Not open for further replies.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don’t be absurd. Do you really believe that governments in Canada, Australia, France, UK, Netherlands, etc. are going to turn on their citizens? These nations have basically gun free for decades. And nary a dictator among them.
They have been losing more and more rights for decades for sure. Canada is hardly gun free, BTW, but they do have too many restrictions.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiastes 10:14-15
14A fool also multiplies words.
No man knows what is to be;

Who can tell him -what will be after him?
15 The labor of fools wearies them,
For they do not even know how to go to the city!

Seems like the wisdom of Solomon knew about these fools who multiply their own words" In short a lot of words of their false opinions to somehow make their argments about their guns and why they think they need them in abundance.

15 Speaks of this labor of fools that do not even know how go to the city---in this case the city of Richmond for this gun rally, without brandishing the high -powered weaponry.

The question is "does one want to be known as a fool --espeically to Christ OR use wisdom from God to understand what those two verse are saying?
What do those verses have to do with this discussion?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You have not engaged my fairly carefully articulated argument. Where, specifically, does it fail?
Like I said, it’s the person, not the weapon. We don’t have a gun problem. We have a sin problem. Folks have been killing each other long before the gun.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do those verses have to do with this discussion?

Use you purported wisdom to figure it out. Very much about the OP.

But I think you,[ again] inadvertently admitted to being one of these "fools".

Once again as you seem to want to avoid the Words of the Bible

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They have been losing more and more rights for decades for sure. Canada is hardly gun free, BTW, but they do have too many restrictions.

Indeed. One of the most prolific posters in the "Firearms" section is Canadian.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Studies are the best answer to what is actually going on

"The likelihood of injury when there was a self-defense gun use (10.9%) was basically identical to the likelihood of injury when the victim took no action at all (11.0%)," Hemenway and co-author Sara J. Solnik found.( The epidemiology of self-defense gun use: Evidence from the National Crime Victimization Surveys 2007–2011 paper )

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Use you purported wisdom to figure it out. Very much about the OP.

But I think you,[ again] inadvertently admitted to being one of these "fools".

Once again as you seem to want to avoid the Words of the Bible

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.
I don't despise wisdom or instruction when I find it. The wise man prepares for all eventualities.

Proverbs 6:6-11
6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man.

Luke 11:21

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And your post which you obviously do not understand is about this gun rally with words that are meaningless.

This post is all about the gun rally and fools that try to make something that isn't. In this case you start out with the example an ant---this applies to men carrying guns--exactly how? You saying you are really an ant and a sluggard?

Ecclesiastes 10:14-15
14A fool also multiplies words.
No man knows what is to be;

Who can tell him -what will be after him?
15 The labor of fools wearies them,
For they do not even know how to go to the city!

Seems like the wisdom of Solomon knew about these fools who multiply their own words" In short a lot of words of their false opinions to somehow make their arguments about their guns and why they think they need them in abundance.

15 Speaks of this labor of fools that do not even know how go to the city---in this case the city of Richmond for this gun rally, without brandishing the high -powered weaponry.

Once again'

At least post verses that are relevant to the OP.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't despise wisdom or instruction when I find it. The wise man prepares for all eventualities.

Proverbs 6:6-11
6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Double post

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed

Are you saying men in Countries that have strict gun laws and no gun-rally nonsense are weak with this last misunderstood verse?

Seems like you are wasting your time arguing with just me in this foolish thought.

And just what do you think that verse means by fully armed? Talk about those who cherry-pick verse to make their arguments.

The context is all about satan and being fully armed against satan, not fully armed against mere men who can break into your house. Paul expounds on that with being fully armed with the armor of God in Ephesians 6:10-20, but I'll bet you do not look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, you would just have more death. Restrictions on guns doesn't stop killing. It only stops non criminals from having access to the mean to protect themselves.

I can think of hundreds of easier ways to kill hundreds of people than guns. The problem is evil people. No Amount of restriction stops evil doers from murder, only good people with the means to defend against evil doers.
More people died from a couple airplanes deliberately crashed into the twin towers than in any shooting.

"No, you would just have more death."

So guns that currently kill people, if not there, would kill more people.
Weirdly the real problem is the opposite of what is being talked about.

If everyone had to learn to shoot, and be in the army, and face the reality of war and conflict, how difficult weapons are, the amount of care needed and what is appropriate or not, ideas would change.

