United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saint Steven said:
Thanks. Do you take issue with any specific info in the cited quote?
"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96 German theologian- Philip Schaff, Editor: "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
I do! That one paragraph is all there is to it. There is no credible, verifiable historical evidence listed which supports the claim. Nothing! Just the unsupported opinions of the authors.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That ain't what Jesus said in Matthew 25:46

eternal​

1 of 2

adjective

eter·nal i-ˈtər-nᵊl

a
: having infinite duration : EVERLASTING
eternal damnation
b
: of or relating to eternity
c
: characterized by abiding fellowship with God
good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?—Mark 10:17 (Revised Standard Version)
a
: continued without intermission : PERPETUAL
an eternal flame
b
: seemingly endless
eternal delays
archaic : INFERNAL
some eternal villain … devised this slander—William Shakespeare
: valid or existing at all times : TIMELESS
eternal verities

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My issues are that: 1) Schaff-Herzog aren't the only Christian historians anyone has to reference, 2) I don't care much for generalities that are repeated so often they become "gliterring," and 3) I also don't feel like I, or anyone for that matter, absolutely has to care about any theological voices beyond, say, the first 100 years after Jesus' Resurrection. So, I don't----rather, I choose to whom I will listen to among Christian scholars coming after the first 100 years.

Until I have to dismantle all three of my contestations in order to "be a good or spiritually filled Christian," I'll retain them.
I don’t think you have to dismantle 1 or 2.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And 3 isn't going anywhere either. That's not a challenge, though, Chevy. Just an admission. :sorry:
And mine was only the gentlest encouragement towards the Fathers.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The devil, satan, and the demons have their own authors for such things, and they are more popular in the world by far than the truth is.
I shall give this post all the attention that it merits.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
eternal
1 of 2

adjective

eter·nal i-ˈtər-nᵊl
a
: having infinite duration : EVERLASTING
eternal damnation
b
: of or relating to eternity
c
: characterized by abiding fellowship with God
good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?—Mark 10:17 (Revised Standard Version)
a
: continued without intermission : PERPETUAL
an eternal flame
b
: seemingly endless
eternal delays
archaic : INFERNAL
some eternal villain … devised this slander—William Shakespeare
: valid or existing at all times : TIMELESS
eternal verities
One thing missing. The identification of the source. So, you found this somewhere online. Below is a link to a prior post of mine where I posted the complete definition of "aionios" from Bauer Danker, Arndt, Gingrich Greek lexicon. One of, if not, the most highly accredited Greek lexicons currently available. For the readers benefit I highlighted in blue the 80+ historical sources the scholars consulted in determining the correct meaning. Credible scholars don't sit around making up definitions for words, if they intend to remain scholars.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One thing missing. The identification of the source. So, you found this somewhere online
The definition of "eternal" that I posted is from Mirriam-Webster's dictionary:

Below is a link to a prior post of mine where I posted the complete definition of "aionios" from Bauer Danker, Arndt, Gingrich Greek lexicon. One of, if not, the most highly accredited Greek lexicons currently available.
One of the definitions in your source is "in the reign of God" and also "of unseen glory in contrast to the transitory world of the senses":

