How were baptist pastors "chosen" in the early 19th century? (1800-1850s)?

John MacK

Jul 30, 2013
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
What I mean is, how would a town come to have a particular pastor? If their pastor died, who would replace him? A member of the community? Or were there regional seminaries that would dispatch a new one? Very curious as to how that worked, thanks :) (also I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology).

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptist churches have historically been congregationally ruled; the congregation selected its pastor. In the early days, most often it would be someone from the area. The role of the seminary in Baptist polity is very limited, and back then seminary grads would be called by churches from larger cities to pastor.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What I mean is, how would a town come to have a particular pastor? If their pastor died, who would replace him? A member of the community? Or were there regional seminaries that would dispatch a new one? Very curious as to how that worked, thanks :) (also I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology).
Pastors tended to be those of the congregation. Also the local congregations would seek the council of other pastors to help them find the man God intended for them. They often asked men who lived in other areas to come preach for them and if the congregation and the pastor fell in love with each other the man would receive a call from the congregation. That is still the way in which some Baptist churches still get a pastor. Seminaries were not a Baptist thing until the SBC started Southern Seminary in Louisville in the 1860's. Spurgeon did have a preachers college but it wasn't like a seminary but a school where men who were already preachers came and were taught by Spurgeon. My current pastor has a preachers school that is open to those men who preach either from our congregation of those near who want to come and learn from an established pastor. It isn't a formal seminary but a place to come and learn the method of Biblical interpretation and preaching.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seminaries were not a Baptist thing until the SBC started Southern Seminary in Louisville in the 1860's.

Actually brother, it was in 1858 and it was in Greenville So. Carolina. It began in the old Furman Campus. James Petigru Boyce (1827–1888) was the Founder and first President of the Seminary.

It moved in 1877 to a newly built campus in downtown Louisville and later moved to its current location in the Crescent Hill neighborhood.

Wish I could afford to go there or to Southeastern.

But I guess the extension campus here in Charlotte will have to do.

I'm set to retire in 5 years, perhaps the good Lord will provide a way.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Actually brother, it was in 1858 and it was in Greenville So. Carolina. It began in the old Furman Campus. James Petigru Boyce (1827–1888) was the Founder and first President of the Seminary.

It moved in 1877 to a newly built campus in downtown Louisville and later moved to its current location in the Crescent Hill neighborhood.

Wish I could afford to go there or to Southeastern.

But I guess the extension campus here in Charlotte will have to do.

I'm set to retire in 5 years, perhaps the good Lord will provide a way.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Thanks for the clarification. :oldthumbsup:

I expect to start getting my SSI in September. Right now I am unemployed and unemployable because of my health.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the clarification. :oldthumbsup:

I expect to start getting my SSI in September. Right now I am unemployed and unemployable because of my health.

I know God will provide for you.

Hoping this finds you in better health.

Lots of respect brother.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Baptist churches have historically been congregationally ruled; the congregation selected its pastor.

Now being in a baptist church I appreciate the congregational aspect of church government, the opposite can make the church very volatile. God Bless :)

Upvote 0