Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does anyone have any advice on how to conquer the sin of sloth or laziness? I struggle with this. I'm not very good at keeping my home clean and part of that is having two kids. Part of that is needing to go somewhere on nearly every day off I have. But...in all honestly, most of it is laziness. Let's just call it like is. I don't want to be like this anymore. Time is too precious to waste. I have two little ones who deserve better from their mother and need me to be an example. If I ever want to be all that God would have me be I need to break this sin from my life.
Please does anyone have any advice?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The most important lesson with children probably is to read Scripture to them EVERY DAY for a few minutes at least. Even if it is not explained to them at the time, or if they are only a few months old, reading out loud to them every day on schedule is POSSIBLY the most important thing ever, (as important as praying, or even more important maybe) .... Later when they are grown or growing up, then they may have the resources 'internally' and intentionally (God's Plan and your hope)
to meet everything in life they run into, God's Way.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Put down the pie, get off the couch, and go for a nice brisk walk. It'll charge up your batteries. :D

My guess is that the kids have got you pretty worn down as well. Are you a single mom?

Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This video helped me a lot:

The summary is that people who procrastinate (or lazy, same thing) are doing so as a passive-aggressive form of rebellion against the constant barrage of people always telling them what they have to do or else, without ever taking time to take our thoughts or feelings into account. The passive-aggressive response becomes so ingrained in our behavior that it persists into adulthood even after there's no longer anyone forcing us to do anything.

Now that you're an adult your life is a blank canvas and you can do anything you want or don't want to do with it. Of course you still have to deal with the consequence of your actions, such as if you don't wash your clothes then you'll have to keep wearing the same dirty ones over and over, but if you're okay with living like that then go for it. No one is going to come to your house and put you in timeout or ground you until you wash your clothes.

Once you realize that you never have to do anything you don't want to do you can stop self-sabotaging yourself with laziness. You never have to do anything you don't want to again. Ever. This doesn't mean that everything you do is always fun, but everything you do is because you want to do it. For example, it isn't always fun to care for your kids, but I assume you love and so you do things to care for them even if they aren't fun. Doing laundry isn't fun, but having nice clean clothes to go out with is and so you do it, or at least that's why I do it. I hate wearing dirty clothes.

Also, keep in mind that even after you realize you don't have to sabotage yourself anymore you will still have to break your bad habits which may take months. It isn't going to be an overnight thing, however you should find that it is very easy relative to before because you're no longer in that mindset of other people being in control of what you have to do. You have the freedom to do whatever you want with your life, so decide what you want to do with it and go do it.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Put down the pie, get off the couch, and go for a nice brisk walk. It'll charge up your batteries. :D

My guess is that the kids have got you pretty worn down as well. Are you a single mom?
Yup

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm going to say something to you that will go against every mom's intuition you have.......(drumroll please),

You.... are more important than your kids. Their welfare should never come before your own. "Don't muzzle the ox (yourself) that treads out the grain".

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Time is too precious to waste. I have two little ones who deserve better from their mother and need me to be an example. If I ever want to be all that God would have me be I need to break this sin from my life.
This is true.
The answer might be simple, even suggested years ago, but not realized.
Most of the time, on this forum, the answer is not realized. (it is confused too much with a lot of not good ideas).

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm going to say something to you that will go against every mom's intuition you have.......(drumroll please),

You.... are more important than your kids. Their welfare should never come before your own. "Don't muzzle the ox (yourself) that treads out the grain".
I will say that if I don't take care of myself I can't take care of my kids. And also I have to be the best "me" I can be, living my life with integrity and in a way that is pleasing and acceptable to God not only for Him, but as an example for my children.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we all struggle with being lazy at times. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all I have to do so I don't do anything. If that makes sense. So the key is just to get started. So I set myself real easy goals. For example if I have to write a letter, I will set the goal of addressing the envelope. If I need to clean the bathroom, I set an easy goal like only clean the sink. Setting these easy goals make the tasks seem less overwhelming, so at least I do something. Often after I begin doing something I end up doing more anyway. (inertia?)

Also when there are so many things competing for our attention, it can be hard to decide what to do first. I have found thinking "doing anything is better than doing nothing", helps me get going. It doesn't matter if it is the most important thing, at least it's something!

Being lazy can become a habit, I try to break the habit by taking small steps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
@ The OP, What is your diet like? What do you eat? Its hard to get motivated if your feeling sluggish right out of the gate...
Well i'm currently working on eating healthier. I drink only water and I am trying to give up redmeat and eat less pasta, more rice and more vegetables. I don't buy sweets. Try not to buy junk.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well i'm currently working on eating healthier. I drink only water and I am trying to give up redmeat and eat less pasta, more rice and more vegetables. I don't buy sweets. Try not to buy junk.
I bought turkey bacon today despite it not looking like actual bacon. My body can't handle too much grease.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Add a bunch of fresh ORGANIC fruits and veges to your diet. Try juicing as well. Its true, we are what we eat... On a scale of 1-10 what's your energy level? Be honest...
Umm... idk. I know I generally need six to eight hours of sleep to not be a zombie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok, think about it for a few days. Start to listen to your body. God designed it to be able to tell us when something is and isn't working. The problem is a lot of people just disconnect the "engine light" when its flashing and don't seek a solution until its to late. Or until the damage is excessive. My point is that once you take care of the physical issues of the body and mind the mind is much easier to train.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is the famous 2 minute rule that can be followed: if something takes 2 minutes to do, start it immediately.

This is beneficial because when we complete small tasks, motivation builds up within us, providing momentum for other tasks.

Also, the 2 minute rule is not necessarily a tool used to complete tasks but to initiate one (expected incompletion). For example, if you were starting an art project or doing push-ups, take 2 minutes out of your day to doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your home doesn't have to be perfectly clean in order for your kids to be happy and healthy. Obviously there should be a basic level of cleanliness, but having it spotless isn't necessary. Stressing out about that can actually do more harm than good.

I try to just take it one task at a time, and routines help. If you make it a habit to clean up some at the same time each day, it will become easier. I have a weekly cleaning schedule for things like laundry, vacuuming, and bathrooms, and beyond that I focus on one room at a time. If it's a little messy, toys strewn on the floor, a few dirty dishes in the sink, I don't beat myself up for it. My son would rather have quality time playing with me even if the dishes sit out for the night.

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, think about it for a few days. Start to listen to your body. God designed it to be able to tell us when something is and isn't working. The problem is a lot of people just disconnect the "engine light" when its flashing and don't seek a solution until its to late. Or until the damage is excessive. My point is that once you take care of the physical issues of the body and mind the mind is much easier to train.
I disagree. The mind is much more of an influence on your energy level than your body. I'm in great shape, I can bench 400 lbs, deadlift almost 600lbs, I can go without eating for days and train MMA for hours and feel great, but when I used to be lazy I'd sleep all weekend because I had no goals and no motivation to do anything. I'd sleep like 14 hours until it was time to go to the gym and then I'd feel amazing again because I was motivated and excited about something.

Not saying taking care of your body is bad, but being excited about something is far more impactful on your energy level than anything else. If you aren't excited about anything then it doesn't matter how healthy you are you will still be bored and low energy.

Upvote 0