"in the Reign of God: ζωὴ αἰ. (Orig., C. Cels. 2, 77, 3) Mt 19:16, 29; 25:46; Mk 10:17, 30; Lk 10:25; 18:18, 30; J 3:15f, 36; 4:14, 36; 5:24, 39; 6:27, 40, 47, 54, 68; 10:28; 12:25, 50; 17:2f; Ac 13:46, 48; Ro 2:7; 5:21; 6:22f; Gal 6:8; 1 Ti 1:16; 6:12; Tit 1:2; 3:7; 1J 1:2; 2:25; 3:15; 5:11, 13, 20; Jd 21; D 10:3; 2 Cl 5:5; 8:4, 6; IEph 18:1; Hv 2, 3, 2; 3, 8, 4 al. Also βασιλεία αἰ. 2 Pt 1:11 (ApcPt Rainer 9; cp. Da 4:3; 7:27; Philo, Somn. 2, 285; Mel., P. 68, 493; OGI 569, 24 ὑπὲρ τῆς αἰωνίου καὶ ἀφθάρτου βασιλείας ὑμῶν; Dssm. B 279f, BS 363). Of the glory in the next life δόξα αἰ. 2 Ti 2:10; 1 Pt 5:10 (cp. Wsd 10:14; Jos., Ant. 15, 376.—SibOr 8, 410 φῶς αἰῶνιον). αἰώνιον βάρος δόξης 2 Cor 4:17; σωτηρία αἰ. (Is 45:17; Ps.-Clem., Hom. 1, 19) Hb 5:9; short ending of Mk. Of unseen glory in contrast to the transitory world of the senses τὰ μὴ βλεπόμενα αἰώνια 2 Cor 4:18.—χαρά IPhld ins; δοξάζεσθαι αἰωνίῳ ἔργῳ be glorified by an everlasting deed IPol 8:1. DHill, Gk. Words and Hebr. Mngs. ’67, 186–201; JvanderWatt, NovT 31, ’89, 217–28 (J).—DELG s.v. αἰών. M-M. TW. Sv.[1]"

The Greek "aionios" and English "eternal" are quite equivalent, but they need to be understood properly. Eternity is what is timeless or exists outside time. Here is a Greek Orthodox analysis:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is exposed throughout Scripture, by all of the Creator's Word, Plan and Purpose in Christ Jesus,

and has anyone figured out how to eliminate the false and harmful comments like the one jeff put in your post ?

LIkewise note that the enemy claims in his sig to become our enemy when he lies, by claiming to tell the truth.
look man if you are offended by idea I am sorry but I am just calling it as I see it, shoot I have been called a heretic and I am going to hell , and you dont see me crying about it. I am a big boy I can handle it , besides if your going to dish it out you have to be able to take it. Put your bigboy pants on and have a debate like grown adults . I understand that when tradition and your paradigm is challenged it can be uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
look man if you are offended by idea I am sorry but I am just calling it as I see it, shoot I have been called a heretic and I am going to hell , and you dont see me crying about it. I am a big boy I can handle it , besides if your going to dish it out you have to be able to take it.
I agree. Why are most Christians so intolerant of different ideas? "It is possible for an Orthodox Jew to believe that the souls of the righteous dead go to a place similar to the Christian heaven, or that they are reincarnated through many lifetimes, or that they simply wait until the coming of the messiah, when they will be resurrected. Likewise, Orthodox Jews can believe that the souls of the wicked are tormented by demons of their own creation, or that wicked souls are simply destroyed at death, ceasing to exist."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Why are most Christians so intolerant of different ideas? "It is possible for an Orthodox Jew to believe that the souls of the righteous dead go to a place similar to the Christian heaven, or that they are reincarnated through many lifetimes, or that they simply wait until the coming of the messiah, when they will be resurrected. Likewise, Orthodox Jews can believe that the souls of the wicked are tormented by demons of their own creation, or that wicked souls are simply destroyed at death, ceasing to exist."

The way I understand it God is infinite and we have finite minds , so when the Scriptures were given God had to take a infinite concept and explain it in a way finite humans could grasp . That is why we have so many ideas about scripture and what its saying , if it were as cut and dry as some say there would be no debate or at least very little.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The definition of "eternal" that I posted is from Mirriam-Webster's dictionary:

