• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to Tell a Therapist Your Scariest Thoughts

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are the most effective (non-pharmaceutical) methods for warding off intrusive thoughts ?..
CBT and ERP therapy!! I can give more details and/or links to helpful resources if you'd like...

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please do
CBT is cognitive-behavioral therapy, learning to replace untruthful thoughts with truthful ones. ERP is exposure and response prevention, which means exposing yourself to what scares you and not performing your safety behavior (compulsion). ERP is considered to be highly effective for treating OCD. I like to simplify it this way: Accept the anxious thoughts, resist compulsions. Accepting the thought doesn't mean that we agree with it, just that we choose to ignore it as a meaningless signal from my brain. For example, if I have an obsession about making unwanted vows to God, I will accept the anxious thought that tells me that I AM making those vows, and I will refuse to do compulsions, which in this case might be hyper-analyzing my thoughts to see if I did make a vow, and praying to cancel out what I perceive to be thoughts that are vows (but which are actually just the OCD trying to make me think I vowed something). Not sure if this is clear so if not just ask me to clarify! I'll also post links to a couple of my favorite resources:
http://ocdandchristianity.com/
Welcome
Managing the Haunting Thoughts of Pure O – OCD
The author of the blog in the final link also wrote a very helpful book about scrupulosity, titled Strivings Within: The OCD Christian.
Hope this is helpful!

• Informative
Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0