Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is prophesied is totally unprecedented. We have no precedent and little concept of what the prophets describe. Just look at a few of them:

The sun shining seven times brighter....Isaiah 30:26 Can only be an explosion on the suns surface.
The moon shining as bright as the sun.... Isaiah 30:26 The reflection of the suns flash.
The sun turned to darkness....Joel 2:31, Revelation 6:12 The ejected mass of
superheated Hydrogen, obscures the sun from us.
The moon glowing bright red.....Joel 2:31, Revelation 6:12 The thermite reaction as the mass strikes it.
The sky is rolled up like a scroll....Isaiah 34:4, Revelation 6:14 As this huge mass strikes the earth, the side facing the sun, Zephaniah 2:4...at mid day.... will have the magnetic shield and some of the atmosphere pushed aside. This may cause asphyxiation. But the extreme heat, storms, earthquakes and tsunamis, will kill millions. Jeremiah 25:33, Isaiah 66:15-17, Psalms 97:3-5, Psalms 50:1-3, Zephaniah 1:1-12, Revelation 6:12-17

All this WILL happen, or we may as well throw our Bibles into the bin. Denial is not an option, because it is more than likely that WE will experience it all.

As for Damascus being a ruin and deserted forever, you are making yourself look silly by saying that has happened.
BTW, I do not doubt that you are a highly intelligent person, but its a mistake to tout it, as our Lord Jesus said: These thing are hidden from the wise and revealed to the simple. Matthew 11:25

Deal directly with the Academic and Historical Sources I gave. And, please refrain from Speculation. When a Solar Flare reaches the earth it only effects electronic devices.

"Finally, a cloud of charged particles known as a coronal mass ejection would bump against Earth's magnetic field. This would mean outages that would decommission everything from cell phones and computers to automobiles and airplanes. Cities would lose power for weeks, and potentially, months — and many activities necessary to daily life would no longer be possible."What if a solar flare hit Earth?

In 2012,

"A NASA image captures the solar flare which occurred Sunday night. A solar flare is a burst of radiation coming from the release of the magnetic energy associated with sun spots. The flares can last from minutes to hours. A coronal mass ejection, which can be caused by solar flares, can release billions of tons of matter from the sun moving at millions of miles an hour, according to NASA. The color teal is the traditional color to show light in the wave length that's easy to see solar flares."Spectacular solar storm reaches Earth

A coronal mass ejection is not that big of deal as we thought it was.

again deal with the well known history and academic sources I posted.

I do not give credence to speculative sources because they are simply reading into the text what is not there, nor historical in nature.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is prophesied is totally unprecedented. We have no precedent and little concept of what the prophets describe. Just look at a few of them:

The sun shining seven times brighter....Isaiah 30:26 Can only be an explosion on the suns surface.
The moon shining as bright as the sun.... Isaiah 30:26 The reflection of the suns flash.
The sun turned to darkness....Joel 2:31, Revelation 6:12 The ejected mass of
superheated Hydrogen, obscures the sun from us.
The moon glowing bright red.....Joel 2:31, Revelation 6:12 The thermite reaction as the mass strikes it.
The sky is rolled up like a scroll....Isaiah 34:4, Revelation 6:14 As this huge mass strikes the earth, the side facing the sun, Zephaniah 2:4...at mid day.... will have the magnetic shield and some of the atmosphere pushed aside. This may cause asphyxiation. But the extreme heat, storms, earthquakes and tsunamis, will kill millions. Jeremiah 25:33, Isaiah 66:15-17, Psalms 97:3-5, Psalms 50:1-3, Zephaniah 1:1-12, Revelation 6:12-17

All this WILL happen, or we may as well throw our Bibles into the bin. Denial is not an option, because it is more than likely that WE will experience it all.

As for Damascus being a ruin and deserted forever, you are making yourself look silly by saying that has happened.
BTW, I do not doubt that you are a highly intelligent person, but its a mistake to tout it, as our Lord Jesus said: These thing are hidden from the wise and revealed to the simple. Matthew 11:25

You mean like the one last July?

Don't Miss This Week's Deep Red Blood Moon - The Longest Lunar Eclipse Of This Century

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftrevornace%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2Flunar-eclipse-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It might make sense that the approaching armies WILL march through Damascus and Israel will be using conventional weapons, but Israel can't NUKE a neighboring country. They'll have to wait until the armies are within their own borders before making "white light".