People would realise guns are dangerous, full stop. Idiots shoot themselves all the time, kids get access to them, and hurt themselves and others. Literally no one should have access unless they know what they are doing and have been examined as being competent.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When my girlfriend (now wife) and I had been together a few years, I bought her a gun and gave it to her. I had loaned her one of mine earlier, after teaching her how to use it.

That was 34 years ago. She still has it, and carries it every day (legally).
We are very happily married, and haven't shot each other yet, oddly...

This is an interesting testimony. This gun has been totally pointless, and has been no use whatsoever.
It has carried a real risk of doing harm wherever it has gone, and if used, the user probably has forgotten how to operate it. My daughter was on an army shooting range and got the sites mixed up and shot over the targets by mistake. Unless you remember what to do, no matter how simple, it is just dangerous.
If you carry a gun, for it to have meaning, you have to be able to use it correctly, instantly, with lethal force or it is just a literal liability.

To have a gun, even with the possibility of inappropriate use, again should not even be a question.

Every year kids accidentally come across guns and shoot people and themselves. And these guns otherwise do nothing but sit in draws. Insane.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
On a simple personal level, a man stands in front of me pointing a gun at me.
God has allowed this situation to occur. I do not want this man dead, but resting in the arms of Christ.

How can I show love by blowing them away?
Where is our trust? In the God we serve or in the speed of our ability to kill with lethal force?

For me the spiritual dimension of carrying a gun gives better protection than my trust in Christ is a problem. Wearing a kevlar jacket, that protects against the sin of my neighbour, so that I might more fully show the love of Christ works for me.

And the police wear body armour because weapons do not guarantee protection, only deterrence.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This post is all about the gun rally and fools that try to make something that isn't. In this case you start out with the example an ant---this applies to men carrying guns--exactly how? You saying you are really an ant and a sluggard
Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be in danger of the council; but whosoever shall say, ‘Thou fool,’ shall be in danger of hell fire.

Let's not forget that many of those people were your brothers and sisters in Christ. Judging them to be fools because they have guns, which you also possess, is not only harsh, it's a double standard.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be in danger of the council; but whosoever shall say, ‘Thou fool,’ shall be in danger of hell fire.

Let's not forget that many of those people were your brothers and sisters in Christ. Judging them to be fools because they have guns, which you also possess, is not only harsh, it's a double standard.

So you are admitting that you are angry at me without just cause, here. "Raca'
which means the spirit of anger.

I certainly am not angry with you, as you are just decieved. Seem that some have some very thin skin.

As to me calling you a fool--scripture does that.

Proverbs 10:21
The lips of the righteous feed many, But fools die for lack of wisdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"No, you would just have more death."

So guns that currently kill people, if not there, would kill more people.
Weirdly the real problem is the opposite of what is being talked about.

If everyone had to learn to shoot, and be in the army, and face the reality of war and conflict, how difficult weapons are, the amount of care needed and what is appropriate or not, ideas would change.

People would realise guns are dangerous, full stop. Idiots shoot themselves all the time, kids get access to them, and hurt themselves and others. Literally no one should have access unless they know what they are doing and have been examined as being competent.
Criminals have ways to get guns, regardless of laws, obviously. This is elementary.
And you know little about guns. They don't eat anything. Clean them when needed and practice sometimes. It's not hard. It's mostly common sense. You have about 500 accidental gun deaths in a year in a country of three million people. Compare that to 40 thousand who died in vehicle accidents.
More people die from simply slipping and falling, or drowning in swimming pools. If you really care about accidental deaths, you should be lobbying to eliminate motor vehicles and machinery.
Or swimming in ponds lakes and streams, which kills well over a thousand people a year.
If we try to eliminate anything that " idiots" can die from, we are all going to be wrapped in protective clothing and never leaving our houses.
And whatever you do, don't give that kid a bath, he's much more likely to die from drowning in the tub then from an accidental gun shot.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I will let the chips fall as they may with the others who by way are not identified --the old "shoe fits wear it" kind of thing.

But then you here accused me of calling you,Reniks a fool. I commented one time that you are admitting to that factor'

What? do people make up their own dialog as the go along? There again, not about you but a question in general.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Um no, you were the one acting angry and calling me a fool.

Go on with making up your own dialog and NOT realizing that verse might be about you.

So now I have to check with you on what I am feeling?

These conversations has gone from strange to outright funny at times. Hard to be angry at someone when you are laughing.

Even Solomon in all his wisdom told us there was a time to laugh

Ecclesiastes 3:4
A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.