How would you balkanize the United States?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's just pretend that it's already decided that the U.S. needs to split apart, as a people we're so ideologically split that our differences are irreconcilable and forming different nations is our only solution.

How would you draw up the new map? The number of countries is only limited by the space the existing US would allow. Would you split it in two down the middle and say liberals get one coast and conservatives get the other? Would you break it up regionally and say conservatives get the deep south and the midwest, liberals get the west coast and the northeast? Would you say liberals get one region, communists get another region, conservative protestants get yet another, and we'll carve out our own little Catholic republic somewhere?

There could be a lot of options, if you were appointed the cartographer to divide up the territory amongst warring factions, like the UN did with Israel and the UK did with Pakistan in the 20th century, what do you think would be best for the country and specifically for our interests?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The changes that would need to happen in order to make that type of arrangement sustainable involve measures that 99% of people want nothing to do with.

But if it MUST happen as a thing of mutual consent from all parties involved, I'd suggest doing it along religious lines. Specifically, a place for Christians to be Christians. The other side can do whatever they want.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's just pretend that it's already decided that the U.S. needs to split apart, as a people we're so ideologically split that our differences are irreconcilable and forming different nations is our only solution.

How would you draw up the new map? The number of countries is only limited by the space the existing US would allow. Would you split it in two down the middle and say liberals get one coast and conservatives get the other? Would you break it up regionally and say conservatives get the deep south and the midwest, liberals get the west coast and the northeast? Would you say liberals get one region, communists get another region, conservative protestants get yet another, and we'll carve out our own little Catholic republic somewhere?

There could be a lot of options, if you were appointed the cartographer to divide up the territory amongst warring factions, like the UN did with Israel and the UK did with Pakistan in the 20th century, what do you think would be best for the country and specifically for our interests?

We just need to get back to the declaration of independence ... and actually live it ... and things would be much much better.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--

• Agree
Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see this really happening anytime soon. Way too much blood to be spilled first. However divorces happen all the time for no more reasons than this. If people cannot live together without fighting, sometimes the only way to have peace is to separate. No contact-no strife-no struggle.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People have hypothesized this since American culture is so fragmented based on where you live. As sad as it would be for America to dissolve, I’d be ok with a peaceful balkanization. Hopefully we could set up something like a Schengen common area post-pandemic, where you can freely travel between the boundaries. We could even keep the states the same, we’d just have different national governments.

I think it would have to be done alongside voting blocs and demographics. The south would be an easy split, as would the eastern seaboard (they could keep DC as the capitol or move it to New York or elsewhere, as they have enough infrastructure to be choosy). The west coast would gladly merge itself into one country, although I know some people in northern California would be upset. Not sure about other parts of the country, however, as they are somewhat politically mixed. Maybe the Great Plains states could all merge together, but I understand those places still have some traditionally Democrat people. The Midwest would be even harder to merge, what with all of the swing states plus Chicago.

Hawaii would probably be glad to be independent, or perhaps a part of the Pacific country. Alaska might not have much choice other than to join Canada.

Florida is an interesting case because I’ve seen hypothetical cultural regions showing the northern half of Florida as similar to the South, whereas Florida becomes unique once you get past a certain point. So that state may have to split, but ideally it would be the only one. If politicians have their way, then maybe they’d try and keep all of the east coast as one state, but some people would object.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Starting at the left coast, Washington joins Canada. Oregon and Northern California join Utah and Nevada and Montana and Idaho and Arizona and New Mexico to be called Montana. Southern California becomes it's own country called California. Colorado does it's own thing. Texas and Oklahoma and Kansas and Nebraska and the Dakotas become The Plains. Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa and the UP of Michigan become The North. Illinois and everything North and East of that becomes the Country of Rust. But Maine could join Canada if they want. And we let the South figure it out on their own.

I don't think for a minute this could actually work. We aren't all that geographically divided. We are more divided neighbor from neighbor. It will all end up looking like Beruit and not the Balkans.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there were to be a Balkanization of the county it would almost certainly need to be accompanied by massive relocations like that which occurred when the British Raj of India partitioned into India, Pakistan and Bengladesh.

Exactly. It would be ugly.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have these problems in Australia?

Not to the same extent, although we are moving in that direction.

1. Australia is much more urbanised than the US.

2. Differences between Australian states are minor compared to differences between US states.

3. Our political system means that both major parties are closer to the centre.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know I could have chosen to live in England, Australia or the US, ehhh possibly Canada. The US as a county really did do right by me by I am wondering would it have been less headache to live in one of those 3 other places?

