Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are many professing christians out there that hang their hope of salvation on an idolatrous superstitious sinners prayer and live carnal wordly lives.

How to know a false professor and how to witness to them.

YouTube - How do I witness to a nominal Christian?

sealacamp

Jun 26, 2008
Fairburn Georgia
✟2,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The man on the video claims that people were saved due to works, which in my view is wrong.

That view is substantiated by scripture as well.

Genesis 15

6 And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.

There are a couple of other similar scriptures in the old testament but I can't recall them right off hand. I do know that no one has ever been saved by works because no one has ever been able to live a perfect life but one. It is necessary to be perfect in every way for works to save a person but it is beyond the ability of man to perform perfection.

Ecclesiastes 7

Not a single person on earth is always good and never sins.

That being the case works are useless as far as salvation is concerned.

Sealacamp

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I started to listen to the video but had to go. I will get back to it when I can. I do want to say though that the preaching of the Gospel isn't about building church membership or even just getting people saved. Gospel preaching isn't just directed at the unsaved. The Gospel of Christ is the whole council of God. When a man faithfully preaches the Word of God he preaches Christ constantly and continually. The Gospel speaks to both the saved and the unsaved. Christ in all His glorious person and work according to the sovereign purpose and grace of God concerning His elect will rebuke, exort, edify, comfort, teach, humble, motivate, correct and every other thing that is needful. How do you deal with believers? You preach Christ to them. How do you deal with unbelievers? You preach Christ to them. How do you deal with nominal christians who may be decieved? You preach Christ to them. You preach Christ and leave the rest to the Spirit.

Reactions: TimRout
Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm listening to it, fivesolas, and at about 10:36 and on I heard an error which pertains to how people in the OT were saved. The man on the video claims that people were saved due to works, which in my view is wrong. But I'll keep listening to it. I don't mean to strain at gnats and swallow a camel here, but just saying..=]

I know this guys theology and i think its just a matter of him not taking the time to clarify. There are indeed two covenants. Works & Grace, but the remnant have always been saved by grace, both in the OT periods and now.

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I started to listen to the video but had to go. I will get back to it when I can. I do want to say though that the preaching of the Gospel isn't about building church membership or even just getting people saved. Gospel preaching isn't just directed at the unsaved. The Gospel of Christ is the whole council of God. When a man faithfully preaches the Word of God he preaches Christ constantly and continually. The Gospel speaks to both the saved and the unsaved. Christ in all His glorious person and work according to the sovereign purpose and grace of God concerning His elect will rebuke, exort, edify, comfort, teach, humble, motivate, correct and every other thing that is needful. How do you deal with believers? You preach Christ to them. How do you deal with unbelievers? You preach Christ to them. How do you deal with nominal christians who may be decieved? You preach Christ to them. You preach Christ and leave the rest to the Spirit.

Well said brother Ron. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Gus2009

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,346.00
Faith
Baptist
It is necessary to be perfect in every way for works to save a person but it is beyond the ability of man to perform perfection.

Sealacamp

I know this is hypthoetical in the extreme, but im not sure if i really agree with that. I would imagine if somone could be "perfect" it still would not be enough, man lives in a fallen state and nothing that he could ever do would make him worthy of Gods grace. Although, maybe one could argue that because man lives in a fallen state, that is why he is incapable of perfection. One is intrinsic to the other perhaps? Thats a very interesting theological question. If somehow one was to be "perfect" would they be worthy of salvation? I guess you could say that Jesus who was a man, lived a perfect life, but on the other hand, Jesus is God. Maybe its an irelevant question, im not sure. Maybe there is an answer to this in the Bible and im just not aware of it. Maybe the question is completely illogical. Like asking what blue taste like. One could not be a sinful human and live a perfect life by definition.

Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know this is hypthoetical in the extreme, but im not sure if i really agree with that. I would imagine if somone could be "perfect" it still would not be enough, man lives in a fallen state and nothing that he could ever do would make him worthy of Gods grace. Although, maybe one could argue that because man lives in a fallen state, that is why he is incapable of perfection. One is intrinsic to the other perhaps? Thats a very interesting theological question. If somehow one was to be "perfect" would they be worthy of salvation? I guess you could say that Jesus who was a man, lived a perfect life, but on the other hand, Jesus is God. Maybe its an irrelevant question, im not sure. Maybe there is an answer to this in the Bible and im just not aware of it. Maybe the question is completely illogical. Like asking what blue taste like. One could not be a sinful human and live a perfect life by definition.
Biblically, we sin as a result of our fleshly nature. Jesus, the sinless God-Man, possessed a human nature but not a sinful one. Therefore, there is a sense in which one might say, a sinless man does not need to be saved.

