How to stay on the "right" side of encouraging others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON
Superman_Visor_Blue.jpg

Really? I think that's enough of the personal stuff, especially in light of the topic. Please stick to the OP.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That may have been directed at you too... :) (and me, and everyone who posts here...)
and...what exactly? one of the best ways to encourage someone, from my experience, is to communicate effectively, not with prejudice, preconceived notions, twisting of words and ideas, removing context, etc. etc. etc. The mod called for that as best I can tell...fair and graceful discussion of the topic of edifying one another...isnt' that worthy of a thank you? no matter who it is directed at?

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
and...what exactly? one of the best ways to encourage someone, from my experience, is to communicate effectively, not with prejudice, preconceived notions, twisting of words and ideas, removing context, etc. etc. etc. The mod called for that as best I can tell...fair and graceful discussion of the topic of edifying one another...isnt' that worthy of a thank you? no matter who it is directed at?

God bless you razzleflabben...

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we are talking about in that paragraph, course jokes that contain fart humor, not just jokes about farting. As such, in that specific situation, you saying that laughing at course jokes that contain fart humor in them is not sinful would be outside the truth of scripture since we are instructed to not participate in course talk. As to the "weaker brother" if you are sighting why you are refraining from such laughter in front of him, as in disciplining in the truths of scripture, or a biblical discussion about how to handle ones self in such a situation, you better use the term "weaker brother" because it is important to the nature of the discussion.

I don't think that it's conducive to unity to explain to others how much weaker they are than me. If I were to say "I don't really believe that I'm sinning, but I'll stop doing it in front of you, Joe Schmoe, since you are so weak", Joe Schmoe would certainly say that my faith is the weak faith because I can't stop 'sinning'.

That's a conversation that's going nowhere fast.

If you are not disciplining, nor discussing biblical matter, as in, just casually talking, then obviously, noting the passage you are taking your cue from would be unnecessary. IOW's all depends on the context of the situation. lol are you offended by lol's too? again, in the context of the discussion, we are now crossing a line into sin, either the sin of laughing at course jokes that involve farts, or the sin of judging another, depending on the situation at the time.

I don't know that refusing to hang out with people who accuse you of sinning when you are not is 'judging'. Even Jesus ran away from people who were trying to stone him...

The lol is because you are removing context to make a point, which is not very loving, Christian like, nor edifying, and isn't the point of the thread how to make sure we are edifying one another?

What did I take out of context?

if scripture says it's a sin, it better be a sin for both parties that claim to be followers of Christ!!!!!

And if Scripture doesn't say that it's a sin?...

That's the question I was responding to.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that it's conducive to unity to explain to others how much weaker they are than me. If I were to say "I don't really believe that I'm sinning, but I'll stop doing it in front of you, Joe Schmoe, since you are so weak", Joe Schmoe would certainly say that my faith is the weak faith because I can't stop 'sinning'.
so your saying that the scripture that tells us to not participate in course talk, is not telling us that course talk is sin? Hum...not even sure how to respond to that...sin is anything that is against God's command as found in scripture. When scripture says not to participate in course talk, and we participate in it, sounds like sin to me...I guess this is one we will have to disagree on, being that in my book, scripture always trumps opinion or justification.
That's a conversation that's going nowhere fast.

I don't know that refusing to hang out with people who accuse you of sinning when you are not is 'judging'. Even Jesus ran away from people who were trying to stone him...
when scripture calls it a sin, man has no right to call it not...but since that is covered above, I guess we are done with that discussion.
What did I take out of context?
both of the quotes you objected to, exactly as I pointed out to you.
And if Scripture doesn't say that it's a sin?...
then it is a disputable matter, which again, we already talked about and would be a discussion that ended by Matt. 18 first step, if in fact, we were not crossing the line into judgment.
That's the question I was responding to.
the question your responding to, is :confused: confusion...how Matt. 18 says to deal with disputable matters when we already talked about the sinless issue would end with going privately just as Matt. 18 says, and in that "winning" your brother over...as in, peaceful resolution, just as scripture tells us to do, without crossing the line of judgment? Wow, now I am so lost, I don't have a clue what you even think you are saying.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
one truth of scripture that seems to be coming out in this thread when it comes to the issue of edifying one another, is the need to change our vision, or as scripture says, taking on the mind of Christ.

