✟15,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I have a simple question. I have recently started reading the bible (I'm still in Genesis...) but the issue I am having is that after reading a section I don't know exactly how to apply to my life.

I have some luck with a local Christian radio station which I listen to on my way to work, but at 20 minutes per day of explanation I will not get much of an understanding.

Right now I can (kinda) get the jist of a point but how do people read a passage in the bible and then say "this means I need to do xyz in my life"??

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

I have a simple question. I have recently started reading the bible (I'm still in Genesis...) but the issue I am having is that after reading a section I don't know exactly how to apply to my life.

I have some luck with a local Christian radio station which I listen to on my way to work, but at 20 minutes per day of explanation I will not get much of an understanding.

Right now I can (kinda) get the jist of a point but how do people read a passage in the bible and then say "this means I need to do xyz in my life"??

Hi Faller. Just realize that many of the things in the Bible aren't written for us (the reader) to apply. Rather, much of what is written is there to inform us of additional ideas beyond just "how" to follow God's Will in our lives. Some of it is simply written to help us form a conception of what the spiritual nature is of the world in which we live, where it has come from, who the key players have been as God has moved His people through History, and where it's all going to end up through the Providential work of Christ and the Holy Spirit; of course, in the mix of all of that is some other stuff that directly applies to us, such as, "Hey you, love others as you love yourself!" ;)

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If it helps, I usually recommend people read Psalms and Proverbs for wisdom. Our afflictions are common to all, even in the modern world. There is nothing new under the sun.

For me, attending Mass is beneficial since the homily will usually apply that day's various scripture readings in practical terms. Connections I wouldn't have thought to make are often made by the homily.

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes its based on situations going on in your life, that certain passages draws you in, or you find more value later on in life. Or sometimes you have a question in mind, and thats how you get drawn into a certain book or books of the Bible. So understanding your frame of mind, or your motive in reading is good to identify.

The other part is to understand the framework of the Word itself. The Bible isn't just a step-by-step instruction, these are books inspired by God, but have different authors, with different authors, and different style of writing. Some books are more poetic, and some are more step-by-step, some are allegory, and some are more direct accounts. There's themes, design patterns, narratives, parables, cross references, the styles goes on so it is a very rich book.

So alot of people, I would argue most times, don't know if they need to know a certain that they are reading. But part of it, besides not seeing the need at the time, is because usually we are not taught to go with a reading plan, and part of it is because we often read without getting the gist of the big picture nor the intent of the writer when reading it.

A good way to start is to jot down your questions or concerns. Going with a goal that is more personal, will make it easier for you to take in the Word. Its not a sprint, is a marathon so allow yourself to learn as you live out your life. So then approaching the Word its, make sure that you first know the big picture, if you can find a good youtube video even to give you a gist of what each book's theme and style is, I think it will help you have better direction. Once you know which book contains what type of insight/message, and you have the questions you want to seek out, then it will be easier to navigate through the text.

The Bible Project Channel on Youtube is excellence on giving a gist of the Bible and its cohesiveness throughout the Word.

The Bible Project

Also for inspiration, this sermon discusses why God gave us such a tough text to us. This is one of my favorite sermons to date, and I hope it inspires you to get to know more about the heart of God and how to desire more of the things of God.

Why God Inspired Hard Texts

Usually, Psalms and Proverbs are good places to start since they are considered the wisdom books if I was to recommend. But Genesis is good too.

Also make an effort to memorize a verse or two that sticks out to you or write it down.i'm learning to do this, because sometimes when I hit a tough situation, the Word is my only saving grace.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

God bless Joshua

Nov 16, 2017
Sabah
✟19,493.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The point of following Jesus is to have a meek, loving and forgiving heart, what good is to know all verses if we dont hv humility toward God and others ?

Matt 5:45 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get ?

Matt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit (humility,have absolutely nothing of worth to offer to God) for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

Hi faller, it is good that you are reading the Bible. I don’t know that starting in the beginning is necessarily the best plan for you if you are new to Christianity. You might want to consider John, Luke, and Romans as a foundation. In any case until you develop academic skills of your own the internet is a very good source of information. It has free access to Bible commentaries and you can search a scripture on a search engine and learn much. You might want to research Christian meditation and contemplation methods that can help you gain more from your reading and help you apply it to your life. Enjoy your reading and your time with God. Faith comes by the word and also the Word. Blessings

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

One other thing. Your status indicates you are a seeker. And no offense but I've never figured out just what that's supposed to mean.

So please don't take the following remarks as me talking down to you or being mean. I'm not trying to disrespect you. But I hope you understand that the Bible isn't a cohesive narrative with a traditional beginning, middle and end. Rather, the Bible is a compilation of sacred scripture that was written by different people in different places over a very long period of time.

The various texts included in the Bible are not necessarily presented in chronological order and they do not necessarily tie-in with each other in the ways which fictional prose novels probably would.

All of this is a long way of saying that reading the Bible cover-to-cover can be a commendable practice. But it's not necessarily the best way for someone who is unfamiliar with sacred scripture or else new to Christianity to begin studying and exploring God's written word.

Assuming you're new to the faith (and I'm not sure), I would recommend starting off with the gospels and moving on to the epistles. After that, Psalms and Proverbs are useful in the Wisdom Literature category. Feel free to read the scriptures in any order you want after that.

The scriptures are a bottomless well of insight and understanding. There is much to be gained and nothing to be lost in reading them. But it can sometimes be challenging for someone who isn't familiar with it.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

I have a simple question. I have recently started reading the bible (I'm still in Genesis...)

Great! Although I'd probably start with the New Testament. And perhaps using a "study Bible."

