How was the apostle Paul before he was converted?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He was a devout religious leader. Knew the word inside and out...studied all his life. He had his interpretation of the letter of the law and stood by it.......anyone coming with anything that sounded strange or spiritual were deemed a blasphemer and killed, for the sake of the Lord they served. He was a hero to the religious back then and would be today too....only today we kill with words and posts and defamation of character.... But it is all for the sake of the God we serve....so it is understandable.

One day he was caught on the street called straight and shown the mysteries.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did he persecute Christians? He hated the Lord Jesus Christ?
Can someone explain to me with verses? Thank you.

Hello Carolina - Welcome to CF.
The short answer is, Because he was a blind and deaf, prideful sinner.
It's too late for me to give a longer answer but think and pray about what these scriptures tell us.
John 7:17-29 and 8:37-43,
Galatians 1:11:24,
Acts 7:51 - 8:3 and 22:3-22 and 26:4-12.
Go well, goodnight,
><>

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,316.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you will look at the first page on this forum you will see that it is described as a place to discuss persecution for the purpose of holding those persecuted up in prayer. There are other forums where you can go to ask theological questions. This is a special place where the attention and, again, prayer, is for those who are sometimes suffering unimaginable things - not in Biblical times but in our time.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I think one can only speculate. Maybe he wanted to be admired and felt persecuting Christians would accomplish that goal. It seems to me all of Christ's enemies were motivated by pride.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you will look at the first page on this forum you will see that it is described as a place to discuss persecution for the purpose of holding those persecuted up in prayer. There are other forums where you can go to ask theological questions. This is a special place where the attention and, again, prayer, is for those who are sometimes suffering unimaginable things - not in Biblical times but in our time.

Quite right LoricaLady - Sorry, I saw the title of the OP without registering where it was.
@carolina16 maybe you should ask admin to move your thread to a more appropriate forum.
><>

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

262241_97344f3feba7d2020816cbb9e9ef87d8.jpeg

This Thread

has been moved

From

Persecuted Christians

To

Christian History

as
This is a

More Appropriate Forum

For this Subject

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF!

Because the Jewish religious leaders of the day did not recognize Christ as Messiah. They thought Christianity was just some strange new cult, and when they saw it gaining traction among the Jewish people, thought it needed to be wiped out. They thought they were protecting God's true religion.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In song form:

Saul of Tarsus was a pharisee, who had studied the Torah. He thought the new Christian movement to be Heresy, and opposed it on the grounds of it being politically dangerous and blasphemy. He was obviously affiliated with those in power, as he could easily go to the High Priest for letters of permission, and was a Roman Citizen. He thus had a strong incentive to keep the status quo.
He then had the original Damascus Road conversion.

What I have always wondered is about Gamaliel, his teacher. Later in Acts we read Gamaliel defend the Christians, saying that if it is if God it would prosper, and if not it wouldn't. We also know that he was quite mild in other sources. Was Paul merely a rebel against the milder teachings of his master, and so persecuted the Christians? Or did Paul's conversion influence Gamaliel to be milder, as I am sure Paul would have gone to talk or wrote about Christ to him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Annoying - I did this post yesterday - but obviously I didn't :scratch:

Hi Q est V - Johnny Cash and country and western aren't my first choice for listening but this was really good. Not over varnished, not made mawkish, straight from The Book. Thanks.
Yea Gamaliel dunno, wise, learned, cautious, respected yet he didn't seem to recognise the righteousness of God when it was right in front of him.

BTW I've started a thread to do with persecution in Ethics and Morality if anyone is interested.
><>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Regarding your title: How was the apostle Paul before he was converted?

Saul, was a Protester, a Protestant, against the Church founded on Rock, like many now, until the Lord visited him in the desert road, and then he was no longer a protestant, who's name now, is St. Paul.

PanDeVida

• Haha
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Saul of Tarsus was the Jewish equivalent of the Taliban.
Not even close - totally out of the ballpark !

Saul was zealous for Yahweh, but without knowledge.

The others you mention are by all reports not interested in Yahweh at all.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Regarding your title: How was the apostle Paul before he was converted?

Saul, was a Protester, a Protestant, against the Church founded on Rock, like many now, until the Lord visited him in the desert road, and then he was no longer a protestant, who's name now, is St. Paul.

PanDeVida
Again, no, not at all, not even close !

Paul was not and would never be roman catholic nor protestant.

He was and is Jewish, called by Yahweh and set apart since birth for Yahweh's Purpose and Plan in Christ Jesus (as written in the Bible).

Upvote 0