IOWs the world tells us to expect the worse in people and be surprised when they show you the best. We have seen it here, when people expect a post to be saying the worst we can imagine, and then show surprise when we are shown that we were wrong in our perceptions and it really was all about love and edifying to begin with. Scripture however, tells us we are suppose to change our vision to that of Christ. Christ looks at the believer, and sees His righteousness, the potential to be the very image of the living God. That means that we should expect to see love from our brothers and sisters and be surprised when shown evil.

When we change this perspective, it frees us from spending all our time trying to address sins, to rejoicing in the victories that come from being more than overcomers in Christ. Thus, encouraging or edifying one another in the faith.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Razzel.......it was you that introduced "course talk" into the conversation (and it's *not* what's being discussed). To continue to use that as part of the discussion isn't helpful (or on topic). SE explained what she was discussing (which was in context with what I mentioned long ago in the thread). We're talking about things that aren't clear in Scripture (or even mentioned) and different people have different views as related to what is "sinful" or not.

You've given your opinion on Matthew 18 more than a few occasions in this thread and it's been responded to. I don't see a need to continue on in that. I think all of us agree that if someone says to us (or even responds in a way that demonstrates) that they're uncomfortable about being in the presence of certain behaviors.....out of respect and honor (and trying to maintain unity and preserve the relationship).....we try to not bring that behavior into their environment. I think that's a great example of respecting someone.......a way that "stirs one another to love" (Hebrews 10:24).....and a great way to encourage others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so your saying that the scripture that tells us to not participate in course talk, is not telling us that course talk is sin? Hum...not even sure how to respond to that...sin is anything that is against God's command as found in scripture. When scripture says not to participate in course talk, and we participate in it, sounds like sin to me...I guess this is one we will have to disagree on, being that in my book, scripture always trumps opinion or justification. when scripture calls it a sin, man has no right to call it not...but since that is covered above, I guess we are done with that discussion. both of the quotes you objected to, exactly as I pointed out to you. then it is a disputable matter, which again, we already talked about and would be a discussion that ended by Matt. 18 first step, if in fact, we were not crossing the line into judgment.the question your responding to, is :confused: confusion...how Matt. 18 says to deal with disputable matters when we already talked about the sinless issue would end with going privately just as Matt. 18 says, and in that "winning" your brother over...as in, peaceful resolution, just as scripture tells us to do, without crossing the line of judgment? Wow, now I am so lost, I don't have a clue what you even think you are saying.

I never objected to anything. I never spoke about coarse jesting. I never said anything about 'lol' or any of that. I never argued with you. The question was posed "Does Matt 18 apply to issues that are not 'sin-issues' and I gave my response to that poster. You started accusing me of twisting and drama and other things before I had ever responded to you.

I really feel like you're responding to someone else's posts...

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
one truth of scripture that seems to be coming out in this thread when it comes to the issue of edifying one another, is the need to change our vision, or as scripture says, taking on the mind of Christ.

IOWs the world tells us to expect the worse in people and be surprised when they show you the best. We have seen it here, when people expect a post to be saying the worst we can imagine, and then show surprise when we are shown that we were wrong in our perceptions and it really was all about love and edifying to begin with. Scripture however, tells us we are suppose to change our vision to that of Christ. Christ looks at the believer, and sees His righteousness, the potential to be the very image of the living God. That means that we should expect to see love from our brothers and sisters and be surprised when shown evil.

When we change this perspective, it frees us from spending all our time trying to address sins, to rejoicing in the victories that come from being more than overcomers in Christ. Thus, encouraging or edifying one another in the faith.

