Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,22717344-462,00.html

for a rise in interest rates.

Quite a wonderful man, apologising for something he didn't do. Pity it wasn't for the stolen generation. Whilst it would be untrue to say the government does not have some influence on the interest rates...the Reserve Bank decides the rates based on the economy. The idea of lowering and rising interest rates is to stabilise the economy - if there is too much consumption the rates rise - thus making borrowing less affordable, and cooling the economy. This is done so that there will not be a situation again of the great depression era where unsustainable growth reaches a massive peak followed by a massive depression.

I get sick of Howard trying to make it like it seems he controls the interest rates. It would be true I think to say he has stabilised government impact on the interest rates by getting rid of most of the government debt. Which makes it even more absurd for him to make claims on his influence on the interest rates because it actually means his government by borrowing less...has less impact on it!

I guess that if Labor does go an do lots of borrowing yes that would increase pressure on the interest rates...but as can be seen, there are a lot of forces outside of Howard's control that influence rates. The whole idea of a reserve bank is because of the need to separate direct control of the economy from the government to protect the interests of the people.

It is quite pathetic to continue in this deception through an apology.

That being said, I guess in a Labor government you will see more pressure on rates...but you'll also see "hopefully" more investment into the community by government.

I guess you have to decide on Howard's belief in the economy or you have to believe in a more social democrat point of view of rudd's. The belief that somehow just because the economy grows, it will "trickle" down to the populace is flawed - big business looks after itself and it's stakeholders - and if it looks good, it'll do somethings to improve public image. But those things are only ever done if it is worth it. It is the responsibility of the government to look after the interests of the people. Unfortunately Labor doesn't really hold onto these ideals either...just look at the "me too" policy.

I did only want to point out the interest rate thing...but I guess it turned into a bit of a rant sorry!

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Wow, it seems like poor John Howard just can't win. I would bet my firstborn son that he will get blamed and criticised for this latest interest rate rise, but when he goes and say he is sorry about it, he gets criticised for that too. Talk about people being hard to please.

And as much as I would have liked the interest rates to have not gone up, lets face it, they are still very low, especially compared to the rates we have seen under previous Labour governments.

Blessings to you all
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, it seems like poor John Howard just can't win. I would bet my firstborn son that he will get blamed and criticised for this latest interest rate rise, but when he goes and say he is sorry about it, he gets criticised for that too. Talk about people being hard to please.

And as much as I would have liked the interest rates to have not gone up, lets face it, they are still very low, especially compared to the rates we have seen under previous Labour governments.

Blessings to you all
Steve

Yes this is what I was going to say also.

I don't like the fact they have gone up but I do believe if Labour gets into power they will go up even higher.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If someone you know is grieving over the loss of a loved one you might say to them "I'm sorry", because you feel for any pain they're going through. You don't say "I apologise" because that would be like saying you are responsible. Hardly difficult to understand, just another stupid media beat up.

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22724091-2,00.html

The title of my thread is indeed misleading. So he is sorry, but he hasn't apologised...so what is he saying?

I'm really confused...

They way I see it is that it is a bit the way I feel about the stolen generation. I am sorry for what happened, for anybody that was hurt, but I will not apologise for it because I personally did nothing wrong (especially seeing as it all happened well before I was even thought of).

I think Howard is expressing similar sentiments. He is sorry that interest rates have gone up and for any hardships that this may cause, but has not apologised for it, because, as you pointed it, it was not his decision to lift interest rates.

Blessings to you all
Steve

Upvote 0
M

MOTHY

If someone you know is grieving over the loss of a loved one you might say to them "I'm sorry", because you feel for any pain they're going through. You don't say "I apologise" because that would be like saying you are responsible. Hardly difficult to understand, just another stupid media beat up.
Yes, but Anduril, you know and I know that if there is any admission of guilt or responsibility the insurance people will get on the bandwagon and then everyone will pay. Why can't we say 'I'm sorry for your loss or I'm sorry for your situation' but if we just say sorry, it's assumed somehow that we're legally liable. And while we're on the subject, don't say sorry on my behalf without my permission. I wasn't responsible for the stolen generation and I'm sick of people assuming I should be. That's my problem with the whole 'sorry' mess.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOTHY said:
Yes, but Anduril, you know and I know that if there is any admission of guilt or responsibility the insurance people will get on the bandwagon and then everyone will pay. Why can't we say 'I'm sorry for your loss or I'm sorry for your situation' but if we just say sorry, it's assumed somehow that we're legally liable. And while we're on the subject, don't say sorry on my behalf without my permission. I wasn't responsible for the stolen generation and I'm sick of people assuming I should be. That's my problem with the whole 'sorry' mess.
Agree completely, I would be very offended if anyone apologised on my behalf for the stolen generation. Especially when I don't even believe there was a stolen generation!

Back to interest rates and I think John Howard is partly responsible for the recent rise in interest rates. They have increased because we have such a strong economy. Even though interest rates have increased they are still relatively low and will always be lower under Liberal than under Labor. One figure we all remember is the 17% under Labor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes this is what I was going to say also.

I don't like the fact they have gone up but I do believe if Labour gets into power they will go up even higher.

It doesn't matter WHO winns the election, Howard OR Rudd: the interest rate will have to go up next year and no party can stop it now.
BUT the reason for it is Howard. For the advertising of good economical management, he helped to increase our standard of living to much, our grow should not be more then 2.5%, now is over 3% it looks good for PC, the wonder treasurer, but we will pay the price for it.
Equaly with the great employment, why can companies employ more people? No they haven't got a bigger budget for their workforce - but thanks to Howards "industrial reform" what we save on penalty rates and so on we employ one more.
BTW back to the interest rates: the highest ever Australien interest rates were under treasurer Howard: 22%
Wake up Australia, please!

Upvote 0

norak

Jun 29, 2007
✟15,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Recent events show that the Howard government has little influence on interest rates. The high interest rates under Labor before were also due to international influences beyond the control of the Labor governments.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Blessings to you all
Steve

Recent events show that the Howard government has little influence on interest rates. The high interest rates under Labor before were also due to international influences beyond the control of the Labor governments.

I have to agree with Norak here. The interest rates during Labour's Goverment had a lot more to do with world market trends and building a solid Australian economy, than it did with their decisions and movement.

Howard may not be directly responsible for the interest rates...but we can lay some of the blame on the Liberal Government's choices for our current inflation levels (3% I think) which are a big part of what forces the Reserve Bank's hand in raising interest rates.

To claim any government is soley responsible for an interest rate rise is incorrect, but to say the Government has nothing to do with interest rates is simply ignorant.

Upvote 0