How to write a movie script? (Please advise if I'm in the wrong thread)

JesseFrank

Mar 15, 2017
Dothan, Alabama
Visit site
✟16,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to make movies, and I have the equipment to produce very high quality content. Only problem is that I can't write a good movie script...at all.

The last script I wrote was horrific according to my brother who is in the English honors society at our local community college. He said that there was no story to the film. Of the 49 pages I wrote he could only read to page 13 before giving up.

I'd like to believe that writing good stories comes with practice, but it took me a year and a half to write my last script.

There's also the idea of adapting books and real life stories to film, only problem is that I don't have the contacts to make a film adaptation happen without the proper copyrights in place.

Anybody out there have the ability to write a compelling narrative?

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That will alleviate many of your issues. Pick up the book, Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. It's very good.

Before you spend any money, check your public library. Most have a large writing section with many options. Devour everything you can and read a lot. It will make a huge dent in your proficiency.

Are you a member of a writing forum?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I want to make movies, and I have the equipment to produce very high quality content. Only problem is that I can't write a good movie script...at all.

The last script I wrote was horrific according to my brother who is in the English honors society at our local community college. He said that there was no story to the film. Of the 49 pages I wrote he could only read to page 13 before giving up.

I'd like to believe that writing good stories comes with practice, but it took me a year and a half to write my last script.

There's also the idea of adapting books and real life stories to film, only problem is that I don't have the contacts to make a film adaptation happen without the proper copyrights in place.

Anybody out there have the ability to write a compelling narrative?

Writing movie scripts is more technical than simply writing a narrative. The narrative is the storyline, but the characters have to be portrayed as driving the narrative. The story won't unfold without the characters making their moves, much like a chess game. Along with that you also have to show character development, arc, and growth. Essentially, show what motivates the lead character, how the character changes over time, and how the character grows.

One of the finest movies to study each of those character points is Braveheart. It details each of them, and demonstrates well how the characters drive the narrative.

There are tons of online resources for screenwriters just Google it. Also, Stephen J. Cannell has a number of articles on screewriting online that are helpful.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There's a lot of good books out there on how to write movie scripts.

There's also the idea of adapting books and real life stories to film

Starting with a good book doesn't always help. Look at how many good Michael Crichton novels have been turned into mediocre films.

Upvote 0