Upvote 0
L

LST 1154

Biblically, we sin as a result of our fleshly nature. Jesus, the sinless God-Man, possessed a human nature but not a sinful one. Therefore, there is a sense in which one might say, a sinless man does not need to be saved.

I agree that Christ's human nature was not a sinful one. The Roman Church explains this by teaching that Mary's conception was an "immaculate conception." According to this Catholic dogma since Mary was not conceived in sin she could not pass along the sinful nature to her Son. Some of the reformers response to this teaching is that the sinful nature is only passed on by the father and not the mother, and since Christ's Father was God there was no sin nature.

Another teaching says that Christ was born with the same nature as Adam and Eve. They were conceived without sin (and therefore had no sin nature) but they had free will and they chose sin.

LST 1154

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree that Christ's human nature was not a sinful one. The Roman Church explains this by teaching that Mary's conception was an "immaculate conception." According to this Catholic dogma since Mary was not conceived in sin she could not pass along the sinful nature to her Son. Some of the reformers response to this teaching is that the sinful nature is only passed on by the father and not the mother, and since Christ's Father was God there was no sin nature.

Another teaching says that Christ was born with the same nature as Adam and Eve. They were conceived without sin (and therefore had no sin nature) but they had free will and they chose sin.

LST 1154
Fascinating. If memory serves, another classic Reformed response to Marian perfection went something like this:

If two perfect parents produce a perfect child, then Mary's parents must also have been sinless -- as were each of Mary's four grandparents. Indeed, Mary's whole family lineage must have been filled with many hundreds of perfect people right back to Judah himself. Yet the Scriptures stipulate that Judah was a sinful man [Gen. 37:26-27]. Therefore the RC theory of Immaculate Conception is logically incoherent.

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fascinating. If memory serves, another classic Reformed response to Marian perfection went something like this:

If two perfect parents produce a perfect child, then Mary's parents must also have been sinless -- as were each of Mary's four grandparents. Indeed, Mary's whole family lineage must have been filled with many hundreds of perfect people right back to Judah himself. Yet the Scriptures stipulate that Judah was a sinful man [Gen. 37:26-27]. Therefore the RC theory of Immaculate Conception is logically incoherent.

As a former RC I can tell you that Pastor Tim is spot on here....I came to this very conclusion a long time ago. :thumbsup:

Reactions: TimRout
Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

LST 1154

Such a wide diversity of opinion it causes one to wonder does anyone really know what they are talking about ..

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to speak to this .I am a member of the Catholic Community as a member of RCIA and I just want to say that while i have trouble accepting it the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is no more logically incoherent than some other Christian doctrines; according to mans logic that is . For example the virgin birth is a logical impossibility but its true. The Ressurection of Christ is not Logical .These truths go beyond our feeble logic .. I cannot defend the doctrine itself but only the error that suggests that it is somehow any more illogical than other christian doctrines , Faith isnt about logic if it were we would all be in trouble ..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know this is hypthoetical in the extreme, but im not sure if i really agree with that. I would imagine if somone could be "perfect" it still would not be enough, man lives in a fallen state and nothing that he could ever do would make him worthy of Gods grace. Although, maybe one could argue that because man lives in a fallen state, that is why he is incapable of perfection. One is intrinsic to the other perhaps? Thats a very interesting theological question. If somehow one was to be "perfect" would they be worthy of salvation? I guess you could say that Jesus who was a man, lived a perfect life, but on the other hand, Jesus is God. Maybe its an irelevant question, im not sure. Maybe there is an answer to this in the Bible and im just not aware of it. Maybe the question is completely illogical. Like asking what blue taste like. One could not be a sinful human and live a perfect life by definition.
What Tim said is right and true but I want to elaborate a little for the sake of a better understanding why. It has to do with what is known as Federal Headship.It is taught by Paul in Rom. 5:12-19, 1Cor. 15:21,22. Adam was the federal head and representative of all who were in him, that means all who are born of Adam. When he sinned it is as though we had sinned. His sin is counted as ours. Christ is the last Adam, 1Cor. 15:45. He is also the federal head and representative of all who are in Him. When He perfectly kept the Law I did in Him. When He always did that which pleased the Father I did in Him. That is what it means to be in Christ. All of the seed of Adam are born in sin. David said that he was concieved in sin. He wasn't saying that his parents were sinning when they concieved him but that he was concieved a sinner. Psa. 51:5 We read in Psa. 58:3 that the wicked, which we all are, come forth from the womb speaking lies. Sin isn't what we do it is what we are. We commit sin because we are sin. We have no ability or inclination to keep the Law or live righteously. In Heb. 2:16 we find that Christ took on the seed of Abraham not the nature of angels or the nature of Adam btw. Our sin nature comes from being born of Adam by Eve. Christ's sinless nature came from being born apart from Adam. He is the promised seed of the woman in Gen. 3:15, the seed of Abraham through whom the whole earth would be blessed in Gen. 12:3, Gal. 3:16, the promised seed of David whose kingdom is an evelasting kingdom, 2 Sam. 7:12-16 Christ Jesus the Lord is the God-Man who is able to be perfectly righteous and bring in an evelasting righteousness as a man that God will accept. Man had sinned and man must bring in righteous. Man had sinned and man must be punished. But only the God-Man could do what was required. Our Savior must be a perfect man who needs no salvation and God whom alone could do what was required. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

