How would you explain to a life-long atheist what it's like to have a relationship with God?

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟291,759.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder if they have read the whole Bible, in order to dismiss what is said in the Bible one really should have read it perhaps.
i dont think anyone can convince another of who God is, but God Himself, especially if they are anti God.
I would probably say God means a great deal to me, that He freed me from some things I thought would never be gone and I am grateful. beyond that I'm not intellectual enough to argue for God.

Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Suppose that person X is a life-long agnostic/atheist who is skeptical of anything that is claimed to be supernatural/non-physical.

How would you explain to person X what it's like to have a personal relationship with God?

Here are a few more specific questions:
  • When does the relationship begin?
  • How do you know that the relationship has begun? Is there some specific event that makes the beginning of the relationship obvious?
  • Is this relationship a two-way interaction? Does God speak to you in supernatural ways, for example?
  • Does this "relationship with God" involve having supernatural experiences with God on a frequent basis?
  • How do you know that this "relationship" is real and not just your brain playing tricks on you? How do you know that a real God is genuinely having a personal relationship with you?
How would you answer these questions to person X, a life-long agnostic/atheist?

Some life-long atheists may be converted through reason or Christian apologetics certainly.. and I would say this comes by being led of the Spirit to speak what comes to us at the appointed time (Matthew 10:18-20).

Others however may require a sign (or miracle) in order to be convinced, and this is where our lifestyle (how we live) will be much more convincing than any number (or combination) of words we would say.

'18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.'

(1 John 3:18)

Still others will not be convinced no matter what you try to do to convince them, and this is not your responsibility necessarily but it's because their heart is not ready to receive the Gospel.

Sometimes, we should not be so quick to cast our pearls.. (Matthew 7:6).

I don't believe there is a 'cookie-cutter' method per se to evangelism, it all depends on what sort of ground we are sowing our seed.

Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Suppose that person X is a life-long agnostic/atheist who is skeptical of anything that is claimed to be supernatural/non-physical.

How would you explain to person X what it's like to have a personal relationship with God?

Here are a few more specific questions:
  • When does the relationship begin?
  • How do you know that the relationship has begun? Is there some specific event that makes the beginning of the relationship obvious?
  • Is this relationship a two-way interaction? Does God speak to you in supernatural ways, for example?
  • Does this "relationship with God" involve having supernatural experiences with God on a frequent basis?
  • How do you know that this "relationship" is real and not just your brain playing tricks on you? How do you know that a real God is genuinely having a personal relationship with you?
How would you answer these questions to person X, a life-long agnostic/atheist?

1. It begins when you admit you're a sinner and are in need of a Savior.

2. When you truly make the decision to follow Jesus the Holy Spirit comes into your life. That is the promise given to us of God. But you have to get real with God and confess your sins and ask Jesus into your heart.

The Holy Spirit Promised
"And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me;" Acts 1:4

"And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" Acts 2

3. Yes all God ever wanted is to have a personal relationship with man. Yes a relationship is a two way interaction. He hears you when you pray and lets you know He hears you through the Holy Spirit. The spirit fills the empty place that you have been trying to fill with other things. It fills you and strengthens your heart so you don't have to look anywhere else for anything to satisfy you, and it happens when you think there is nothing that can be done about your situation and lets you know God is there. His plan is always better than yours.

4. Yes being filled with the spirit is frequent and that is how you walk with God. One step at a time.

5. You know its real because its something you could never do on your own or could ever imagine. (I mean being filled with the spirit). When your filled with the spirit you know it is not coming from you and its so great that its something you could have never imagined on your own.
It is a presence with God. God makes His home in the location where your heart is located, it fills that area of you that used to be empty. When its empty, man searches for something to fill it, There is a yearning for something and the devil lies to you by saying "well if God made it then that's what you need to fill your life." (talking about physical objects, lusts, drugs etc.).

You live a new way because God makes it known to you.

"having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace," Ephesians 2:15

You don't walk as the rest of the world walks anymore, after lusts and temporary pleasures, because God gives you his kingdom freely, when you recognize you need him and ask him to lead you. That's all He ever wanted for you, for you to be where He is. And its free! ------- But it cost Jesus' life.

That is why it's so crucial for you to be saved, otherwise you will live and die in your sins apart from God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0