How would you deal with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you deal with your mother, if she believed you were being deceived.

This is my case:

My mother is Catholic, I was confirmed and so was my wife. I recently began to worship with a small group of Christians who believe that the only way to salvation is by believing in the Life, Death and Resurrection of the only begotten Son of God, Jesus Christ.

I believe that I am a sinner, and I need the sacrifice of the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world, Jesus Christ. I beleive.

My mother says that the group is too small, does not have their own building yet and therefore is likely a cult.

I would like to open a dialogue with the mature Christians on this Forum about whether I am deceived or not. I will tell you whatever you want to know about this small group and what I am learning about Jesus.

I need to know if I am being deceived. I am positively sure that I am not, but that's the thing about deception, you do not know that you are being mislead.

Thanks

Day

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
I recently began to worship with a small group of Christians who believe that the only way to salvation is by believing in the Life, Death and Resurrection of the only begotten Son of God, Jesus Christ.
Sounds legit to me Day.

If this group is being taught and learning from the Holy Bible then it sounds OK to me.

Let us know if there are any activities going on in this group which you may have concerns, you know anything that seems odd.

I will pray that you find this new group spirit filled and serves our savior Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>How would you deal with your mother

Ask her if she believes in the Holy Catholic Church. I have the same problem with my dad. He is 84 years old and does not know anything at all about the Bible. He should have been teaching it to me all of my life, but here I am, having to teach it to him.

According to the Catholic CATECHESIS:

"777 The word "Church" means "convocation." It designates the assembly of those whom God's Word "convokes," i.e., gathers together to form the People of God, and who themselves, nourished with the Body of Christ, become the Body of Christ."

Convoke: To cause to assemble in a meeting; convene. See Synonyms at call.

Catholic means universal church, and church means those who God calls to assemble together.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>I need to know if I am being deceived.

The only way to know that for sure is to have the Holy Spirit of truth and grace. He guides us and leads us into all righteousness.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

"even as He is righteous" We are to be JUST as righteous as Jesus was. This is what John teaches, in his epistles. So anyone that teaches anything any different is deceived.

Deception in the final hour is very much tied in with sin. If the church you attend does not teach that we have to live righteous before God, then they are deceived.

Galatians 5:19-26
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, [20] idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, [21] envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. [22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. [24] And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. [25] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. [26] Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
You think you have it bad with your dad, my dad said you cant trust Christians because they will steal from you.
I told him to wait a minute, that I am Christian and never taken anything from anyone. He just responded that it is just because I haven't had a chance.

Originally posted by JohnR7
>>How would you deal with your mother

Ask her if she believes in the Holy Catholic Church. I have the same problem with my dad. He is 84 years old and does not know anything at all about the Bible. He should have been teaching it to me all of my life, but here I am, having to teach it to him.

According to the Catholic CATECHESIS:

"777 The word "Church" means "convocation." It designates the assembly of those whom God's Word "convokes," i.e., gathers together to form the People of God, and who themselves, nourished with the Body of Christ, become the Body of Christ."

Convoke: To cause to assemble in a meeting; convene. See Synonyms at call.

Catholic means universal church, and church means those who God calls to assemble together.

Upvote 0

e4God

Visiting WebHead
Mar 11, 2002
Citizen of The Heavens
Visit site
✟8,085.00
Faith
Christian
Can you share with your mother the bible verses that have meaning for you?

The Holy Spirit can do the rest !

If she won't come off the condemnation long enough to investigate your verses, then maybe you could ask her to show you the bible verses that support the teachings of the Catholic church about not fellowshipping with other believers :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by e4God
Can you share with your mother the bible verses that have meaning for you?

The Holy Spirit can do the rest !

If she won't come off the condemnation long enough to investigate your verses, then maybe you could ask her to show you the bible verses that support the teachings of the Catholic church about not fellowshipping with other believers :)

e

I did this and even offered to come sit down with her and a priest, and if they could convince me scripturally that I was doing the wrong thing, then I would repent.

She only kept repeating, "You're so closed minded and You're not listening to me!" over and over again.

Upvote 0

e4God

Visiting WebHead
Mar 11, 2002
Citizen of The Heavens
Visit site
✟8,085.00
Faith
Christian
Whose mind was closed?

It is time to love the Lord more than you love Family. Jesus spoke of this.

If God's word itself says you should follow your own heart, as led by the Holy Spirit, instead of your mother's teaching, then who can argue?

Jesus was once teaching such heady stuff that the people listening thought he had gone mad.... they sent for his family to come and get him.

Mark 3:31-35 NAS

31 Then His mother and His brothers *arrived, and standing outside they sent {word} to Him and called Him. 32 A crowd was sitting around Him, and they *said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You." 33 Answering them, He *said, "Who are My mother and My brothers?" 34 Looking about at those who were sitting around Him, He *said, "Behold My mother and My brothers! 35 "For whoever does the will of God, he is My brother and sister and mother."

You have a new family that Does understand!

Best to pray for your mother... and Follow your Lord!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.