Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that when people are in heaven they cease to be the person they were on earth. One aspect of this is how will my wife be happy in heaven knowing that I will be in hell?

This option seems the most likely:

She will be made perfect like God as promised in the Bible and she will agree with God that I deserve to be eternally tortured. If so, she will cease to be the person I know.

There are other options but either way God will have to fundamentally change her in a way that will be unrecognizable to me. How does this work?

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope I can give my opinion here because it is classified as "Controversial Chrisitianity" on this forum, so I might not be able to defend it at length here, but I believe based on scriptures that you will also be reconciled to God and saved (doctrine of universal salvation).

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
She, like the rest of us will be happy enough. Discomfort will be removed from her. Her sinful nature will have already been removed. The particular details of how God does this are not provided in Scripture.

Attempting to imagine relatives who have gone to Heaven is difficult, because they will be better versions of themselves. I'm sure we'll all recognize each other despite the changes.

But, "knowing that you will be in Hell" - why resign yourself to that? Why not take God's amnesty plan through Jesus Christ, become his disciple, and go to Heaven?

Reactions: Basketball
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She, like the rest of us will be happy enough. Discomfort will be removed from her. Her sinful nature will have already been removed. The particular details of how God does this are not provided in Scripture.
Like I said. God will have to change her in some way that will not be her in heaven.

Attempting to imagine relatives who have gone to Heaven is difficult, because they will be better versions of themselves. I'm sure we'll all recognize each other despite the changes.

But, "knowing that you will be in Hell" - why resign yourself to that? Why not take God's amnesty plan through Jesus Christ, become his disciple, and go to Heaven?
Show me any reason to believe this is true.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope I can give my opinion here because it is classified as "Controversial Chrisitianity" on this forum, so I might not be able to defend it at length here, but I believe based on scriptures that you will also be reconciled to God and saved (doctrine of universal salvation).
Well that is another option. But then I won't be me either.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that when people are in heaven they cease to be the person they were on earth. One aspect of this is how will my wife be happy in heaven knowing that I will be in hell?

She will be made perfect like God as promised in the Bible and she will agree with God that I deserve to be eternally tortured. If so, she will cease to be the person I know.

There are other options but either way God will have to fundamentally change her in a way that will be unrecognizable to me. How does this work?

Is there some bible verses you're referring too? I don't think there's any joy or satisfaction in knowing others going to hell. In perspective, one only sends themselves to hell. God has done everything possible and will continue to try to keep you and me from going there.

The spirit world is different. We don't know how we will be exactly. Jesus said "like angels" [Mat 22:30] I don't think knowledge will decrease, but some buffer will be there, of understanding that supersedes. [1Co 13:12, 1Co 15:42-44]

I think it's exactly opposite to what your saying. In hell you will cease to be the person you are now.

(Meanwhile Papa Emeritus III, unless he get's saved, will be there, and you can hang out with him eternally. Even Ozzy said, "hell is full of fools"....but really, I hope not.)

God grant you knowledge of his truth that's sets you free [Jhn 8:32] from hell and what we all deserve. [Rom 3:23-26] God bless you.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is there some bible verses you're referring too? I don't think there's any joy or satisfaction in knowing others going to hell.
God's justice is not satisfied?

In perspective, one only sends themselves to hell. God has done everything possible and will continue to try to keep you and me from going there.
This is ridiculous. I don't want to go to hell, why would I send myself there? The fact is I don't have control of that do I. God does. God made the universe, he made hell, he made the rules to go or not go to hell and does not provide evidence of his existence to all. I am not responsible if I go to hell.

The spirit world is different. We don't know how we will be exactly. Jesus said "like angels" [Mat 22:30] I don't think knowledge will decrease, but some buffer will be there, of understanding that supersedes. [1Co 13:12, 1Co 15:42-44]

I think it's exactly opposite to what your saying. In hell you will cease to be the person you are now.
Ok, but this is about my wife not me.

(Meanwhile Papa Emeritus III, unless he get's saved, will be there, and you can hang out with him eternally. Even Ozzy said, "hell is full of fools"....but really, I hope not.)
Yes, because it is not based on what you do but what you believe. So women will be in heaven with their rapist.

God grant you knowledge of his truth that's sets you free [Jhn 8:32] from hell and what we all deserve. [Rom 3:23-26] God bless you.
No one deserves hell. You don't and I don't. What can a person possibly do to deserve eternal punishment? Maybe murder or molestation or something but nothing I have done. The only difference between a rapist that goes to heaven and one that goes to hell is a belief and worship of a God that demands it. One that does not provide sufficient evidence I might add. How is any of this justice?

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
In perspective, one only sends themselves to hell.

I continue to find this assertion strange? If you die, and are to find that a completely different God was the real-deal - (one for which you doubted it's existence). And this real God tells you, 'welp, you had your chance to worship me, but you obviously chose not to, and therefore, are sending yourself to hell.' How long would you be scratching your head?

God has done everything possible and will continue to try to keep you and me from going there.

