• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Human activity has pushed Earth beyond four of nine ‘planetary boundaries’

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+18,979
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Interesting article from the Washington Post.

Scientists: Human activity has pushed Earth beyond four of nine ?planetary boundaries? - The Washington Post

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    Well duh. I just hope I die (hopefully peaceably) before the wheels come off.

3. hsilgne

hsilgne Frustrated in Hooterville.

+1,209
    Catholic
    Married
    "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone"

I'm keeping all my eggs in Gods basket. Call me a fool.

4. Michie

+18,979
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Scoot over.

Even still, we are called to be good stewards.

5. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,323
    Catholic
    Single
    as science grows greater, the earth will be able to hold more people
    we just need science and technology to catch up with the population boom

as science and technology grow at a rapid speed in this digital and computerized age, I am not really worried about it

you could have the entire population of the world life in Texas and Oklahoma and it would not even be at the Population density of New York City
    like New York seems crowded, but you have to think, they have huge parks and museums and schools and normal stuff like that
    so yeah, you could have 7 billion people in Texas and Oklahoma
    5 Billion in China
    3 Billion in the habitable parts of Russia
    a few Billion in Spain and Portugal
    7 Billion people in Brazil
    a few billion in England and Scotland and Wales

and just have the rest of the earth used for farming
    those locations are just put up at random, doing some light research on what area is good for living but not great for farming
    most of the wheat in the world is grown in the USA, Argentina, Italy and the Ukraine
    so I figure we would have population centers close to them, and the rest of the countries just used for farm land and stick factories in deserts
    maybe keep different parts of Africa as a nature preserve/ eco system test lab, and factories in the Sahara desert
    also like, local communities could grow vegetables, imagine Central Park not as a public park but as a collection of community gardens, or roof top gardens on buildings
    like we talk about running out of space for people, but that is only because we do not use our land right, we have huge areas that could be put to better use

so yeah, the world could easily hold like 25 Billion people if we got out act together
    so I am not too worried
    I mean, we are a "developed country"
    have you seen South Dakota?
    we have almost NO ONE living there

6. classicalhero

classicalhero Junior Member

+396
    Baptist
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    We are not destroying the earth. I don't trust the scientists because they have predictions in the past that have failed to come true. A similar principle should apply to those scientists who make predictions about their work.
    Deut 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

7. IgnatiusOfAntioch

IgnatiusOfAntioch Contributor

+448
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution

Attached Files:

8. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,497
    Catholic
    Married
  9. hsilgne

+1,209
    Catholic
    Married
    I'm all for clean water and fresh air... I've got the 'blue boxes and black boxes' and sort all my trash and card board and blah blah blah(what a pain in the butt!! - lol).

I just don't buy into the 'doomsday' hysteria being sold by the environmentalists. They've been spewing their noise pollution for far too long. IMO.

10. hsilgne

+1,209
    Catholic
    Married
  11. Michie

+18,979
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh yeah. I try to read up on it as far as I can understand it. But I don't buy into everything that comes down the pike.

12. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    No it won't. Science can't make the Earth bigger and its ability to renew or find other resources has proven limited. Very limited.

Sorry, science is not a panacea or savior of sorts.

You should be. PS technology isn't really all that "rapid" these days; this is another myth.

Oh brother, not this silliness again :doh:

13. imind

imind Senior Veteran

+658
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    no, it wasn't, ever...its an old, tired argument used by denialists that has no merit whatsoever...

14. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+6,104
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Keeping all your eggs in God's basket?

God wants you to do more than "trust in Him." He wants you to partner with Him.

If trusting in God and living like there's no tomorrow is all that's needed, smokers would never die of lung cancer.

Don't trust God and play chicken with him at the same time.

15. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    Which you "know" because...........

So you don't trust anyone who isn't correct 100% of the time? Wow. And I thought I was a cynic.

Our resources are declining rapidly. The Earth's population keeps growing but the Earth isn't getting any bigger, and the vast majority of our resources aren't renewable, at least not at anywhere near the rate we're using them up. If people want to bury their head in the sand about that, that's their priority, but I find that a baffling and scary approach.

16. hsilgne

+1,209
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, it was.

And it goes to show how easily some can be moved to unnecessary hysteria.

17. hsilgne

+1,209
    Catholic
    Married
    I will not become a victim of false and heretical theology.

And I will continue to refuse to worship His creation. Pharaoh did that, look where it got him.

Matthew 22: 37

18. brewmama

brewmama Senior Veteran

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Perhaps you should watch perpetuating your own hoaxes, since the article in Time DID predict ice ages, although that cover was fake

“Sorry, a TIME Magazine Cover Did Not Predict a Coming Ice Age”… It was just a TIME article. | Watts Up With That?

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com...ss-and-mild-winters-blamed-on-global-cooling/

19. brewmama

brewmama Senior Veteran

+982
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
  20. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,497
    Catholic
    Married
    You are falsely accusing me now. Did you read the link I posted? I mentioned that Time did report on some scientists who thought the Earth was coming and that an ice age was a possibility. I did not make a claim that anything you are saying is refuting. I understand pride and haste but you should not bear false witness.