Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Given there has been such a huge push/evangelistic fervor when it comes to Universalism on Christian Forums lately, I thought this article might be of some interest to some of you. I consider Universalism a dangerous and false gospel which is probably no secret.

Michael McClymond decries the rising popularity of an idea Christians have rejected for most of church history.

Rob Bell made a splash in 2011 with the release of Love Wins, a book that challenged settled Christian understandings of heaven, hell, and divine judgment. But as many critics pointed out in response, Bell’s musings about universal salvation relied on arguments that have been advanced—and mostly condemned—throughout church history. What explains the recent resurgence in self-described Christians affirming (or at least flirting with) universalism? In The Devil’s Redemption: A New History and Interpretation of Christian Universalism, scholar Michael McClymond sets out to answer this question by following the roots of universalist thought all the way back to the second century. His comprehensive, two-volume account maps out universalism’s development down through the centuries and critiques it on theological and philosophical grounds. Paul Copan, professor of philosophy and ethics at Palm Beach Atlantic University, spoke with McClymond about his book.

How do you understand the term universalism?

In theological usage, universalism is the doctrine that all human beings—and perhaps all intelligent or volitional beings—will come to final salvation and spend an eternity with heaven in God. This is a theory about a final outcome, and it leaves open the way that this outcome might be attained. One reason my book is so lengthy is that there have been many different kinds of arguments for universal salvation over the last 1,800 years. At certain points, these arguments conflict with one another, so that if someone claims to be a universalist, you might ask: “What sort of universalist are you?”

One division is between the belief that everyone goes immediately to heaven at the moment of death (called “ultra-universalism”) and the belief that many or most people first undergo postmortem suffering (a view I call “purgationism”). This issue was fiercely debated in America during the 19th century, and universalists have never been able to resolve it.

The more robust arguments for universalism hold that God’s purposes in creating the world will fail if even one intelligent creature should finally be separated from God. This line of reasoning implies that not only human sinners but also fallen angels will finally be saved. The title of my book, The Devil’s Redemption, is an allusion to that idea.

What prompted you to write on the topic of universalism?

Continued below.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Given there has been such a huge push/evangelistic fervor when it comes to Universalism on Christian Forums lately, I thought this article might be of some interest to some of you. I consider Universalism a dangerous and false gospel which is probably no secret.

Michael McClymond decries the rising popularity of an idea Christians have rejected for most of church history.

Rob Bell made a splash in 2011 with the release of Love Wins, a book that challenged settled Christian understandings of heaven, hell, and divine judgment. But as many critics pointed out in response, Bell’s musings about universal salvation relied on arguments that have been advanced—and mostly condemned—throughout church history. What explains the recent resurgence in self-described Christians affirming (or at least flirting with) universalism? In The Devil’s Redemption: A New History and Interpretation of Christian Universalism, scholar Michael McClymond sets out to answer this question by following the roots of universalist thought all the way back to the second century. His comprehensive, two-volume account maps out universalism’s development down through the centuries and critiques it on theological and philosophical grounds. Paul Copan, professor of philosophy and ethics at Palm Beach Atlantic University, spoke with McClymond about his book.

How do you understand the term universalism?

In theological usage, universalism is the doctrine that all human beings—and perhaps all intelligent or volitional beings—will come to final salvation and spend an eternity with heaven in God. This is a theory about a final outcome, and it leaves open the way that this outcome might be attained. One reason my book is so lengthy is that there have been many different kinds of arguments for universal salvation over the last 1,800 years. At certain points, these arguments conflict with one another, so that if someone claims to be a universalist, you might ask: “What sort of universalist are you?”

One division is between the belief that everyone goes immediately to heaven at the moment of death (called “ultra-universalism”) and the belief that many or most people first undergo postmortem suffering (a view I call “purgationism”). This issue was fiercely debated in America during the 19th century, and universalists have never been able to resolve it.

The more robust arguments for universalism hold that God’s purposes in creating the world will fail if even one intelligent creature should finally be separated from God. This line of reasoning implies that not only human sinners but also fallen angels will finally be saved. The title of my book, The Devil’s Redemption, is an allusion to that idea.

What prompted you to write on the topic of universalism?

Continued below.
Certainly we agree that universalism is false doctrine. But if we are looking for a universalist to select as a prime example of one staunchly standing in defense of universalism as if it were the right doctrine - Bell seems to be a bit too "undecided" .

here is what Wikipedia says about Bell's actual beliefs
"Bell's 2011 book, Love Wins, caused a major controversy within the evangelical community. The controversy was the subject of a Time magazine cover story and a featured article in The New York Times.[34][35][36] In the book, Bell states that "It's been clearly communicated to many that this belief (in hell as eternal, conscious torment) is a central truth of the Christian faith and to reject it is, in essence, to reject Jesus. This is misguided and toxic and ultimately subverts the contagious spread of Jesus' message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy that our world desperately needs to hear." In this book, Bell outlines a number of views of hell, including universal reconciliation. Though he does not choose any one view as his own, he states "Whatever objections a person may have of [the universalist view], and there are many, one has to admit that it is fitting, proper, and Christian to long for it." – Love Wins, p. 111​
"The book was criticized by numerous conservative evangelical figures (in particular, some reformed church leaders), such as Albert Mohler, John Piper, and David Platt, with Mohler saying that the book was "theologically disastrous" for not rejecting universalism.[37][38] Other evangelicals, such as Brian McLaren,[39][40] Greg Boyd[41] and Eugene Peterson[42][43][44] defended Bell's views. Bell denies that he is a universalist and says that he does not embrace any particular view but argues that Christians should leave room for uncertainty on the matter"​

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Discussing universalism is only allowed in the Controversial Christian Theology section.

