• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How you imagine God to be

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Question: Does how you imagine God cause your anxiety to worsen?

There’s a long list of the walking wounded here on Christian Forums, posters who are trapped in an awful state of fear about blasphemy, backsliding and many other psychological maladies. But how much of those fears are a byproduct of our views about God being unloving, partial, wrathful, judicial and desirous of justice over mercy?

How much of your anxiety is due to your theology?

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There’s a long list of the walking wounded here on Christian Forums, posters who are trapped in an awful state of fear about blasphemy, backsliding and many other psychological maladies. But how much of those fears are a byproduct of our views about God being unloving, partial, wrathful, judicial and desirous of justice over mercy?

The theology and religion of Pharisaic 'christians' causes me anxiety, especially when the religion they preach tries to fit in with the theology their promoting.

Christ's yoke is easy John 14:27, but the yoke of the world is heavy. Luke 17:2/Matthew 18:6

Preachers who are called to preach and true Christians will both try to edify and correct. They'll use the carrot and the stick method correctly until a believer is mature in their faith. They'll never dangle the carrot to comfort you with words of hope when they know your faith is dead. They'll also never try to correct you with their stick just to put you down when you step out of line with their theology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Anxiety and religious scrupulosity are often co-related.
From the boy who never stops washing his hands, to the woman told to stop thinking about pink elephants, nearly all of us are obsessive-compulsive to some degree, even if we do not recognise it or meet the criteria for an official diagnosis.
Anxiety affects us all. Whether we are a head of state, a company executive, administrator or janitor, we have plenty of things to worry about: our lives, our health, our families, our finances and our future. Perhaps even our afterlife and the state of our soul.
The remedy for fear is always faith, hope and love. Relinquishing control and letting God be God.
Whatever our circumstances, however difficult our predicament, we can confidently place our hope and trust in the One who loves us so dearly and intimately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

When I was an evangelical of differing stripes that causes a lot of anxiety because you always had to tell others, read your Bible, and more. When I left that system I lost most of my anxiety though it was not instant.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was an evangelical of differing stripes that causes a lot of anxiety because you always had to tell others, read your Bible, and more. When I left that system I lost most of my anxiety though it was not instant.
Yes. I have experienced that, too. Every conversation *had* to be a Gospel-sharing experience, or you were doing something wrong. It made going outside of the house kind of difficult and awkward.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Even when my faith was more conventional, I’d wonder why on Earth the great commission was being taught as a blanket command binding upon every single Christian. I’d think this for reasons both scriptural and practical.

For example, on the practical front, why teach we’re each blessed with different gifts yet shoehorn everyone into the same vocation. A vocation which on many an occasion didn’t suit the person trying to be an evangelist.

The Kingdom of God wasn’t advancing when certain people in our evangelism group stumbled through an awkward (even angry) job of witnessing, it was positively in retreat. Hearts were hardened right before my eyes, though so long as everyone felt the weight of having to go out and win souls the community was satisfied. The toll on a young believers mental state (to be alienation from friends and family by their unskilled evangelistic efforts) is often heavy.

I can see looking back that although I love the social side of meeting strangers and the unpredictability of evangelising, it’s an awful burden put upon some Christians. God wants many of his children to live simple, peaceable lives, playing on their goodwill in an attempt to lure them out of that life into an alien vocation can have devastating consequences on their health and well-being, even harming their relationship with God.

In short it’s like hating their liberty not to go out soul winning, it’s like trying to put them under some kind of bondage.

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
The person (known to me) that is most involved in Christian works is also the most anxious person I know. A retired sister, she puts her time, energy and possessions up for grabs on a 24/7 basis. In the past she had left the church to walk on the wild side for several years before returning to a faith-based life. But she denies that she is trying to work her way into Heaven yet her constant anxiety and a lack of peace seemingly betray a lack of self awareness as concerns this matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I just finished Julian of Norwich and it dispelled the last few vestiges of self-loathing that remained from my "Sunday school" faith. She saw no anger in God, but only love and pity for our condition. For whatever reason reading it put the final nail in the conception of God as vengeful and out to punish, instead of heal. I have been there for a long time, but at this point I am going much deeper in (contemplative) prayer than ever before. It brings so much to the surface and I think it was God's way of saying to me, "Don't give up. This is part of the process. I got you."

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just finished Julian of Norwich and it dispelled the last few vestiges of self-loathing that remained from my "Sunday school" faith. She saw no anger in God, but only love and pity for our condition. For whatever reason reading it put the final nail in the conception of God as vengeful and out to punish, instead of heal. I have been there for a long time, but at this point I am going much deeper in (contemplative) prayer than ever before. It brings so much to the surface and I think it was God's way of saying to me, "Don't give up. This is part of the process. I got you."
Beautiful. Getting into the Divine Mercy revelations has done the same for me. I’m calmer now. Less anxious. I would like to read some Julian of Norwich, too.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Beautiful. Getting into the Divine Mercy revelations has done the same for me. I’m calmer now. Less anxious. I would like to read some Julian of Norwich, too.
Julian of Norwich's writings are amazing. I have Revelations of Divine Love on my bookshelf which I always find myself dipping into!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟131,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The following passage comes to my mind:
Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
His goodness keeps me away from feelings of anxiety towards him when I fail, as I can always turn back to him.

Matthew 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Matthew 10:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. Part of the Lord's Prayer

Upvote 0

Orchardllc

Supporter
Mar 18, 2019
Kentucky
✟49,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have been on anxiety medication for over ten years. How I have viewed God has definitely had an affect on my level of anxiety. But, having a mature relationship with God has not removed my anxiety. It has made it easier to endure, but anxiety is part of my life.

I don't worry that God will fail me. I don't worry about where I am going when I die. But, my brain is hard wired to worry. I worry about how God will answer prayers not that He won't answer them. I am convinced that God's will is the best for every aspect of my life. Does this remove my anxiety? No. Unfortunately, I still worry about eventually getting sick and dying. I worry about how my finances will be met. I know God will provide in every circumstance. But God doesn't give us the details on how his perfect will is to be accomplished.

I am simply trying to say that my certain faith in God has not removed my need for anxiety medication. I endured extensive, early childhood abuse that lasted up to my teen years. My brain chemistry is just hard wired for stress. God does and can heal. But I am a result of my years of living also. And God has chosen not to heal my anxiety so as not to fundamentally change who I am.

God loves me, I trust him fully. I worry about the details.
Wishing you all peace and blessings! I just wanted to share my experiences with God and anxiety.

Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God bless @Orchardllc. You’re not alone being hard wired for stress, especially considering what we have to go through sometimes. Your message was well written. I appreciated the point about God not wanting to fundamentally change who you are, that seemed very believable to me. I’m sure others will read that post and seek medical help without feeling shamed for their needs, these conversations stay up long after we’ve forgotten about them. The Lord works through hospitals, talk therapists and innovators of medicine everyday.

Upvote 0