And if you want a "front row seat", you might consider a view from the Island of Cyprus, with a lawn chair and glass of lemonade. A hundred a fifty miles should be close enough to see, but also far enough to be safe so long as tidal waves aren't generated. -- And I expect it within the next couple of months, but no more than six months.

Thanks,
DaDad

If it does not happen and I doubt it will, are you all going to retract your speculations here?

Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it does not happen and I doubt it will, are you all going to retract your speculations here?
GOD said what would happen, but if it doesn't, I hope you'll ask HIM to retract HIS "speculations".
Thanks,
DaDad

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You mean like the one last July?
'Blood moons', such as you show above, have nothing to do with Bible prophecy.
You ignore all the other cosmic and earthly effects, graphically prophesied and quite possible to happen, therefore they will happen and naysayers like you will be taken unawares. Not how we Christians should be. 1 Thessalonians 5:4

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GOD said what would happen, but if it doesn't, I hope you'll ask HIM to retract HIS "speculations".
Thanks,
DaDad

DaDad, your interpretation and that of others --- this is all it is not God'
s Word, nor infallible. My understanding is only limited too. And, yes they are only giving people useless speculations.

Now, go deal with the academic sources and History I posted.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most if not man
'Blood moons', such as you show above, have nothing to do with Bible prophecy.
You ignore all the other cosmic and earthly effects, graphically prophesied and quite possible to happen, therefore they will happen and naysayers like you will be taken unawares. Not how we Christians should be. 1 Thessalonians 5:4

Most if not Many of those "cosmic and earthly effects" already occurred with the destruction of the Temple, I guess it was around 70 AD. I am not a nay slayer, I simply don't buy into speculations like theirs. I look at the History and Academic sources.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Most if not Many of those "cosmic and earthly effects" already occurred with the destruction of the Temple, I guess it was around 70 AD. I am not a nay slayer, I simply don't buy into speculations like theirs. I look at the History and Academic sources.
Really?
Perhaps you could give the source for the moon shining bright blood red then, as per: Isaiah 30:26, Joel 2:31, Revelation 6:12, Acts 2:20
I have read Josephus's account of the Temple destruction. He says nothing about any cosmic events. Or even earthquakes, storms, etc.
You are wrong and you want to think these terrible things have happened, so you don't have to face them. Not the best attitude, as when it does, you are totally unprepared for them.
How much longer do you expect to live? If its more than a year, or maybe even less, then from what we see with the current world and esp the Middle East situation, plus the Biblical indications, then you and I will see it all. All the comprehensively prophesied end time events.
I look forward to it, as God promises great blessings to those who stand firm in their faith.

Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DaDad, your interpretation and that of others --- this is all it is not God'
EVERYONE (including me) is entitled to be wrong. But you abuse it.
Perhaps you should consider the practical implications of Daniel 11:40-44 and Ezekiel 38 & 39.
Thanks,
DaDad

• Haha
Reactions: Choose Wisely
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really?
Perhaps you could give the source for the moon shining bright blood red then, as per: Isaiah 30:26, Joel 2:31, Revelation 6:12, Acts 2:20
I have read Josephus's account of the Temple destruction. He says nothing about any cosmic events. Or even earthquakes, storms, etc.
You are wrong and you want to think these terrible things have happened, so you don't have to face them. Not the best attitude, as when it does, you are totally unprepared for them.
How much longer do you expect to live? If its more than a year, or maybe even less, then from what we see with the current world and esp the Middle East situation, plus the Biblical indications, then you and I will see it all. All the comprehensively prophesied end time events.
I look forward to it, as God promises great blessings to those who stand firm in their faith.

I already gave you the red moon, in a picture.

For those who have not read it, Chronology of the War According to Josephus: Part 7, The Fall of Jerusalem

I have to get back to work and will deal with this another day after you deal with the stuff I keep asking you to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This topic has nothing to do with Damascus today. Take a look at Isaiah 17 for starters.

I fully agree it has nothing to do with Damascus today friend!!!!

