How were people before the time of Jesus saved?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have heard it be said that the people before the time of Jesus were saved by faith in the saviour who was to come, but I don't know.

Did someone like Abel knew to trust in the saviour to come? Did the OT-people knew to trust in the saviour for salvation? Is there even one verse in the OT that says that salvation comes from trusting in a future saviour? Aren't OT more about keeping the Laws and following God?

I know there are a lot of prophecies in the OT about Jesus, still did the people understand these prophecies? Didn't even the Jews believe that Christ was going to be an earthly ruler?

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you
were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake" (1 Peter 1:18-20).

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in
his sight" (Ephesians 1:4).

OT - Saved by grace through faith - Jesus Concealed - The promise of the Savor to come

NT - Saved by grace through faith - Jesus Revealed - The Savor revealed in human form

The plan of salvation was in place before creation of the world.

OT - Jesus and God are one. Therefore God in the OT is Jesus and Jesus in the NT is God (God incarnate in the flesh).

John 10:30

I and the Father are one.

John 14:9

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

I am

John (Jesus speaking)

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

Exodus 2

14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

God Bless.

Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have heard it be said that the people before the time of Jesus were saved by faith in the saviour who was to come, but I don't know.

Did someone like Abel knew to trust in the saviour to come? Did the OT-people knew to trust in the saviour for salvation? Is there even one verse in the OT that says that salvation comes from trusting in a future saviour? Aren't OT more about keeping the Laws and following God?

I know there are a lot of prophecies in the OT about Jesus, still did the people understand these prophecies? Didn't even the Jews believe that Christ was going to be an earthly ruler?

God's people trust in Him to save them ...

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus went down to the dead, when He died on the cross and saved those that heard and believed.

Yes, and we ought to qualify that. It is a reference to the OT saints who died in faith; and includes those such faithful ones as the thief on the Cross (seemingly the last of the OT saints) who have been waiting in "Abraham's bosom" ---beyond the "...great gulf fixed" between the condemned souls and the faithful saints. The Lord raised them up with Him to paradise (Heaven). Hades today is without a "fixed gulf" and yet the holding place for all condemned souls until they are cast into "the lake of fire" with Satan, after the "Great white throne" told in Revelation. Saints today who die are with Christ in Heaven, though their body is temporarily in the grave until the translation up ---often called "the rapture": speaking of exceeding greatest joy. It is good to get this fuller picture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I think you all are forgetting some key verses here:

"If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood--and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood--why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?"

"For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another."

"It is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins."

"The righteous shall live by his faith."

So, show me again where obedience to these laws made up their salvation, because if that was the case Christ didn't need to die. I have no doubt the righteous also obeyed God's law at the time, but Abraham wasn't justified for anything other than believing God and Abel's sacrifice surely couldn't have pleased God if it didn't speak to something more.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Zoidar.
Long time.

I've only read 7 posts and the replies are all different and very interesting indeed!

In the O.T. people got saved the same way they do today...
They had faith in God.
Romans 1:19-20
19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

God has always revealed Himself to mankind.
There have always been those who accepted and believed in a God, and those who haven't. Think of the American Indian...

Then why do we need Jesus at all?
Think of the difference between the Mosaic Covenant and the New Covenant. That's the reason...

Hi GodsGrace!

What do you mean by the American Indians? Weren't they more of the belief of a "World soul", like the Hindus?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where did you get that idea? Paul says that no man can be saved by works of the Law (Romans 3:20) and that people have always been justified through faith (Romans 1:17).

Contrary to what you're saying, if anyone is saved at any time it is because of Christ. All who are saved are saved by the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and they receive this salvation by grace through faith.
Correction, no man can be saved by works of the law because Christ has nullified the law by bringing about its fulfillment. Before Jesus all Jews were required to follow the law of Moses and Gentiles the Laws of Moses. Also we’re not just justified by Faith alone, that’s a manipulation of Paul’s words. Paul said we’re not justified by works of the law distinct from good works of the faith. as described by James. Furthermore Romans 1:17 doesn’t describe the words through faith alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah was prophesying to Jerusalem telling them the Babylonians were coming and unless they surrendered, there would be great losses. The king imprisoned him to silence him and had a similar prophet killed. The city ran out of bread and the Babylonians captured Jerusalem. They deported many of those who survived to Babylon. Since Jeremiah told the truth about what was going to happen, God saved him. People who believe God get saved to this day.

