1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Human Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by doubtingmerle, Jul 18, 2022.

1. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+1,623
    Humanist
    Private
    When I'm thinking scientifically, I would draw the same conclusions.
    Whether you agree with me about that or not, is not relevant to those conclusions.
    I never attempted to convince you of that either, and what you 'knew all along' must have come about by some process other than the scientific method applied to the relevant data pertaining to the human lineage development over the longer timeframe.

What you claim there, would be inconsistent with the principles of biological Evolution (Encephalization). You have not presented any evidence to the contrary.

Evolution of our species' brain (or any other organs, etc) doesn't just suddenly stop due to a lack of evidence, y'know(?)

2. doubtingmerle

doubtingmerle I'll think about it. Supporter

+2,190
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Selfsim,

I really don't understand why you wrote, "Bunkum!" following a quote of the OP. You followed with a link to a paper about human brain sizes in the Holocene (last 12,000 years) that was irrelevant to the OP, which dealt with a period of 4 million years.

I know the OP mistakenly called hominids "humans" in a few places, and I fixed that mistake. But other than that, I can't see what you are complaining about. And your subsequent posts are doing nothing to clarify things for me.

The OP is a brief populist overview of the evolution of the human species from an ancestor that we shared in common with the chimp. In particular, the OP deals with brain development.

I have stated before that my main source for this was the NOVA documentary, Becoming Human. I also draw extensively from the talkorigins archives, books by Richard Dawkins, and other sources. If I am mistaken on some point, I would like to know what I said wrong. Instead what I am seeing here is a broadside attack of "Bunkum!" with no clear indication of your concern.

Which is again an evasion of the question.

Just like our discussion on the Big Bang, you keep on posting evasive answers. Your creationists friends love your attacks on humanism, the Big Bang, human evolution, etc. And when I probe to see if you are condemning all of humanism, the Big Bang, human evolution, etc. or just some particular point of dispute, I see repeated evasions.

You identify as a humanist, but I have yet to see you write one thing positive about humanism, even after I have asked you multiple times if you had something positive to say about humanism.

Again the question was whether you thought humans and chimps share a common ancestor. That is a simple question that would be answered "Yes" by any humanist I know. Do you also answer, "Yes"?

What were you trying to convince me of? You wrote, "Bunkum!", which is pretty strong language. I have made two guesses at what you were trying to say. You tell me both of my guesses were wrong. Fine. Then please tell me specifically what you thought was bunkum.

Regarding the process that my mainstream science sources used to study human origins, I assure you that they used the scientific method. I have no firsthand research into human origins, so I am telling you what leading scientists say they have found.

This really confuses me. What I claim is that the hominid brain leading to humans had significant increases in size and complexity as it evolved from the common ancestor with the chimp.

If you agree with me that humans and chimps had a common ancestor, then you must agree with me that the brain underwent significant evolution as our line evolved into humans. And yet you cry "bunkum" when I state this, while repeating evasive answers that sorta agree with what I said, without actually saying so.

Huh?

Understood.

If your issue is that human brains have not changed significantly in the last 12,000 years, that may well be true. You have quoted reliable sources saying this. None of that in any way disputes that there was massive brain evolution in the hominid line leading to Homo sapiens over the course of the last 4 million years.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  3. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+2,165
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    You are more patient than I am.

4. ruthiesea

ruthiesea Well-Known Member

+439
    Judaism
    Married
    Allah is imply the Arabic word for god. I’ve heard it used in churches and synagogues in Israel. In France it is dieu. In Spanish it’s dios.

Muslims, Christians, and Jews all worship the G-d of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Admittedly, though, we have different concepts of Him. Those difference exists even amongst Christian’s.

5. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+42,787
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Go over there and tell them that and see if you come back in one piece.

Remember Salman Rushdie?

He lucked out, didn't he?

6. BPPLEE

BPPLEE Well-Known Member

+1,063
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don't know about you but I don't worship Allah

7. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+2,165
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    Me too also don't either.

8. BPPLEE

BPPLEE Well-Known Member

+1,063
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  9. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+2,165
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
  10. BPPLEE

BPPLEE Well-Known Member

+1,063
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  11. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+2,165
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship
    I liked Rendezvous with Rama

12. AV1611VET

+42,787
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    That makes two of us.

13. AV1611VET

+42,787
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
  14. doubtingmerle

+2,190
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If you spoke Arabic, what name would you use for God?

15. BPPLEE

BPPLEE Well-Known Member

+1,063
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Isa

16. AV1611VET

+42,787
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    JEHOVAH

17. doubtingmerle

+2,190
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If you were a Greek author of the New Testament, what word would you use for God? Theos?