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From JewishEncyclopedia.com,

TEMPLE IN RABBINICAL LITERATURE – ...destruction of the Temple the Rabbis endeavored to enshrine its memory in the hearts of the Jews. As a reminiscence of its usage ("zekerle-miḳdash") R. Johanan b. Zakkai ordered that the celebration of the lulab be ...mourning for the destruction of the Temple, one should not whitewash or paint his house entirely, but should leave a space about one cubit square above the door (B. B. 60b). See ...Site. Holy of Holies of the Temple at Jerusalem.
ḤIYYA ḲARA – ...Palestinian scholar of the third and fourth centuries. He was a pupil of Samuel b. Naḥman, in whose name he asserted that since the destruction of the Temple neither good wine nor white earthenware could be...
DAVID BEN AARON IBN ḤUSAIN – ...Moroccan poet; lived in the second half of the eighteenth century. At the end of a collection of dirges of Moroccan poets written in commemoration of the destruction of the Temple, there is one composed by...
JESUS BEN ZAPPHA – ...perhaps identical with a former high priest of the same name, who, together with other nobles, fled from Jerusalem to the Romans shortly before the destruction of the Temple (ib. vi. 2, § 2).
ETHAUSEN, ALEXANDER BEN MOSES – ...German scholar; lived at Fulda in the seventeenth century. He was the author of a Judæo-German work in two parts: the first, "Bet Yisrael," a history of the Jews up to the destruction of the Second Temple...
HERES – ...City of the Sun) into "'Ir ha-Heres" (City of Destruction) was influenced by a later antagonism toward the Onias temple. On the other hand,the alteration of "Ḥeres" into "Ẓedeḳ" ([City of] Righteousness) was a ...shall be called 'Ir ha-Heres" (A. V. "the city of destruction"; R. V. margin, "Heres"). The Masoretic text, Aquila, Theodotion, and Peshiṭta read "City of Destruction ...result of the desire for a distinct prediction regarding that temple. For other opinions see Hastings, "Dict. Bible"; Geiger, "Urschrift," p. 79.2. Mountain (V06p353001.jpg
ZECHARIAH BEN ABḲILUS (Amphikalos) – ...Palestinian scholar and one of the leaders of the Zealots; lived in Jerusalem at the time of the destruction of the Second Temple. According to the Talmud, the ...their design. R. Johanan, on the other hand, or, according to another source, R. Jose, declared that the humility of Zechariah b. Abḳilus, in refusing to cast his vote, caused the destruction of the Temple (Giṭ ...offering to the Temple, the Hillelites would have accepted it to frustrate Bar Ḳamẓa, had not Zechariah, acting in the interest of the school of Shammai, given a casting vote, or (according to Lam. R. iv. 2) refrained...
HELIODORUS – ...Treasurer or, according to II Macc. iii.7, R. V., chancellor of Seleucus IV., Philopator. At the instigation of Apollonius, Seleucus sent Heliodorus to Jerusalem to seize the treasure of the Temple. The ...high priest Onias resisted him, pleading that the money in the treasury was reserved for widows and orphans; but Heliodorus forced his way into the Temple. There he was stopped by the apparition of a horseman ...charging upon him, while two young men scourged him pitilessly. Heliodorus was carried out of the Temple insensible; and only by the offering of the high priest was he restored to consciousness. Heliodorus therefore...
LEONTOPOLIS – ...Septuagint changes the phrase "city of destruction" (Isa. xix. 18) to "city of righteousness" (πόλις ἀσεδέκ). It may be taken for granted that the Egyptian Jews sacrificed frequently in the temple of Leontopolis ...destruction of the Temple at Jerusalem; and the sacrificial gifts, or rather the interior furnishings, were confiscated for the treasury of Vespasian ("B. J." vii. 10, § 4), the emperor fearing that through this temple ...uncertain allusion of the Hellenist Artapanus (in Eusebius, "Præparatio Evangelica," ix. 23), only Josephus gives information of this temple (more explicitly in his "Antiquities" of the Jews than in his "Jewish War...
JOHANAN B. GUDGADA – ...Scholar and chief gatekeeper at the Temple in the last years of its existence (Tosef., Sheḳ. ii. 14); senior of Joshua b. Hananiah. He survived the destruction of Jerusalem, and was present at the memorable ...appeared to follow and understand him (Ḥag. 3a). Now, as Johanan had reached the age of manhood prior to the destruction of the Temple (70 C.E.), it is chronologically incredible that his nephews, or even his...
