal it is based on a prior assumption/commitment to the idea of human value. I realize now, all my options are pretty much based on appraisal.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Viewed outside of The Bible, it is to just keep reproducing, to be entertained some before dying and trying to advance in technology.

From a Biblical view, human value must be some how connected to satan and his sin against God. Possibly humans were created as answer to satan and his appeal of his sentance to the lake of fire. As satan is known as an accuser since when satan sinned, he was not immediately sent to the lake of fire. He may have appealed his sentence and as an answer to satans appeal God created humanity. So humanity has great value to God, so great He took on humanity.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It all rests on empathy, does it not ?

I do think that is an option, but I wouldn't say the only one. It has already been pointed out a couple times that human value can simply be assumed for the sake of the greater good. Now that I have given it some thought, that is a very pragmatic approach and reminds me of something Richard Rorty might assert.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From a Biblical view, human value must be some how connected to satan and his sin against God

This is a bit outside the scope of this thread, but that strikes me as an odd claim (no offense). Human value is based in Satan's sin? That's a unique claim for a theist, I would think. Am I misunderstanding you?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is a bit outside the scope of this thread, but that strikes me as an odd claim (no offense). Human value is based in Satan's sin? That's a unique claim for a theist, I would think. Am I misunderstanding you?

Human value is not based on satans sin. But possibly, humans were created by God in an answer to satans appeal of his sentence to the lake of fire.

After God created the angels, really what need is there to create a lower being, angels were fully capable of worshiping God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
value is not based on satans sin

Okay, I misunderstood that part. I'm not clear on the rest, but that's okay. I'm looking for ways to ground (or not) human value without recourse to Christian dogma.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I think 'C' is regnant, and probably has dominated over most of history.

I think the only sure basis for human value is the value that God has endowed us with. That alone overcomes 'C'.

Upvote 0