I think you have carved a place for yourself in the US. For fiercely independent people, the US is probably a better place to be.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can't it be a kingdom?
The only kingdom I would want to be in is the one where Christ is king. Maybe King Louis IX. Nah, not even him. But I'm not sure anyone else even comes close. Which historic king (or queen) would you propose?

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To tell you the truth I am only fiercely independent because I needed to be. It was sink or swim soar or crash. It is utterly exasperating some times.
EVERYBODY should have that attitude. There's too much pushing around got away with, everywhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The changes that would need to happen in order to make that type of arrangement sustainable involve measures that 99% of people want nothing to do with.

But if it MUST happen as a thing of mutual consent from all parties involved, I'd suggest doing it along religious lines. Specifically, a place for Christians to be Christians. The other side can do whatever they want.

Agreed. Personally I think it's an inevitability and a necessity, I think we crossed a threshold in 2018 when parts of this country elected the likes of Ocasio-Cortez, Tlaib, and Omar to Congress. There's just no going back for either side, those Congresswomen and the people they represent (not just their districts but all Marxists nationwide) are intent on entirely changing the character and makeup of the United States and completely deleting what it is, what it was and what the records say it has been.

With that in mind, this only ends in one of two ways: peaceful balkanization, or a second civil war in which one side is almost entirely annihilated or the treaty to end the war also results in balkanization. Why would I think that? Because in the past six weeks the militant wing of the Democrats set fire, destroyed, looted, assaulted, and murdered with impunity in major cities across the U.S. If Americans ever put their foot down against this Marxist incursion it will erupt into an actual battle.

I would divide it up into nice people and mean people. I'd be perfectly happy with segregation if I could just live around nice people.

Disneyland. We can just proclaim Disneyland a sovereign state.

We just need to get back to the declaration of independence ... and actually live it ... and things would be much much better.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--

I read an incredibly interesting, albeit rather long, article yesterday about how the 17th Amendment completed the unraveling of our nation from the republic the founders and framers intended into be, and devolved it into the democracy we have today.

I highly recommend reading it because I think it connects to your sentiment in a way. The way we operate today lends itself entirely too much to a form of government that was never intended by the founders.

I don't see this really happening anytime soon. Way too much blood to be spilled first. However divorces happen all the time for no more reasons than this. If people cannot live together without fighting, sometimes the only way to have peace is to separate. No contact-no strife-no struggle.

Well, we've already seen quite a bit of bloodshed since May 25th, and it doesn't necessarily showing any signs of letting up - especially because conservatives have been content to sit on their laurels and fiddle while major cities burn. If and when we get the stones to respond, then we'll likely have an all-out war. That's what the Marxists (read: Antifa, BLM, and their supporters in Congress AOC, Tlaib, Omar, Pelosi, Schumer, Pressly, etc) want. They've been goading us with violence for years, and now openly and frequently for the past six weeks.

People have hypothesized this since American culture is so fragmented based on where you live. As sad as it would be for America to dissolve, I’d be ok with a peaceful balkanization. Hopefully we could set up something like a Schengen common area post-pandemic, where you can freely travel between the boundaries. We could even keep the states the same, we’d just have different national governments.

I think it would have to be done alongside voting blocs and demographics. The south would be an easy split, as would the eastern seaboard (they could keep DC as the capitol or move it to New York or elsewhere, as they have enough infrastructure to be choosy). The west coast would gladly merge itself into one country, although I know some people in northern California would be upset. Not sure about other parts of the country, however, as they are somewhat politically mixed. Maybe the Great Plains states could all merge together, but I understand those places still have some traditionally Democrat people. The Midwest would be even harder to merge, what with all of the swing states plus Chicago.

Hawaii would probably be glad to be independent, or perhaps a part of the Pacific country. Alaska might not have much choice other than to join Canada.

Florida is an interesting case because I’ve seen hypothetical cultural regions showing the northern half of Florida as similar to the South, whereas Florida becomes unique once you get past a certain point. So that state may have to split, but ideally it would be the only one. If politicians have their way, then maybe they’d try and keep all of the east coast as one state, but some people would object.

I agree with you, if we balkanize it will definitely be conservatives on one side and liberals on the other. That's the biggest divide in this country and we have entirely opposite ideas of how to run a country, and our morals couldn't be further apart. If we're going to have a res publica, then we have to have a common morality rooted in a common faith.