AB, NINTH DAY OF – ...The Fall of Jerusalem. Day set aside by tradition for fasting and mourning, to commemorate the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple by the Chaldeans (586 ...these fast-days was discontinued. Since the destruction of Jerusalem and of the Second Temple by the Romans, the four fast-days have again been observed. It has indeed been suggested that the sacredness of the day ...was it possible for Israel to become a kingdom of priests and a holy nation; a conception which even in the Talmud is intimated in the saying, 'On the day of the destruction of the Temple the Messiah was born...
ASTRUC HA-LEVI OF DAROCA – ...legend that the Messiah was born on the day of the destruction of the Temple and was now in paradise, Astruc said: "Lord and Pope, you believe so many improbabilities about your Messiah, let us believe this single...
BETH-PEOR – ...Talmud, collected by Neubauer, "G. T." pp. 252, 253, prove that the place survived the destruction of the Second Temple.J. Jr...
JACOB BEN REUBEN IBN ẒUR – ...also a liturgical poet, and wrote many dirges on the destruction of the Temple which were incorporated in the "Ḳinot" for the 9th of Ab in use among the Moroccan Jews; and his name occurs in the approbations to...
GERONDI, MOSES B. SOLOMON D'ESCOLA – ...Gerondi, whom he calls "beni wetalmidi," and asks his son to tell the poet that he has read his (Gerondi's) verses with bitter tears on the Mount of Olives, opposite the Temple. This refers probably to a dirge on the ...destruction of Jerusalem which Landshuth takes to be identical with the elegy included in Naḥmanides' commentary to the Pentateuch (toward the end). Of Gerondi's religious...
EDERSHEIM, ALFRED – ...of Loders, Dorsetshire, which he resigned in 1883.Edersheim's works include: "A History of the Jewish Nation After the Destruction of Jerusalem," 1856; "The Temple; Its Ministry and Services," 1874; "Life...
FISCUS JUDAICUS – ...Vespasian, after the destruction of the sanctuary in 70 C.E., to the temple of Jupiter Capitolinus at Rome, the amount being two drachmas (Josephus, "B. J." vii. 6, § 6; Dion Cassius, lxvi. 7). This was an ...The yearly Temple tax of half a shekel prescribed by the Law (Ex. xxx. 13; compare Sheḳ. i. 1), and which the Jews of the Diaspora contributed during the time of the Second Temple. It was diverted by ...affront to Jewish religious feeling. Rabbinical law ordained, although merely theoretically, that the half-shekel need not be paid when the Temple no longer existed (Sheḳ. viii. 8). Rome furnishes the best...
BARUCH, APOCALYPSE OF (Syriac) – ...A pseudepigraphic work in which Baruch narrates his experiences during the periods just before and after the destruction of the Temple, and gives an account of the revelations received by him concerning the ...All these sections, according to Charles, date from the period after the destruction of the Temple; but the Apocalyptic parts, xxxvi.-xl. and liii.-lxxiv.—as to which Charles agrees with Kabisch in assigning them ...tribes and that to the nine and one-half tribes—originally formed one work, from which both the Book of Baruch and the Apocalypse of Baruch were derived. Details concerning the destruction of the Temple, which were...
MENAḤOT – ...Johanan b. Zakkai after the destruction of the Temple.Ch. xi.: The preparation of the pentecostal bread and of the showbread; the size of the loaves and when they may be eaten; the placing of the showbreadon ...noteworthy: p. 53a, b—an instance of the peculiar style of R. Ezra's haggadic exegesis; the tradition as to how God justified Himself to Abraham for the destruction of the Temple and the exile of the people; the ...and how it was tested.Ch. ix.: The different measures used in the Temple to measure the flour, the oil, and the wine for the various offerings; drink-offerings; the sacrifices for which drink-offerings...
ORGAN – ...subheadinglevel2" name="anchor1">Cessation of Instrumental Music. Instrumental music in divine services ceased with the destruction of the Temple. Music was prohibited generally, in token of mourning for the ...According to Jewish authorities, the organ was one of the instruments of music in the Temple. In the Authorized Version rendering of Ps. cl. 4 the terms "stringed instruments" and "organs" used to translate ...either "organ" or "piano." The Temple organ very likely was the "magrefa" mentioned in the Talmud as one of the instruments of the sanctuary. It is described by Samuel as consisting of ten pipes, each pipe having...