I prayed to receive evidence of His mere existence for decades. I feel I have not received this contact? Has He truly done everything possible, as you suggest?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul4JC

Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is ridiculous. I don't want to go to hell, why would I send myself there? The fact is I don't have control of that do I. God does. God made the universe, he made hell, he made the rules to go or not go to hell and does not provide evidence of his existence to all. I am not responsible if I go to hell.
That's what I say, why would you want to go to hell? You do have control bro. There's plenty of Atheists who are now believers in Christ. They will give you plenty of evidence, if you're willing to examine. Josh McDowell is a former Atheist with alot of helpful resources.

Ok, but this is about my wife not me.
Yes, I said no joy in heaven about people in hell. I'd think she'll always love you.

Yes, because it is not based on what you do but what you believe. So women will be in heaven with their rapist.
If a rapist thinks he got a "get out of jail" ticket, he may still end up in hell. No one "gets over" on God. What's genuine faith God knows and will judge accordingly. Apostle Paul was a murderer. So you want to write the book of judgement?

No one deserves hell. You don't and I don't. What can a person possibly do to deserve eternal punishment? Maybe murder or molestation or something but nothing I have done. The only difference between a rapist that goes to heaven and one that goes to hell is a belief and worship of a God that demands it. One that does not provide sufficient evidence I might add. How is any of this justice?
I know I deserved to go to hell. If you looking at God as you'd look another man, then sure I agree with you. But God is not a man [Num 23:19] or to understood as you understand people. He loves us. Yes he doesn't wink at sin, or sweep it under the rug. He paid heavily for sin, for us. He doesn't want us in hell. [2Co 5:19-21]

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I continue to find this assertion strange?
In human terms it is, I agree. Gods terms are not human. I've been on the fast track to hell, then Christ saved me.

I prayed to receive evidence of His mere existence for decades. I feel I have not received this contact? Has He truly done everything possible, as you suggest?
Have you read the Gospels or sayings of Christ? He said in a story about a guy in hell, 'they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ” Luk 16:28-30. I didn't believe until I read Christ's words firsthand, then I believed him, about 36 years ago.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you are onto something. That our mind will be far different in heaven that we do not sweat that there are missing loved ones, or think about their fate. Things probably are just so good, that either memories are gone, or the one is heaven no longer is attached enough to give it much thought. Either way, you are a changed person there. What is unasked in this thread is if it would be possible for a human to rebel in heaven similar to what Satan did? I honestly hope not, but then if the possibility never exists, then there is no free will in heaven?

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
In human terms it is, I agree. Gods terms are not human. I've been on the fast track to hell, then Christ saved me.

This looks to be an unfalsifiable assertion. I cannot do anything with unfalsifiable claims. Thanks though...

Have you read the Gospels or sayings of Christ? He said in a story about a guy in hell, 'they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ” Luk 16:28-30. I didn't believe until I read Christ's words firsthand, then I believed him, about 36 years ago.

God claims He will reveal to all in a way they will no longer doubt. The Bible also claims He reveals to some, whom were not even searching. 'Sal of Tarsus' comes to mind.

Looks as though God chooses when He will reveal Himself to any and all, to where the human cannot and will not doubt.

Looks like God chose to skip me over, for now anyways :(

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God claims He will reveal to all in a way they will no longer doubt. The Bible also claims He reveals to some, whom were not even searching. 'Sal of Tarsus' comes to mind.

Looks as though God chooses when He will reveal Himself to any and all, to where the human cannot and will not doubt.

Looks like God chose to skip me over, for now anyways :(
We cannot walk in each others shoes, as we are all unique. We are all the same in God's eyes. None of us, especially me, merit salvation. Any form of Christian elitism is not of God. We often miss-represent him.

Sal of Tarsus, who became the Apostle Paul, suffered and paid greatly for his faith. It was no free ride, (even though salvation is free.) but that's another story.

There's an answer

I will pray God meet you on your journey and clarify all that you seek. (He is a gentlemen's gentleman and will meet you half way. If you will too.) I would again say go to source, Christ Jesus. Examine his words first, before other parts of Bible. God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No marriage in heaven, so nothing to argue about

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Honestly, I don't know 'how' it works. The Bible doesn't tell us. So, on to another thread...... :dontcare:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly, I don't know 'how' it works. The Bible doesn't tell us. So, on to another thread...... :dontcare:

I admire your refreshing candor on this point, even if I find the answer inadequate.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You do, we all do, have control of where we end up.
Ok, I choose not to go to hell. I must be good then if I control where I end up.

God doesnt throw anyone in hell. No. Its us that choose hell, or heaven by what we do on earth.
Not what we do but what we believe.

Follow Jesus. Dont follow satan..
Give good evidence either exists then I will choose a side.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She'll still be herself, albeit a better version of herself. Christians look forward to this.
How? The perfect you is not the you anyone knows. God will have to transformer her into someone else for her to be OK with me in hell.

Jesus rose from the grave.
Provide the evidence please.

Upvote 0