One of the definitions in your source is "in the reign of God" and also "of unseen glory in contrast to the transitory world of the senses":
"in the Reign of God: ζωὴ αἰ. (Orig., C. Cels. 2, 77, 3) Mt 19:16, 29; 25:46; Mk 10:17, 30; Lk 10:25; 18:18, 30; J 3:15f, 36; 4:14, 36; 5:24, 39; 6:27, 40, 47, 54, 68; 10:28; 12:25, 50; 17:2f; Ac 13:46, 48; Ro 2:7; 5:21; 6:22f; Gal 6:8; 1 Ti 1:16; 6:12; Tit 1:2; 3:7; 1J 1:2; 2:25; 3:15; 5:11, 13, 20; Jd 21; D 10:3; 2 Cl 5:5; 8:4, 6; IEph 18:1; Hv 2, 3, 2; 3, 8, 4 al. Also βασιλεία αἰ. 2 Pt 1:11 (ApcPt Rainer 9; cp. Da 4:3; 7:27; Philo, Somn. 2, 285; Mel., P. 68, 493; OGI 569, 24 ὑπὲρ τῆς αἰωνίου καὶ ἀφθάρτου βασιλείας ὑμῶν; Dssm. B 279f, BS 363). Of the glory in the next life δόξα αἰ. 2 Ti 2:10; 1 Pt 5:10 (cp. Wsd 10:14; Jos., Ant. 15, 376.—SibOr 8, 410 φῶς αἰῶνιον). αἰώνιον βάρος δόξης 2 Cor 4:17; σωτηρία αἰ. (Is 45:17; Ps.-Clem., Hom. 1, 19) Hb 5:9; short ending of Mk. Of unseen glory in contrast to the transitory world of the senses τὰ μὴ βλεπόμενα αἰώνια 2 Cor 4:18.—χαρά IPhld ins; δοξάζεσθαι αἰωνίῳ ἔργῳ be glorified by an everlasting deed IPol 8:1. DHill, Gk. Words and Hebr. Mngs. ’67, 186–201; JvanderWatt, NovT 31, ’89, 217–28 (J).—DELG s.v. αἰών. M-M. TW. Sv.[1]"
The Greek "aionios" and English "eternal" are quite equivalent, but they need to be understood properly. Eternity is what is timeless or exists outside time. Here is a Greek Orthodox analysis:
I tried to read your second link but stopped when I got to this,
"Placed in this context, we can see that the word aionion in Matthew 25:46 means “age” in the sense of “the age to come”. Existence in that age to come will be qualitatively different than existence in this present age,"​
"aionios" is an adjective, "age" is a noun. In the Eastern Greek Orthodox NT [EOB] "aionios" is translated "eternal."
Link to EOB online:

Andrewn
Andrewn
In post #107 I wrote to you, "The Greek "aionios" and English "eternal" are quite equivalent, but they need to be understood properly. Eternity is what is timeless or exists outside time."

IOW, eternal / aionios does not always mean endless or forever.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The false gospel you continually promote in posts, threads and comments is not permitted anywhere the righteous are ruling. It makes you according to Jesus anathema for bringing a false gospel, it destroys souls daily.
isn't that the same thing that the pharisees told Jesus and his disciples ? and the catholic church said of the reformers during what we call the reformation. I personally think its time for a new reformation one in which Jesus is King and Savior and He gets all that He paid for! Every knee should bow of those in heaven, and those on earth, and those under the earth, and every tongue gladly confess that Jesus is Lord Phil 2:10-11

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not at all. By your own admission / your own posts, You have joined with a known and declared anti-gospel, false gospel belief,
and
You have posted continually opposed to Jesus, things directly contrary to YHVH'S WORD,
not at
all like Jesus and the followers of Jesus who always agreed with YHVH and His Word.
thats what your tradition teaches you , I follow the tradition of the early church fathers and they did not all think that the tradition that you hold to was the best way to understand God and the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thats what your tradition teaches you , I follow the tradition of the early church fathers and they did not all think that the tradition that you hold to was the best way to understand God and the scriptures.

No, not at all, and you follow the tradition proven thousand of years ago to be false gospel, anathema you are continuing to be. The false gospel never did become UNfalse, nor did it ever become able to save not even one soul, rather it destroys multitudes of souls daily, and you are part of that destruction, whether on purpose wittingly, or unwittingly unaware...

You go directly contrary to all Scripture, and twist words like satan does to try to make it okay.
can you back up your claims with examples ? I am on several UR sights and I have not once seen where anyone has rejected Jesus because we believe he is a loving God and His will is that none parish but that all come to life, Just the opposite is what I have seen , there are many testimonies of people who walked away from God because they could not love a God who would create people He knew were going to reject him and he was going to torcher them forever, and he creates them anyway , but when they find out that God will eventually redeem his whole creation ( Acts 3:21) they come back to Jesus and they follow him as he asked us to do. What you are doing is adding to the gospel by saying its Jesus plus a belief in a eternal torcher chamber, and if you dont believe God is going to torcher alot or even some of his creation forever you are not saved. Do you really believe that? This way of understanding God and scripture is very much the same as most people who call themselves Christian only we dont see the lake of fire as a eternal state only a refinery . Will God send someone to hell for believing he is more loving and more powerful than a tradition says he is?

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Adam and Eve, or Moses or Abraham, or the messengers of YHVH , the Apostles, or the Prophets,
talked and talked and talked with hasatan himself, it would be like talking with anyone who brings a false destructive gospel - anathema ...
so you have no examples its just your opinion then ? Its ok to have an opinion but by what evidence did you make it on? You said UR destroys multitudes of souls daily but you give no examples.

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is one of them. It is very devastating and time consuming and destructive once it gets any foothold in an assembly or internet site. It has proven to be only destructive, not at all helpful to anyone ever, at all. It is anathema, as Jesus says clearly.
How is it destructive to read all these scriptures believing what they say with out having to add or subtract words or make things up so they dont say what they say? JOHN 4:42/JOHN 17:2/ROM 11:32/ 1 COR 15:21-28/2COR5:14-19/JOHN12:47/ROM5:8/1TIM2:3-6/1JOHN2:2/1TIM4:9-11/PHIL2:10-11/ACTS3:21-25/COL1:19-22/MATT17:11/JOHN12:32/2PET 3:19/JOHN3:35/JOHN6:37-39 AND MATT11:32 All these verses we believe to be true as written if this is anathema I dont think that word means what you think it means.

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believing a false gospel results in not seeking to be saved, not repenting of being anathema, thus eternally cursed.
so believing God can save all his creation can keep you from being saved? Thats strange maybe my Bible is in error because my Bible says that to be saved you have to believe, place your trust in Jesus, that he died and rose again and is now at Home with the father, believe with your mouth and confess with your lips Jesus is Lord . My Bible is missing the part that said and believe that God will torcher those who dont understand.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is it destructive to read all these scriptures believing what they say with out having to add or subtract words or make things up so they dont say what they say? JOHN 4:42/JOHN 17:2/ROM 11:32/ 1 COR 15:21-28/2COR5:14-19/JOHN12:47/ROM5:8/1TIM2:3-6/1JOHN2:2/1TIM4:9-11/PHIL2:10-11/ACTS3:21-25/COL1:19-22/MATT17:11/JOHN12:32/2PET 3:19/JOHN3:35/JOHN6:37-39 AND MATT11:32 All these verses we believe to be true as written if this is anathema I dont think that word means what you think it means.
John 3:15-16
Matthew 7:21-23
Matthew 25:46
Jeremiah 13:11-14
Romans 1:24
Romans 1:26
Romans 1:28

Upvote 0

Jeff Saunders

May 1, 2022
Tennessee
✟37,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 3:15-16
Matthew 7:21-23
Matthew 25:46
Jeremiah 13:11-14
Romans 1:24
Romans 1:26
Romans 1:28
as for john 3:15-16 and the Matt 25:46 you know what I believe its not eternal ( and please dont copy and paste the list I have seen it many times) as for Matt 7:21-23 I agree that is going to happen at the end of this age but its not the end of the story . as for Jeremiah I have no idea what that has to do with this discussion. same with Rom 1:24 and 26 . Romans 1:28 I would say you need to look into the mirror when you read that but I do not believe it has anything to do with this discussion.

Upvote 0