ANTONIA – ...modern level being some 40 feet higher than the bottom of the ditch. Thus Antonia replaced a citadel guarding the Temple on the north, which existed even before the destruction of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar, and it ...The name given by Herod the Great to a fortress on the north side of the Temple at Jerusalem. It formed a projection on the northwest, so that it was not till it was destroyed that the Temple area became a ...adjoined the north and west cloisters of the outer enclosure of the Temple. There were four corner towers, and the main citadel, on a lofty scarped rock, was said to be 50 cubits high. The corner towers were of the...
SANCTUARY – ...Olah," i., § 1; and Israel Jaffe, introduction to same, § 15, ed. Prague, 1833). After the destruction of the Temple the synagogue replaced it as the sanctuary for Prayer.
SHROUD – ...concerning mixed material (= "sha'atnez"; Kil. ix. 4).Prior to the destruction of the Second Temple, the Jews were buried in the garments they were wont to wear during life. When the woman of Endor saw the ...upon mourners of the middle and poorer classes, who could ill endure the expense and yet desired to show the highest respect for their dead. This caused R. Gamaliel, about fifty years after the destruction of the ...Temple, to inaugurate the custom of using a simple linen shroud for rich and poor alike (M. Ḳ. 27b).One who dies as a result of an act of violence, or in consequence of loss of blood, or a woman who dies in...
SABBATICAL YEAR AND JUBILEE – ...seventeen jubilees, passed between that date and the destruction of the First Temple. The first cycle commenced after the conquest of the land and its distribution among the tribes, which, occupied fourteen years, and ...The Talmud gives as a rule for finding the year of shemiṭṭah to add one year and divide by seven the number of years since the destruction of the Second Temple, or to add 2 for every 100 years and divide the ...of the cycle or the year after the cycle; also as to the beginning of the exilic shemiṭṭah from the year when the destruction of the Temple occurred, or from the year after. There is another version of the...
BARCHES – ...bread on that day. Consequently, the offering of a portion of the dough to the priest, in the time of the Temple, as prescribed in Num. xv. 20—and after the destruction of the Temple to be cast into the fire...
ISIS – ...from that city by Tiberius (Josephus, "Ant." xviii. 3, § 4; Hegisippus, "De Excidio Hieros." ii. 4).After the destruction of Jerusalem, Vespasian and Titus celebrated their triumph in the Temple of Isis at ...In the Epistle of Jeremiah (30-40) either the cult of Isis or that of Cybele is described. The violation of the chaste Paulina in the Temple of Isis at Rome was one of the reasons for the expulsion of the Jews...
HOROWITZ, LEOPOLD – ...Jews may be mentioned: "Prayers in a Polish Synagogue on the Anniversary of the Destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem"; "The Polish Tutor"; "The Harmless War" His finest portraits are those of the Princess of...
ḲAMẒA – ...Two persons who, according to a Talmudic legend (Giṭ. 55b-56a), were the cause of the destruction of Jerusalem. A certain man, having prepared a banquet, sent an invitation by his servant to his friend ...as having revolted against the Roman emperor, declaring, in support of his allegation, that if the emperor were to send an offering to the Temple, the priests would refuse to accept it. The emperor therefore...
TAMMUZ – ...Fourth ecclesiastical and tenth civil month of the Hebrew calendar. It consists of twenty-nine days, and corresponds to part of June and part of July. During the last years of the Second Temple the 14th of ...by Apostomus (comp. Josephus, "Ant." xx. 5, § 4; idem, "B. J." ii. 12, § 2), and the discontinuance of the sacrifices. With the 17th begin the three weeks of mourning over the destruction of Jerusalem...
WREATH – ...destruction of Jerusalem (Yer. Soṭah ix. 15). When Rabina discovered Mar bar R. Ashi in the act of twisting a wreath for his daughter, Ashi claimed that women were exempted from the prohibition (Giṭ. 7a).The first ...to in Gen. xl. 10 is symbolicof Israel, and the "three branches," or wreaths, represent the Temple, the king, and the high priest (Ḥul. 92a). See Crown.
temple destruction - search - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I already gave you the red moon, in a picture.