Starting at the left coast, Washington joins Canada. Oregon and Northern California join Utah and Nevada and Montana and Idaho and Arizona and New Mexico to be called Montana. Southern California becomes it's own country called California. Colorado does it's own thing. Texas and Oklahoma and Kansas and Nebraska and the Dakotas become The Plains. Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa and the UP of Michigan become The North. Illinois and everything North and East of that becomes the Country of Rust. But Maine could join Canada if they want. And we let the South figure it out on their own.

I don't think for a minute this could actually work. We aren't all that geographically divided. We are more divided neighbor from neighbor. It will all end up looking like Beruit and not the Balkans.

Since I live on a red island in a deep blue sea of California, I imagine I would have to move anyway if we did divide the nation of ideologically.

The idea that the true fissures in American society is regional is a hold back from the civil war era and perpetuated by the romanitization of England plurbis unium. The real divide is between urban and rural. Let's put it this way the culture and political leaning of Austin TX is very different from that of unincorporated Williamson County Right next door. Therefore fracturing the country by region (north, south, pacific coast, gulf Coast, etc) would not really solve many if any of the cultural issues in the untied country today. By calling a state a red state or a blue state to determine which "side" it belongs on is a gross oversimplification. Interestingly though the red versus blue moniker does serve as a good indicator of how much of the state's population live in urban centers versus rural areas. If there were to be a Balkanization of the county it would almost certainly need to be accompanied by massive relocations like that which occurred when the British Raj of India partitioned into India, Pakistan and Bengladesh.

Obviously, what we would be doing is dividing the country ideologically/religiously, but then essentially assigning those groups to the regions in which they historically represented those groups. So religious conservatives migrate to the new nation made from the American south, secular liberals migrate to the new nation made from the west coast, etc.

Can't it be a kingdom?

I'm all for it. Plato and Aristotle said the three valid forms of regime are monarchy, aristocracy, and the polis (republic). The corrupted inverse of each of those being tyranny, oligarchy, and (you guessed it) democracy. Something which I think our founders were keenly aware of.

Fun fact: our government actually represents all three virtuous forms vested in the three branches. Monarchy (the rule of one, the executive branch), Arisocracy (the rule of few, the judicial branch), and Polis (the rule of many, the legislative branch).

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
With respect...

Obviously, what we would be doing is dividing the country ideologically/religiously, but then essentially assigning those groups to the regions in which they historically represented those groups. So religious conservatives migrate to the new nation made from the American south, secular liberals migrate to the new nation made from the west coast, etc.
I found all of your post, frankly, intriguing as well as frightening. There is a lot I could say about virtually every point you raised.

The part above stood out to me tho. Call me a cynic (or worse). But I suspect that while this intuitive approach to hypothetical balkanization may seem reasonable at first glance, I think we would discover in short order how inadequate it truly is. It would paper over some issues in the short term. But I suspect that the divisions would return with a vengeance.

Mind you, elements of the progressive side are calling for outright racial segregation. So, obviously, worse options do exist.

Over and above all that stuff, I'm not surprised that this is all happening in my country but I am saddened by it. But, I remind myself that we were warned.

pope-john-paul-ii-the-coming-tribulation-cannot-be-averted01.png

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The enemies of the United States have been working to destroy us from within since at least the '60's if not longer and sadly they have succeeded in dividing us to this point. When I was in middle school in the late '60's you had the peace love and hippie generation and "don't trust anyone over 30" crowd, and the radical left,(Weathermen, etc) but "The Establishment." which was my parents and grandparents generation were still quite conservative socially even though all 4 of my grandparents were staunch Democrats. And so those in power rejected such things. Sadly today they do not.
This is to say all four of my grandparents would have been horrified at things like abortion on demand, the whole LGBTQ movement, abolish the police, and so on and so forth. In fact my maternal grandparents were devout evangelicals.
But today, this stuff is mainstream in the Democratic party sorry to say. Of course Republicans have their issues too.
All I can say is, as someone who has been a fan of dystopian sci-fi, remember that show on NBC called "Revolution?"
A great apocalypse happened and the US got balkanized into: The upper New England States, the Deep South East, The Republic of Texas(which included Oklahoma) the Midwest, and California(which was all of the West Coast.) I'm not advocating such but it seems these sci-fi shows always seem to predict such. They have wanted to divide and conquer, and on to the One World Government.

Upvote 0