How truthful is the Bible?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Read Genesis 50:3 "taking a full forty days, for that was the time required for embalming. And the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days".

I looked it up. Here's the link:

Mummies of Ancient Egypt: How are Mummies Made?

If the website is historically accurate (it has edu in the name), that's freaking me out. It seems that the ancient Hebrews actually knew what the ancient Egyptians were doing.

Also, take a look at this:

Genesis 50
19 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God?
20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children."

Hmmm... that sounds like something Jesus would say. I can see how some Christians would argue that the Old Testament contains the Proto-Evangelion or Proto-Gospel. On the other hand, I may be misreading the whole passage.

Last edited:

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, number one, of course the ancient Israelites knew what the Egyptians were doing - they lived among them for generations.

As for the second part - yes, there are "types" of Jesus all through the old testament, as well as prophecies that were fulfilled by his short life on earth. You are not reading too much into it.

The Bible is 100% true. That is not to say that it is 100% literal; there is poetic language in places, and we have to realize that the purpose of it is to communicate God's heart and character to humans.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Genesis 50:3 "taking a full forty days, for that was the time required for embalming. And the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days".

I looked it up. Here's the link:

Mummies of Ancient Egypt: How are Mummies Made?

If the website is historically accurate (it has edu in the name), that's freaking me out. It seems that the ancient Hebrews actually knew what the ancient Egyptians were doing.

Also, take a look at this:

Genesis 50
19 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God?
20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children."

Hmmm... that sounds like something Jesus would say. I can see how some Christians would argue that the Old Testament contains the Proto-Evangelion or Proto-Gospel. On the other hand, I may be misreading the whole passage.

To answer the question in the header: The Bible tells the truth. Truth can and does include approximations, free quotations, language of appearances, and different accounts of the same event as long as those do not contradict.
The Moody Handbook of Theology.

Protevangelium (the first gospel message) would necessarily have to be Gen. 3:15 since the verse points to Christ the Man of Promise: Genesis 3:14-15 (ASV)
14 And Jehovah God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, cursed art thou above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15 and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

The passages in Gen.50 that you quoted are more of a witness to the accuracy of Joseph's prophetic dreams and God's faithfulness to him. Also I think the Joseph narrative is designed to explain and account for Israel's presence in Egypt.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One needs to start with the understanding that our Creator-God did not leave mankind without knowledge of God, the way of eternal salvation, and the way to obey God and live for Him. If one chooses to misapply the Word of God, ignore it, or fight against it, he will only seal his doom for eternity.

The first thing one needs is to know the salvation of God in the New Testament of the Bible, then get acquainted with Him. A reading in John 1; John 3; John 14 will give a pretty good picture of what God's mind is for us, and the hope for us forever in and through the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you found that freaky, God gave instructions for how to handle disease long before we understand germs and how they work. If a man showed symptoms of disease (specifically an "unusual bodily discharge"), everyone he touches must wash themselves and they must be avoided themselves. Anything the infected touch must not be touched by anyone else, or else they will also be "unclean." Everything must be washed with water. Eight days after the symptoms stop, he will be considered clean again.

This can be found in Leviticus 15:1-15.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Bible is, we confess, true in what it is trying to teach us. That is, in carrying and containing God's Word to and for us. However there are plenty of things Scripture simply isn't interested in answering--science for example.

"The Bible teaches us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go." - Caesar Baronius, 16th century.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If you found that freaky, God gave instructions for how to handle disease long before we understand germs and how they work. If a man showed symptoms of disease (specifically an "unusual bodily discharge"), everyone he touches must wash themselves and they must be avoided themselves. Anything the infected touch must not be touched by anyone else, or else they will also be "unclean." Everything must be washed with water. Eight days after the symptoms stop, he will be considered clean again.

This can be found in Leviticus 15:1-15.

Huh. Has that quote ever been used in justifying the sentiment or position against masturbation? Back in the 19th century, doctors prescribed an illness known as "masturbational insanity".

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Huh. Has that quote ever been used in justifying the sentiment or position against masturbation? Back in the 19th century, doctors prescribed an illness known as "masturbational insanity".

Not sure about that question in particular, but the holiness code in general has been used that way. Of course the holiness code wasn't really thinking of masturbation specifically. 2-17 appears to be abnormal discharges due to disease, and 16-18 normal emissions. (16-18 was interpreted to include intercourse, apparently.) I'm not aware of any Biblical passages that actually deal with masturbation separate from other emissions, though several are misused in that way.

Yes, I'm aware of 19th Cent insanity in this area. (I would diagnose the doctors as the insane ones.) The attitude persists among some people today, but not in the extreme form it seems to have reached in the 19th Cent.

Upvote 0

PureDose

Pinball Wizard
Sep 18, 2012
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Joseph was very much like Jesus.

We now know that these people had the Spirit of Jesus in them is why.

Everything Jesus said is in line with the Law and Prophets.

However, there is much - mostly in the Law - which can be incredibly confusing to people. Largely because of 'not considering circumstances'.

Though, I personally find the stories highly inspiring, and absolutely with a ring of truth.

What other religion on the face of the planet condemns their own people?

That itself is a major ring of truth, but the whole thing reads like it is true.

People can excise certain quotes, to be sure, but they have to wrest it from the context.

Human beings deceive themselves and, fact is, there are spirits with access to everyone who deceives them inwardly as well.

Upvote 0