For those who have not read it, Chronology of the War According to Josephus: Part 7, The Fall of Jerusalem
That, so called 'blood moon', is merely the full moon rising, as seen thru all the earths atmosphere, on an angle parallel with the earths surface.
Did anything happen then? No: so it was simply a natural phenomenon, of no consequence at all.

I checked the Wars of the Jews, by Josephus again.
His description of the fall of Jerusalem and the Temple destruction, is in Part 6 and I can find no natural or supernatural events described. No earthquakes, storms or darkness, let alone the cosmic disturbances prophesied.
Is saying things that are not true, a 'military intelligence' method of proving your case?

Do not doubt it: we await the fulfilment of dramatic events. This world will be changed - for the better, so do as 2 Peter 3:12 says....look forward to that Day and hasten it on.....

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
something is always happening.

Columbus had to do something. Three days before a lunar eclipse was to occur on the night of Feb. 29, he told the Arawak chief his Christian god was angry because the locals were no longer being generous. Evidence of his god’s displeasure would be revealed in three days’ time, when the moon would disappear from the sky and turn red with fury. He based this on knowledge of a coming lunar eclipse, noted in the 15th-century astronomer Johannes Müller von Königsberg’s almanac with astronomical tables, which sailors relied upon.The terrifying history of lunar eclipses

Also, Celtic Awakenings are associated with red moons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have read Josephus's account of the Temple destruction. He says nothing about any cosmic events.

This "nothing"?

“So it was when a star resembling a sword, stood over the city [Jerusalem] and a comet which continued for a year.”
  • Josephus, Jewish Wars 6:289

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This "nothing"?

“So it was when a star resembling a sword, stood over the city [Jerusalem] and a comet which continued for a year.”
My speed reading missed that one, thanks for pointing it out.
However those signs did not fulfil the prophesies of the Sixth Seal, the Lord's Day of wrath, graphically described as a day of fire, earthquakes, storms and tsunamis.

We await that Day, which will be triggered by an attack onto Israel by an Islamic confederation, as Psalms 83 and Micah 4:11-2, describe.

Daniel M, eclipses are a foreseeable event, and have no prophetic value.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This "nothing"?

A "cosmic event" in Biblical Ancient Near Eastern Language refers to Political and Religious events. The destruction of the Temple in 70 AD and fall of Damascus --- both fall under that umbrella of understanding.
For your information, I attended Temple as a child and understand Hebrew culture in those areas. This is why the wise men following a Star was such a big deal to Herod.

The Historical Sources that I posted and the Academic Sources all refute their silly speculations. While the epistolary context makes Munnabitu’s comments admittedly somewhat telegraphic, on the face of it the diviner seems to understand his obligation to the king as reporting strictly propitious omens (see discussion in A. Leo Oppenheim, “Divination and Celestial Observation in the Late Assyrian Empire,” Centaurus 14 [1969]: 97–135 (114–15); and KochWestenholz, Mesopotamian Astrology, 65–66). Nonetheless, a brief scan of this diviner’s other reports (SAA 8 316–322) shows that he has no qualms about reporting negative omens to the king, even going so far at one point to suggest the performance of a namburbî to obviate the oracular fate portended by a lunar eclipse. I am tempted to postulate that, were the order in which these reports were written apparent, we might see a development in regard to how Munnabitu appreciates his role in counseling the king (i.e., towards a more jingoistic character), but this is entirely speculative. 70 This summary is based on the l

"In this case, Esarhaddon is not inventing a celestial situation out of whole cloth as
he is in his previous statement regarding the regular ideal appearances of the sun
and moon; rather, the observed celestial phenomenon here described is in fact
accurate according to astronomical reconstructions of the night sky as it appeared
in 680 BCE.
This particular omen entails three different astronomical events:
1) Venus rising in the west, in a certain section of the sky known as the Path of Ea;51 2) Venus reaching something called its “secret”; and 3) Venus setting. All of
these ominous events are attested in the celestial divination omen collections
where they occur in multiple, interconnected and, it seems, developing forms.52 In
regard to Esarhaddon’s interpretation of these celestial phenomena in Assur A, it
would be fruitful to delineate that development by examining two of the tablets
that contain various Venus omens ...

