United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From NBC/NJ’s Adam Aigner-Treworgy and Domenico Montanaro

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- Huckabee defended his past stance and written comments calling for a quarantine of those with AIDS, likened homosexuality to "lying" and "stealing" and again lauded the power of prayer in campaigns while speaking to reporters here.

Here’s what he said…
On AIDS: “Fifteen years ago, the AIDS crisis was just that; it was a crisis, and we didn't know exactly all the details of how extensive it was going to be. There were a lot of questions back at that time as to just how the disease could be carried. You may remember the 1991 case of the person who had contracted AIDS from her dentist.

“There was just a real panic in this country, and what I mentioned was that the only time in human history that we had not quarantined people who are a carrier of a disease for which we didn't know where it was going was this time, and if I were making those same comments today I might make them a little differently. But obviously I have to stand by what I said and the fact is that it was unusual for us to do something unlike medical protocols. Medical protocols typically says that if have a disease for which there is no cure, and you are uncertain about the transmission of it that the first thing you do is you quarantine or isolate carriers, and that's historically how we've done that in the public health community.”

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/12/08/505805.aspx

Reactions: TwinCrier
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
His bashing of homosexuality plays to his ignorance. But even if you disagree with him, the issue of why we don't quarantine AIDS patients in a legit question.
Why should we quarantine people with aids? AIDS is contracted through body fluids. I believe that it is legit to question Huck's question.

Upvote 0
B

BlueAfgani

Well, I think it's legit to question your question of Huck's question. Got a problem with that?! AIDS can be spread to babies whose mother's were infected, can be spread by blood transfussion, by unknowingly having sex with the wrong person, by even coming in contact with the blood of an infected person. Certainly people with AIDS have rights, but don't we have the right to be reasonably protected from AIDS pateints who don't know or don't care about their condition?

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Well, I think it's legit to question your question of Huck's question. Got a problem with that?! AIDS can be spread to babies whose mother's were infected, can be spread by blood transfussion, by unknowingly having sex with the wrong person, by even coming in contact with the blood of an infected person. Certainly people with AIDS have rights, but don't we have the right to be reasonably protected from AIDS pateints who don't know or don't care about their condition?
How do you suggest that we quarantine the fetus from it's mother?

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems he has changed his stance on AIDS since then, now that we know so much more. But it is a bit troubling.

The stuff regarding homosexuality is part of the biggest issue I have with him: his religious beliefs influencing policy in a bad way, and his distrust or ignorance of science.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To throw out an interesting note: Communist Cuba qurantines AIDS victims and the very moderate and modern south Korea has a sort of strange program where those with AIDS are not quite qurantined but required to stay at a hospital each night in special facilities.

Many nations have special policies concerning that, and even though I am a conservative I tend to disagree with them and disagree with Huckabee's stance.

I do not think that we should have religion the way Huckabee seems to propose in our government.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AIDS can be spread to babies whose mother's were infected, can be spread by blood transfussion, by unknowingly having sex with the wrong person, by even coming in contact with the blood of an infected person. Certainly people with AIDS have rights, but don't we have the right to be reasonably protected from AIDS pateints who don't know or don't care about their condition?
AIDS can be spread to babies by their mothers, but that can also be largely prevented. If you unknowingly have sex with the wrong person....well, get to know them first and always use protection. Take responsibility for yourself.

If someone doesn't know they have AIDS, how do you suppose we reasonably protect against them by quarantine?

Upvote 0
B

BlueAfgani

If someone doesn't know they have AIDS, how do you suppose we reasonably protect against them by quarantine?

The fact that there are people who don't know they have it is a by-product of the fact that the disease was never quarantined to begin with.

And yes, people should take responsibility for themselves. But there are plenty of ways for HIV to be spread that you can't really defend against. Blood transfusions, rapes, coming in contact with infected blood in an accident. Car accident, work accident, ect, ect.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

The fact that there are people who don't know they have it is a by-product of the fact that the disease was never quarantined to begin with.

And yes, people should take responsibility for themselves. But there are plenty of ways for HIV to be spread that you can't really defend against. Blood transfusions, rapes, coming in contact with infected blood in an accident. Car accident, work accident, ect, ect.
So, if I get into an accident at work, I am susceptible to HIV and should be quarantined?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCguy217

Apr 2, 2005
✟1,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
AIDS can be spread to babies by their mothers, but that can also be largely prevented. If you unknowingly have sex with the wrong person....well, get to know them first and always use protection. Take responsibility for yourself.

or they can just do the smart/right thing and quit sleeping around! Hard to get AIDS or pregnant when a person's legs are closed!

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but don't we have the right to be reasonably protected from AIDS pateints who don't know or don't care about their condition?

Ummmm...don't share needles, have safe sex. Unlike airborne pathogens, its quite easy to not contract AIDS. Quarantining AIDS patients is pointless.

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0