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would have recommended to begin with the New Testament. However, I personally enjoy finding Jesus in the Old Testament. It's amazing to see him everywhere! I also highly recommend The Bible Project videos as suggested by a previous poster.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Faller. I am not sure that that is the best way to read the Bible for the first time.

Many people have read it through many times and feel that they learn something new or appreciate the messages in greater depth with each reading.

From where you are now, I would recommend just reading it with ordinary attention and see where it takes you. The Bible is like a history book or a novel in structure in that it is chronological. A story unfolds. The conclusion is not instantly upon you after the first chapter or two.

Keep an open mind and do not worry about every detail as though you were preparing for an exam in school, but let the account develop at its own pace. It will make sense. (You might even take the unofficial "short course" through the Bible if you want the overview before going back for the details. Read (in order) Genesis and Exodus, then Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John, followed by the rest of the New Testament.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
One other thing. Your status indicates you are a seeker. And no offense but I've never figured out just what that's supposed to mean.

So please don't take the following remarks as me talking down to you or being mean. I'm not trying to disrespect you. But I hope you understand that the Bible isn't a cohesive narrative with a traditional beginning, middle and end. Rather, the Bible is a compilation of sacred scripture that was written by different people in different places over a very long period of time.

The various texts included in the Bible are not necessarily presented in chronological order and they do not necessarily tie-in with each other in the ways which fictional prose novels probably would.

All of this is a long way of saying that reading the Bible cover-to-cover can be a commendable practice. But it's not necessarily the best way for someone who is unfamiliar with sacred scripture or else new to Christianity to begin studying and exploring God's written word.

Assuming you're new to the faith (and I'm not sure), I would recommend starting off with the gospels and moving on to the epistles. After that, Psalms and Proverbs are useful in the Wisdom Literature category. Feel free to read the scriptures in any order you want after that.

The scriptures are a bottomless well of insight and understanding. There is much to be gained and nothing to be lost in reading them. But it can sometimes be challenging for someone who isn't familiar with it.

Hope that helps.

Yeah he's new to the faith, i think he just announced on here yesterday that he accepted Jesus after being an atheist before. So I guess now he's seeking. "Christian seeker", as oppose to just "Seeker"

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And often the point of a passage is not "I need to do xyz in my life." Often, the message is "this is what God did."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would have recommended to begin with the New Testament. However, I personally enjoy finding Jesus in the Old Testament. It's amazing to see him everywhere! I also highly recommend The Bible Project videos as suggested by a previous poster.
Hi; Messianic passages in the Old Testament are remarkable! :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would submit that trying to find an application isn't necessarily always the best approach.

After Christ rose from the dead He was walking down a road with two men. They didn't know that He was Jesus, and told Him about the events that had just taken place (about Jesus). Jesus then began going through the Scriptures, showing them how all the Scriptures told about how He was to suffer then enter into glory.

Luke 24:27 "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself."

All the Scriptures show us Christ. My own advice is that when we read them we should seek to find Christ, and for that to be an end in and of itself.

Upvote 0

Tomb523

Jul 6, 2018
Atlanta
✟10,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

I had a similar issue. I had decided to read the bible front to back and take notes on what it was telling me. In Genesis, it started out awesome. I took pages and pages of notes and learning's until chapter 12 and it was like hitting a wall. I fumbled and struggled. It was a good story, but what was God trying to tell me? I just continued to read, but my note taking stopped completely.

Then I heard a sermon entitled Peanut Butter Prayer. It was a sort of mnemonic for Pray the Bible. I went back to chapter 12 and I read it again and then began to pray it back to God. Abram and Lot were both wealthy and the land couldn't support them together, so they had to split up. God gave them great wealth and had them to "be fruitful and multiply throughout the world (yet, I know not huge, but themes in the bible are repetitive). Then Lot gets taken by warring kings (Israel is imprisoned as slaves after years of sojourning in Egypt). Abram rescue Lot and his family (God brings Israel out of Egypt). Suddenly, a story began to make sense in what God promises and what God delivers.

In our own life, its not that we won't have problems, but when we do, God will provide the means for our rescue so long as our faith remains strong. Job went through tremendous testing and turmoil, but in the end, God blessed him far greater than his blessing before because he remained faithful to God.

Pray the bible back to God (which one of us doesn't like to hear our own words, uh?) and He will reveal His message back to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Gell
Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Pray the bible back to God (which one of us doesn't like to hear our own words, uh?) and He will reveal His message back to you.
Wonderful! I think most of our devotions are basically grounded with reading the Bible and it is best to ask the Lord to enlighten us of a certain passage we find difficult to comprehend.
This is so basic but I tend to forget that sometimes.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I will begin my response with this.
Rom 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, so that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So first despite what others might have said to you, the entire bible is valuable. You have to try to understand the principles that are being demonstrated when u read the bible. You might read the story about Noah and the flood and from that you can learn many things. You can learn that there will be times in your life that you have to stand up for God against the crowd and you have to resolute in your stand for God. You can also learn that it is important to lead your family the right way so that in the end they could be saved too. Noah saved his entire family, but Lot did not. Lot chose to go into an ungodly territory and his wife and daughters become caught up in the ways of Sodom. Even though his daughters made it out of the city, they were so corrupted they got him drunk and had sex with him. So are you going to find a lesson in every single verse or passage? Maybe not. For instance, there are a few passages that just show you who begat who, that's not really something you can apply to your life but is there for information.

What might help you is to read and study the bible based on a topic or story. So you might read one of Jesus' parables or you might read the story of Jacob and Esau. If you are reading the bible sequencially, you are bound to arrive at certain passages that you can't really apply.

Upvote 0