As noted in Esarhaddon’s mantic program introduced in Assur A (above), the appearance
of the full moon on the 15th, rather than the 14th, is not welcome news:

At first glance, Šapiku seems to be offering the king a negative understanding of
this phenomenon. In light of Bel-ušezib’s prognostication above (SAA 10 112), I
suggest that Šapiku, too, assumes that the nakru here should be understood as Assyria,
while the mātu has to be its enemies, particularly since a full moon on the
16th is a positive omen consistently applied to Subartu/Assyria.85 The fact that the
diviner ends his reading on an overwhelmingly positive note supports this understanding.

Šapiku then applies some of the same omens Rašili applied above, namely,
Mars in a lunar halo and the sun in a lunar halo (notably, he does not equate the
Yoke/mulŠUDUN/nīru with Mars, as Rašili did).86 Thus far, the diviner has applied his
omens more or less responsibly.

Jean Bottéro, “Symtômes, signes, écritures,” in Divination et Rationalité (ed. J.-P.
Vernant et al.; Paris: Éditions du Seuil, 1974), 70–193, 81. See more recently also the contributions
by Francesca Rochberg now available in her volume of collected essays, In the Path of the
Moon. Babylonian Celestial Divination and its Legacy (Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2010 ; see further
Niek Veldhuis, “The Theory of Knowledge and the Practice of Celestial Divination,” in Divination
and Interpretation of Signs in the Ancient World (ed. Amar Annus; Oriental Institute Seminars
8; Chicago: The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, 2010), 77–91; Eckart
Frahm, “Reading the Tablet, the Exta, and the Body: The Hermeneutics of Cuneiform Signs
in Babylonian and Assyrian Text Commentaries and Divinatory Texts,” in Divination and Interpretation
of Signs in the Ancient World, 93–141; his Babylonian and Assyrian Text Commentaries
(Guides to the Mesopotamian Textual Record 5; Münster: Ugarit-Verlag, 2011); and Abraham
Winitzer, “Writing and

It is interesting to note that the contemporary Hammurapi also uses religious reasoning
in his diplomatic correspondence, see Davis, “‘Answer me Properly!’” 249–50, who
quotes ARM 26 469, in which Hammurapi tells Zimri-Lim that he cannot swear the oath for a
diplomatic alliance between them because the day that was set aside for that is ominous in
connection with the moon-god Sîn.
20 As is evident by the fact that "https://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/pubs/9781589839984_OA.pdf

Now, go deal with the Academic Sources, Jewish Sources and History I posted. Since you keep ignoring those sources.... I think you like false speculation over studying the Scriptures in their Historical Cultural Contexts.

Not only do you have no knowledge of the Prophetic Word, but you also know nothing about the causes and effects of a Coronal Mass Ejection.
Suggestion 1/ Read your bible.
2/ google; CME.

I was not talking about Coronal Mass Ejection. But, I was in Military Intelligence in the area of programming Nukes. I was speaking about the surface of the Sun. A Solar Flair will not reach the Earth -- to far away.

Scripture clearly says, 2 Kings 16:9 Good News Translation (GNT)
9 Tiglath Pileser, in answer to Ahaz' plea, marched out with his army against Damascus, captured it, killed King Rezin, and took the people to Kir as prisoners.

Isaiah 17:1
Context
NET ©
Here is a message about Damascus: “Look, Damascus is no longer a city, it is a heap of ruins!

NIV ©
An oracle concerning Damascus: "See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins.

From the Hebrew the NET Translation is the correct one.

The word forever in Isaiah 17 was added to the LXX, not original in the Hebrew.