Ironically you're trying to spread the discussion of it to other parts of CF.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Discussing universalism is only allowed in the Controversial Christian Theology section.

Ironically you're trying to spread the discussion of it to other parts of CF.
I did not realize that. Thanks for letting me know. I‘ll contact staff.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Certainly we agree that universalism is false doctrine. But if we are looking for a universalist to select as a prime example of one staunchly standing in defense of universalism as if it were the right doctrine - Bell seems to be a bit too "undecided" .

"Bell's 2011 book, Love Wins, caused a major controversy within the evangelical community. The controversy was the subject of a Time magazine cover story and a featured article in The New York Times.[34][35][36] In the book, Bell states that "It's been clearly communicated to many that this belief (in hell as eternal, conscious torment) is a central truth of the Christian faith and to reject it is, in essence, to reject Jesus. This is misguided and toxic and ultimately subverts the contagious spread of Jesus' message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy that our world desperately needs to hear." In this book, Bell outlines a number of views of hell, including universal reconciliation. Though he does not choose any one view as his own, he states "Whatever objections a person may have of [the universalist view], and there are many, one has to admit that it is fitting, proper, and Christian to long for it." – Love Wins, p. 111​
"The book was criticized by numerous conservative evangelical figures (in particular, some reformed church leaders), such as Albert Mohler, John Piper, and David Platt, with Mohler saying that the book was "theologically disastrous" for not rejecting universalism.[37][38] Other evangelicals, such as Brian McLaren,[39][40] Greg Boyd[41] and Eugene Peterson[42][43][44] defended Bell's views. Bell denies that he is a universalist and says that he does not embrace any particular view but argues that Christians should leave room for uncertainty on the matter"​

Interesting info thanks!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This caught my attention-

Even though we tend to shy away from the term heresy these days, it is correct to describe universalism as heretical?

Universalism isn’t just a theological mistake. It’s also a symptom of deeper problems. In a culture characterized by moralistic therapeutic deism, universalism fits the age we inhabit. As I argue in the book, universalism is the opiate of the theologians.

It’s the way we would want the world to be. Some imagine that a more loving and less judgmental church would be better positioned to win new adherents. Yet perfect love appeared in history—and he was crucified.

Universalism seems, then, to be fundamentally out of sync with the New Testament narrative of God’s loving initiative in Christ provoking some to faith and others to offense and even hatred. Because of its incongruence with the gospel narrative, universalism is, to my mind, not the first step off the path of orthodoxy, but perhaps—in Kevin DeYoung’s words—“the last rung for evangelicals falling off the ladder.”

Every definition of heresy implies some correlative definition of orthodoxy—of which there are many. I’m not particularly concerned with whether universalism is termed a heresy, because to me the labeling question diverts attention from the main issue, which is showing why universalism is theologically untrue and pastorally unhelpful.

In an interview on the public television series Closer to Truth, the Christian philosopher Alvin Plantinga said, “I don't myself quite believe [universalism] but I don't disbelieve it either. I think it's something that a Christian should at least hope for.” How would you assess such a statement?

Plantinga is a dexterous reasoner, and so I might not grasp all the nuances of his position. For the sake of argument, then, I’m going to presume that Plantinga’s outlook approximates the “hopeful universalism” of Balthasar. Essentially, my argument is that there are well-defined positions of universal salvation and particular salvation, and Balthasar’s effort to forge an intermediate view does not hang together conceptually.

More:

M
Mingo Bible Believer
Your suggestion that Universalism is consonant with Deism interests me. I have made the same suggestion for historical criticism and the entire industry of textual establishment, since it assumes the validity of the original manuscripts but denies the role of providence in the changes during their transmission.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians have rejected?
Don't you mean the western/Latin church?
What about the early church?

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96 German theologian- Philip Schaff, Editor: "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't know why Bell became such a big deal. Maybe it's because of whatever status/reputation he had beforehand. But in the world of Christian universalism, which I've become pretty familiar with, I virtually never hear his name brought up among the group of pastors, priests and theologians who are known to universalists. I think perhaps he went off on his own tangent or something. So he might not be the best source.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians have rejected?
Don't you mean the western/Latin church?
What about the early church?

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96 German theologian- Philip Schaff, Editor: "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
UR must've been the false doctrine the early disciples mentioned in the bible? :scratch:

Jeff Saunders
Jeff Saunders
The only system of understanding the Bible that makes God more powerful than satan a false doctrine? Maybe it’s the other way around. Which view gives God all the glory?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given there has been such a huge push/evangelistic fervor when it comes to Universalism on Christian Forums lately, I thought this article might be of some interest to some of you.
What is driving this "huge push/evangelistic fervor"? Some ACTUAL good news.
This is an expose'. Uncovering the doctrinal bias, erroneous translation work, and fear tactics of a controlling institution.
The culture is saturated with hell doctrine. Leaving humankind numb to any rational thinking on the subject.
But Christians are finally waking up to question such heinous claims about the final judgment and God's plan for humankind, which he created in his own image.

I consider Universalism a dangerous and false gospel which is probably no secret.
Christians ignorant about UR (ultimate redemption) are afraid to even try to understand it, for fear they will be swept away by God's wrath. Certainly not a healthy condition to not even be allowed to discuss it. Even on the CFs it has been limited to this area.

Do you actually know anything about UR, or are you caught up in the anti-Universalism hysteria?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know why Bell became such a big deal. Maybe it's because of whatever status/reputation he had beforehand. But in the world of Christian universalism, which I've become pretty familiar with, I virtually never hear his name brought up among the group of pastors, priests and theologians who are known to universalists. I think perhaps he went off on his own tangent or something. So he might not be the best source.
That's a great point. Here's a video with some of the leading figures in UR. Sadly, Brad Jersak does not appear. My only complaint with this presentation.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that the topic title is a spin on a karl marx quote. The opiate of theologians?

The topic suggest withholding pain relief (opiates) for their "reality" of hell, against "an idea Christians have rejected for most of church history." Thus blaming Christians for the hell doctrine. Maybe we need to dig a bit deeper. From whence did this monster emerge?

Loved ones burning alive for all eternity with no hope of escape? No problem. Not my problem anyway. Right? (feel the love)

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This doctrine really seems put our intellects in conflict with the sovereignty of God. In the past there seemed to be an emphasis on almost guaranteed hell ( sinners in hands of an angry god or something). Now it seems God will just love us into heaven.

While I believe God has always even provided fallen man an opportunity to be saved, fallen man could always choose to do evil. Before Jesus Christ, I believe, there was more uncertainty. Ezekiel 18:4-9 is a major testimony (I believe). Since Jesus Christ there is less room for excuse since more people will be accountable but what St. Paul preached in Romans 2:1-29 holds to the Lord’s second coming.

The Lord tells us not to judge ( Matthew 7:1-12) but Ezekiel was also told to be a watchman ( Ezekiel 3:17-21). The apostles were, I believe, given much of the same role ( John 20:20-23).

Is it not a dangerous thing to give anyone a false sense of security? Sure we are not all ordained ministers but in every aspect of our living faith do we not need to reflect the Lord’s great commission in even the slightest way?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts are that Rob Bell was instrumental - along with the Emerging Church - in the early 2010's for bringing in a new view of Christianity that has unfortunately infiltrated a lot of orthodox/traditional churches.
This not only includes views on Universalism, but also on practices of contemplative prayer, Lectio Divina and general seeking of 'getting back' to something that has supposedly been lost.
The focus is on the seekers experience, rather than the Word of God. It just so happens to also be profitable, as evidenced by the wealth of material available for sale.
Universalism as a Lure? The Emerging Case of Rob Bell

It gives me no joy to "call out" certain people or practices, but anything that takes away from, distorts or dilutes God's Word must be viewed with suspicion.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In theological usage, universalism is the doctrine that all human beings—and perhaps all intelligent or volitional beings—will come to final salvation and spend an eternity with heaven in God. This is a theory about a final outcome, and it leaves open the way that this outcome might be attained.
Yes, the details are a bit sketchy, since we only have a Damnationist biased scripture translation to work from. It seems that divine providence left us the few scraps we have to put this puzzle together. If the canon had been assembled by the eastern church we would have a much different situation. Damnationists trying to make their point with a Universalist biased text, or an accurate text. Especially the NT text. The Greek speaking eastern church was much better equipped to make this happen than the Latin speaking western church.

Don't assume that the early church was wrong, or that the consensus of the western church and the Protestantism it birthed is correct. Need to dig deeper.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It gives me no joy to "call out" certain people or practices, but anything that takes away from, distorts or dilutes God's Word must be viewed with suspicion.
Witch hunt?

• Winner
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,653,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My thoughts are that Rob Bell was instrumental - along with the Emerging Church - in the early 2010's for bringing in a new view of Christianity that has unfortunately infiltrated a lot of orthodox/traditional churches.
This not only includes views on Universalism, but also on practices of contemplative prayer, Lectio Divina and general seeking of 'getting back' to something that has supposedly been lost.
The focus is on the seekers experience, rather than the Word of God. It just so happens to also be profitable, as evidenced by the wealth of material available for sale.
Universalism as a Lure? The Emerging Case of Rob Bell

I could not of said it better.

The Gospel is too precious and important to be commodified in this manner. The questions he asks are too important to leave so tantalizingly unanswered. Universalism is a heresy, not a lure to use in order to sell books. This much we know, almost a month before the book is to be released.

Upvote 0