How one believes God is important. One should note John 14:6 about getting saved, and see also John 3 and also 1 Jn. 5:10-12. It is all in faith and devotion to God's "...beloved Son" ---"the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God".

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GodsGrace!

What do you mean by the American Indians? Weren't they more of the belief of a "World soul", like the Hindus?
The American Indian didn't know about Hindu's or Jesus.
But they did know about the Great Spirit...God.
They would fit nicely into Romans 1:19-20.

They weren't in touch with any other culture, but they did know about God. Ditto for many tribes in Central America and Africa..they don't know God's name, but they know about God and some of them worship Him in faith and heart, and some of them don't -- it's just a tribal "put on".

See?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Correction, no man can be saved by works of the law because Christ has nullified the law by bringing about its fulfillment.

I'd be careful about correcting the apostle Paul if I were you. Why should I accept your words over his? The risen Christ appeared to Paul and taught him.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correction, no man can be saved by works of the law because Christ has nullified the law by bringing about its fulfillment. Before Jesus all Jews were required to follow the law of Moses and Gentiles the Laws of Moses. Also we’re not just justified by Faith alone, that’s a manipulation of Paul’s words. Paul said we’re not justified by works of the law distinct from good works of the faith. as described by James. Furthermore Romans 1:17 doesn’t describe the words through faith alone.
Jesus did not nullify the law.
Where does it say this in scripture?

Mathew 5:17-20
17“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18“For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19“Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20“For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

To fulfill means to fulfill all the prophecies about the Messiah, which in fact, Jesus did do.

I do agree that we are not saved by works but by faith and works.

• Agree
Reactions: Barney2.0
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It remains conjecture on your part. Lower regions of the earth (us) is up for grabs if you want to make more out of it than what it says. Water-less pit? That's up for grabs too. But Jesus provides us with living waters which seem closer to the meaning of Zechariah.....

There's no conjecture. It's exactly what the apostles and Church Father's taught.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Calvary

Persistent - testing the system.
Oct 9, 2018
;) wouldn't you like to know.
Visit site
✟10,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

Did someone like Abel knew to trust in the saviour to come?
Yes. The scripture says so:

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Gen 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Luk 11:51 From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias, which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Heb 11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Did the OT-people knew to trust in the saviour for salvation?
Yes. See:

Gen 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Abraham, Moses, Joshua, etc spake to the Son of God directly, and it is written of them:

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Consider Abraham with Isaac on the mount, and the sacrifice, and the Ram.

Moses and the Israelites had the same Gospel:

Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Isaiah had it:

Isa 52:7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

along with many others from the beginning (Seth, Noah, Job).

Is there even one verse in the OT that says that salvation comes from trusting in a future saviour?
Hebrews 11 itself on the whole, among other places already cited:

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Heb 11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

What did Abel "hope for"? What could he not yet "see" directly? The event of the Cross, through the sacrifice of the "lamb" "slain from the foundation of the world", but he did see it by faith, even in the clothing of his parents, Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:21), and so offered of the "firstlings" of his flock, in the "seed" to come (Genesis 3:15)

Aren't OT more about keeping the Laws and following God?
Following God and keeping His commandments is always required, from Adam to the last man, see:

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man (Adam).
Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

The Gospel is not contrary to that, but in harmony with it.

I know there are a lot of prophecies in the OT about Jesus, still did the people understand these prophecies?
They understood as far as they needed to then, and saw by faith.

Didn't even the Jews believe that Christ was going to be an earthly ruler?
Yes. They are partly correct, just got the timing incorrect. They desired political deliverance, politcal reforms, rather than true deliverance (from sin, Matthew 1:21; 1 John 3:4), and character/heart reform, even as it is now, for events are already repeating for the last time.

Upvote 0