These comments from the Pulpit Commentary are interesting and might shed light on the historicity of the city of Aroer as it relates to the Damascus prophecy:

Sargon’s annals tell us of a “Gal’gar,” a name well expressing the Hebrew ????, which was united in a league with Damascus, Samaria, Arpad, and Simyra, in the second year of Sargon, and was the scene of a great battle and a great destruction. Sargon besieged it, took it, and reduced it to ashes (‘Records of the Past,’ 50. s.e.). There is every reason to recognize the “Aroer” of this verse in the “Gargar” of Sargon’s inscriptions. They shall be for flocks (comp. Isaiah 5:17; 7:25). It marked the very extreme of desolation, that cattle should be pastured on the sites of cities. None shall make them afraid; i.e. “there shall be no inhabitants to make any objection.” ....

Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible: “[T]he city’s doom was predicted by Isaiah (8:4; 17:1), Amos (1:3–5), and Jeremiah (49:23–27). Rejecting God, Ahaz of Judah turned for protection to an alliance with the Assyrians, whom he bribed with the temple treasure. The Assyrian king Tiglath-pileser III (‘Pul’) agreed and marched against the Syro-Israelite confederation. After defeating Israel he attacked Damascus, plundered the city, deported the population, and replaced them with foreigners from other captured lands. Damascus was no longer an independent city-state.”
William Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible: “Under Ahaz it was taken by Tiglath-pileser, (2 Kings 16:7, 8, 9) the kingdom of Damascus brought to an end, and the city itself destroyed, the inhabitants being carried captive into Assyria. (2 Kings 16:9 ) comp. Isai 7:8 and Amos 1:5. Afterwards it passed successively under the dominion of the Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Macedonians, Romans and Saracens, and was at last captured by the Turks in 1516 A.D.”
“The conquest of Damascus by Tiglath-Pileser III (733-732 BC) is the final result of the Assyrian intervention against the anti-Assyrian coalition of Rezin of Damascus and Pekah of Israel against Ahaz of Judah. Rezin and Pekah tried to capture Jerusalem, capital city of the kingdom of Judah, but they failed (about 735–734 BC). Tiglath-Pileser III came to the aid of Ahaz of Judah, who promptly asked for the help of the Assyrian king. He finally destroyed the power of Damascus, by besieging the city, forcing king Rezin to surrender, as well as by conquering the whole region once under the control of Damascus. Rezin of Damascus died during the siege, according to the Bible (II Kings 16:9). After the conquest by Tiglath-Pileser III, Damascus was no longer the capital of the independent and rich kingdom of Aram.”18
The Isaiah 17 Damascus Bible prophecy has been fulfilled The American Vision

The City of Damascus we have today is simply rebuilt in a new location.
It was the power that the City of Damascus held over others was destroyed. I can't figure out why people see the Bible as a magic book.

I know enough to consult reference materials.

"I believe it makes more sense to hold that Isaiah 17 was fulfilled in the eighth century BC when both Damascus, the capital of Syria, and Samaria, the capital of Israel, were hammered by the Assyrians. In that conquest, both Damascus and Samaria were destroyed, just as Isaiah 17 predicts. According to history, Tiglath-pileser III (745–727 BC) pushed vigorously to the west, and in 734 the Assyrians advanced and laid siege to Damascus, which fell two years later in 732.1 "The Isaiah 17 Damascus Bible prophecy has been fulfilled The American Vision

" The New American Standard has “Damascus is about to be removed from being a city” (Isa. 17:1). According to Oswalt in his commentary on Isaiah, the Hebrew construction “hinneh . . . mûsar is a participial construction indicating imminent action, ‘Behold, Damascus is on the point of being removed.’”15 "ibid link

"
Damascus was utterly destroyed in fulfillment of what was predicted in Isaiah 17. The destroyer himself —Tiglath-pileser — said so in his Annals:

“I took 800 people together with their property, their cattle (and) their sheep as spoil. I took 750 captives of the cities of Kurussa (and) Sama (as well as) 550 captives from the city of Metuna as spoil. I destroyed 591 cities from the 16 districts of Damascus like ruins from the Flood.”19" is the primary source. ibid link

I know enough about History to know it has already been fulfilled.

As a member of Mensa and having been invited to join intertel, Triple-Nine Society, and ISPE from time to time --- I know better than degrade others.

What I ignore is modern speculations related to prophecy which would make me more ignorant about History and Prophecy.

Now, go deal with the Academic Sources, Jewish Sources and History I posted. Since you keep ignoring those sources.... I think you like false speculation over studying the Scriptures in their Historical Cultural Contexts.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics