human life began in Africa, is this not what the bible tells us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm telling you to consider everything.

I have. I find that faith based claims are not worth accepting over evidenced based claims.

As interpreted by certain people.

Interpretations that you can't show to be wrong.

If you remember my example from the post you just quoted from (2 posts ago), I said someone in the pool said the water is warm.

You will notice that in my example the people are already in the pool and know that there is water. This is like the situation we have here, someone telling us there is no evidence for evolution when we are surrounded in it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is irrationality.

Yes, I'm familiar with scientists preferring Mark Twain's definition of faith.

It sterilizes Foxe's Book of Martyrs by making them look like they died, knowing what they died for was a lie.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If I believed that the moon is made of chees, is this evidence that the moon is made of cheese?

It IS made of cheese! Do I have to prove that to you! Man! ;)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You will notice that in my example the people are already in the pool and know that there is water. This is like the situation we have here, someone telling us there is no evidence for evolution when we are surrounded in it.

I see. So you ignored my example instead of addressing it, and then changed it in order to deflect. I guess you're not really into learning anything here, which doesn't show you to be very open-minded. Hard to take you seriously.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
I think AV1611VET answered your question very well.
Wrong. There are no posts from AV1611VET containing links to your posts containing evidence, Aldebaran.
What you cite is AV1611VET quoting a Bible verse in Physical & Life Sciences. We know that people exist with faith in things without any evidence or even with evidence against what they believe, e.g. Young Earth Creationists, Flat Earthers. Geocentralists, etc. You and AV1611VE do not need to emphasize this.

24th February 2015: Can you link to some of this evidence in this thread, Aldebaran?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I see. So you ignored my example instead of addressing it, and then changed it in order to deflect. I guess you're not really into learning anything here, which doesn't show you to be very open-minded. Hard to take you seriously.

I changed it to reflect reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟296,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We would also go extinct if we never used faith. Think about it.

Hmmm. Interesting perspective which I tend agree with, to some extent. I wonder if any studies have been done on the evolutionary advantages of faith in general. Or, were you talking about a specific faith?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
That's because faith requires an object; and not just an object, but an object acted on.
Correct and irrelevant, AV1611VET: Faith
Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a being, object, living organism, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion. Faith may also refer to a hope or belief, rational or irrational, in a certain outcome. Faith is used to refer to a belief that is not based on proof or evidence.[1] The word faith is sometimes used as a synonym for hope,[2] for trust,[3] or for belief.[4]
Let us say we hypothetically accept Aldebaran's ignorant assertion that faith is evidence. That leads to
  1. Christians have faith that God exists.
  2. Hindus have faith that Shiva and other gods exist.
  3. The Greeks had faith that Zeus, etc, existed.
  4. Etc.
  5. Thus every god in every religion exists :p

We could then detail into questions like: If your belief is based on the words in a book then does everything in every book exist? Is your belief based on a bias towards this specific book instilled into you somehow?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
We would also go extinct if we never used faith. Think about it.
Actually we would go extinct if we only used faith. Think about it. Faith is ignoring evidence. Ignoring the evidence that there is a lion hiding in the grass is kind of fatal :D.
More modern - ignoring the evidence that a species killing asteroid has in the past and could in the future hit the Earth in favor of a "God will protect us" faith is not good.

The real world has all except 1 current species never using faith and they are not extinct.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  4. Etc.

As I said, faith requires an object.

Shiva, Zeus, Etc, and Mother Nature all came after JEHOVAH.

We call that: diabolical mimicry or diabolical plagiarism.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
That is what I quoted in from Faith:
Correct and irrelevant, AV1611VET: Faith

Let us say we hypothetically accept Aldebaran's ignorant assertion that faith is evidence. That leads to
  4. Etc.
Every god in every religion in every religion is an object regardless of any order that you imagine they were created, AV1611VET.

The real world has JEHOVAH appearing late in the history of religion, AV1611VET. Take burial rites as evidence of religious rites and the first gods appears about 33,000-25,000 BCE. that is 30,000 years before JEHOVAH appeared ~3750 BCE when the Proto-Semitic people appeared.

Of course every god with a creation myth created the world and thus "appeared" at the same time as the other gods with creation myths :p.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Shiva, Zeus, Etc, and Mother Nature all came after JEHOVAH.

We call that: diabolical mimicry or diabolical plagiarism.

Ancient Egyptian religion emerged long (ie over 1000 years) before Jehovah/Yahweh was worshipped.

This timeline is quite useful: Timeline of religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and the pages about History of Religion and the specific ancient religions are all useful.

Prehistoric groups had their own religious beliefs as we can see from archaeological finds of careful burial practices etc.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ancient Egyptian religion emerged long (ie over 1000 years) before Jehovah/Yahweh was worshipped.

Ya ... ya.

And these "Ancient Egyptians" also predated the Flood, didn't they?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Religion ... along with its history ... can take a hike.
So you are an atheist (and yes I know that this is not the case), AV1611VET :p?
What I wrote:
The real world has JEHOVAH appearing late in the history of religion, AV1611VET. Take burial rites as evidence of religious rites and the first gods appears about 33,000-25,000 BCE. that is 30,000 years before JEHOVAH appeared ~3750 BCE when the Proto-Semitic people appeared.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.