How to walk into a church for the first time?

Messianic_Friend

One for Israel
Jan 16, 2018
USA
✟9,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Go with a member, preferably, or at the behest of one.

Just go, get there early and and questions.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to come with me. What do you do at church, what is it like?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Title says it all!
I recently attended an Orthodox Church service for the first time (back in October). I knew no one there, and really didn’t know what to expect. I asked questions of some of the Orthodox folks here, and their answers were helpful. You might look into the denomination specific forum of the church you want to attend and ask some of the people here if there is anything specific to that denomination you should know before going to church.

I walked in timidly and sat at the back, and pretty much tried to “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”. I had e-mailed the priest before going, as well, and met him after the service, which was a bit helpful. If the church you want to go to has a website and email contact, you might try the same (you could always phone first, too, but I have found phone calls can be intimidating - I don’t like the phone).

Hope that is of some help.

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to come with me. What do you do at church, what is it like?

You worship God. Exactly how you go about it differs from church to church. You can call the church and ask specific questions.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi I go on the road and like to go to church when I am out of town too. I will look up the various churches and you can look on the websites and see their statement of faith which often is very correct but to really know what they are you need to listen to a teaching or two. Joel Osteen''s doctrinal statement is great but he never teaches repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

A tactic many churches have taken on is giving you more attention than you deserve and often they will have you stand up if you are a 1st time visitor and over zealous greeters will give you the double handed handshake and perhaps you will get a lot of attention. The service should be to glorify Jesus but many cults have found the technique called love bombing a new person. So when you are new they swarm you and welcome you as you are a potential new member and tither. So now some churches have followed this lead and it can be uncomfortable. I tend to know more about the church through looking them up and then I will know what to expect.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Church can be any number of things depending on who the ministry is reaching out to, the best thing to do, is go and sit down, and watch.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Title says it all!

My wife and attended over dozen different churches. The order of service is in the bulletin handed out at the door and be prepared to stand then sit, unexpectedly, with everyone else.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A tactic many churches have taken on is giving you more attention than you deserve and often they will have you stand up if you are a 1st time visitor and over zealous greeters will give you the double handed handshake and perhaps you will get a lot of attention. The service should be to glorify Jesus but many cults have found the technique called love bombing a new person. So when you are new they swarm you and welcome you as you are a potential new member and tither. So now some churches have followed this lead and it can be uncomfortable.

This would literally drive me away to never return. I do not mind being recognized as new and said "hello, you are new, welcome to our church, let me know if you have any questions", but that is about it. If they stood me up or are over zealous on entry that would make me want to leave immediately, probably before the service started.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you are unfamiliar with a church, I recommend contacting their office first and letting them know that you will be attending. Most churches have someone who is willing to meet you at the start of the service and explain the service. Some churches might have rules about visitors that you might not be aware of such as taking communion in a church that has a "members-only" policy (also known as closed communion, where you need to be a member of that church body to take communion). This also goes with services outside of Christianity. If you were to visit a Jewish service and are male, they might ask you to wear a kippah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Hi

If you are worried about going on your own, I'd echo the advice given and contact the Church up front. As others have said they may be able to meet you before the service.

In most cases though I would say it's fine to just turn up and follow along. After the service you'd usually get a chance to chat to people. Big Churches often have a welcome desk, or greeters so you could start with them. Smaller Churches, I would suggest starting with the pastor and he or she should be happy to chat for a few minutes and introduce you to a couple of people.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Title says it all!
the title

"
How to walk into a church for the first time?"

This title caught my eye.

In truth no believer has ever gone to church or walked into a church at all. The church is the body of assembled believers in Christ. The early church met in homes. We read things like greet the church which is in thy house, etc.

Gods Order in the body of Christ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messianic_Friend

One for Israel
Jan 16, 2018
USA
✟9,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you everyone. The church I plan to go to is non-denominational, and it says on their website that they welcome non-believers/exploring as well.
I am really scared to go because I have never been to a place of worship before, and being Jewish-exploring Jesus I am afraid not to have anything in common with anyone or saying something stupid.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everyone. The church I plan to go to is non-denominational, and it says on their website that they welcome non-believers/exploring as well.
I am really scared to go because I have never been to a place of worship before, and being Jewish-exploring Jesus I am afraid not to have anything in common with anyone or saying something stupid.
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open my mouth and remove all doubt”...what I often say to myself.

No need to stand out. Be respectful, as a guest in God’s house, but don’t be intimidated...God is loving and welcoming.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Find a good home meeting we’re all can share

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Jesus is the only thing the church members all have in common. And everyone there also has the fact that there was a time when they didnt believe in Jesus in common, too.

I admire your willingness to explore. I pray you will enjoy the experience.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If it were my church you were coming to, I would say:

- Get there a few minutes early if you can.
- Don't be intimidated by its size or the sheer number of people.
- Be ready to shake at least a few hands.
- We're not as formal with how we dress as a lot of other churches, "business casual" is a good rule of thumb for how you will see most people at my church. Other churches may have most men in full suits, still other churches are likely in-between.
- Please don't bring coffee into the sanctuary. There is nothing in there that can accommodate a coffee cup (yes, I have seen this).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Title says it all!

I've done this ... a few times ...

A church service is like a meeting that is open to the public.

You walk in ... find a seat, and try to catch up to what's going on.

A good church will recognize that you are a visitor (if it is not too large), but nevertheless should provide information at every service ... about what's going on, ... and how to become a part of the happenings.

At a good church, there should be some effort to make you feel welcome, and so, you should meet a few new people. If you stay long enough (or are invited to do so), you may meet the church leader.

I would advise that you take part in the proceedings, as you feel comfortable.

Finally, remember that churches have differences. If one doesn't suit your fancy, try another. You will eventually find someplace that is right for you.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
- Please don't bring coffee into the sanctuary. There is nothing in there that can accommodate a coffee cup (yes, I have seen this).

This being the coffee-shop generation, ... we should propbably do something to accomodate this ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

People are people, ... even in church.

The RIGHT CHURCH for you will be able to accomodate YOU ... so, BE YOURSELF ...

Upvote 0