LST 1154
Christ was born of a woman in order that He would be free from being Adams seed. The generations and the seed were counted from the men not the woman. The woman was taken from Adam but not born of Adam as his seed. He was also born of a woman to fulfill the promise in Gen. 3:15. His sinless nature came form His Father not from His mother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What Tim said is right and true but I want to elaborate a little for the sake of a better understanding why. It has to do with what is known as Federal Headship.It is taught by Paul in Rom. 5:12-19, 1Cor. 15:21,22. Adam was the federal head and representative of all who were in him, that means all who are born of Adam. When he sinned it is as though we had sinned. His sin is counted as ours. Christ is the last Adam, 1Cor. 15:45. He is also the federal head and representative of all who are in Him. When He perfectly kept the Law I did in Him. When He always did that which pleased the Father I did in Him. That is what it means to be in Christ. All of the seed of Adam are born in sin. David said that he was concieved in sin. He wasn't saying that his parents were sinning when they concieved him but that he was concieved a sinner. Psa. 51:5 We read in Psa. 58:3 that the wicked, which we all are, come forth from the womb speaking lies. Sin isn't what we do it is what we are. We commit sin because we are sin. We have no ability or inclination to keep the Law or live righteously. In Heb. 2:16 we find that Christ took on the seed of Abraham not the nature of angels or the nature of Adam btw. Our sin nature comes from being born of Adam by Eve. Christ's sinless nature came from being born apart from Adam. He is the promised seed of the woman in Gen. 3:15, the seed of Abraham through whom the whole earth would be blessed in Gen. 12:3, Gal. 3:16, the promised seed of David whose kingdom is an evelasting kingdom, 2 Sam. 7:12-16 Christ Jesus the Lord is the God-Man who is able to be perfectly righteous and bring in an evelasting righteousness as a man that God will accept. Man had sinned and man must bring in righteous. Man had sinned and man must be punished. But only the God-Man could do what was required. Our Savior must be a perfect man who needs no salvation and God whom alone could do what was required. :)
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to speak to this .I am a member of the Catholic Community as a member of RCIA and I just want to say that while i have trouble accepting it the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is no more logically incoherent than some other Christian doctrines; according to mans logic that is . For example the virgin birth is a logical impossibility but its true. The Ressurection of Christ is not Logical .These truths go beyond our feeble logic .. I cannot defend the doctrine itself but only the error that suggests that it is somehow any more illogical than other christian doctrines , Faith isnt about logic if it were we would all be in trouble ..
The virgin birth is clealy shown in the Scriptures, the ressurection of Christ is clearly shown in Scripture and is testified to historically, the Trinity is clearly seen in Scripture. All of these things can be logically and clearly shown from Scripture. The immaculate conception cannot be shown from Scripture and defies any logical compilation of Scripture. It is therefore illogical and unScriptural.

Upvote 0
L

LST 1154

The virgin birth is clealy shown in the Scriptures, the ressurection of Christ is clearly shown in Scripture and is testified to historically, the Trinity is clearly seen in Scripture. All of these things can be logically and clearly shown from Scripture. The immaculate conception cannot be shown from Scripture and defies any logical compilation of Scripture. It is therefore illogical and unScriptural.

Agreed 100% bro!

LST

Upvote 0