We may not agree much, but this? QFT!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Razzel.......it was you that introduced "course talk" into the conversation (and it's *not* what's being discussed).
yep...which means that the context of the quote is that of course talk. IOW's it was important to the point being made, thus specified and removing it from conversation because you didn't mention it first, is to remove the context of the quote in question which is rude, unloving, and otherwise contrary to both good communication and how God commands us to behave one to another.
To continue to use that as part of the discussion isn't helpful (or on topic).
it is when the topic is how to handle a situation that does not specify whether it is a course joke with fart humor or not.
SE explained what she was discussing (which was in context with what I mentioned long ago in the thread). We're talking about things that aren't clear in Scripture (or even mentioned) and different people have different views as related to what is "sinful" or not.
again? are you suggesting that it is not sinful to partake in course talk, even though scripture tells us not to? Cause the quote in question, specified we were talking about course jokes with fart humor inserted, therefore, your only option is to 1. agree, 2. disagree because you don't agree that scriptures command to not participate in course talk, is not sin. So, should I find the scripture for you, or are you one of those that think sin is only those things that say in scripture, "this is sin" and everything else we are taught is wrong is just a bad idea?
You've given your opinion on Matthew 18 more than a few occasions in this thread and it's been responded to.
by twisting and turning of which I am spending a lot of time correcting the misrepesentations, and it is getting old and really needs to stop.........iow's deal with what was actually said about Matt. 18 or move on to something bigger and better, continually twisting what I said by removing context etc. is only inflammatory and honestly, I am on the verge of reporting it as such. It is one thing, to accidentally misunderstand someone, but when you have been corrected multiple times and as another poster once said, lacks the respect to accept the misunderstanding because it is a form of correction, that is quite another matter.
I don't see a need to continue on in that. I think all of us agree that if someone says to us (or even responds in a way that demonstrates) that they're uncomfortable about being in the presence of certain behaviors.....out of respect and honor (and trying to maintain unity and preserve the relationship).....we try to not bring that behavior into their environment.
yep...which means, that in line with Matt. 18, you go privately to the person, and in the agreement you have with the disputable matter, you have "won" them over. If on the other hand, one person persists in judgment, the second step of Matt. 18 becomes important, that of taking a witness. On the forum that would be equivalent to reporting the poster, of which I am to the point where I don't see any other way to get some here, to understand that taking things out of context and twisting another posters words then blaming them, is sinful.
I think that's a great example of respecting someone.......a way that "stirs one another to love" (Hebrews 10:24).....and a great way to encourage others.
we saw that when I told you that I would refrain from using lol in posts addressed to you, but you refused to accept it, and began bashing me with your opinions, which crosses the line and turns into judgment on your part of me...which is a sin issue. It only stirs love if it is accepted rather than beating someone for disagreeing with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
we saw that when I told you that I would refrain from using lol in posts addressed to you, but you refused to accept it, and began bashing me with your opinions, which crosses the line and turns into judgment on your part of me...which is a sin issue.

That is one version.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you believe your words are being twisted.......maybe it is best if you just not post in this thread.
:confused: (does that smilie offend you as well?) How is that love? How is it love to ask someone to leave a thread rather than expect those that stay, to follow simple communication rules, like not taking others out of context, not beating others up for disagreement, or not twisting others words into something not said? How would that bring about the goal of love, which is reconciliation and "no harm" to others who are being offended by rude (I Cor. 13, love is not rude) behavior and disrespectful debate? I will happily leave if you can show me how leaving would be an act of love that brings everyone in the discussion to a point of reconciliation...as best I can tell, it would just produce more of the same shameful behavior, which is not love at all.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People learn more from your actions than they do from your words.
amen! which is exactly why it is problematic to say, 'thanks, I appreciate you accepting my preference on the matter, then turn around and bash the person with a continued assertion of why you feel the way you do and how wrong the other person is. If my pov is understood and properly represented by those I am talking to, there is absolutely no reason to repeat my opinion, unless, by my actions, I want to force someone else to conform to my ideas and opinions, no matter what my words say....it is what the behavior/actions say that speak louder than the words. It's also why it is harmful to tell another who accepts the difference and ends the discussion with that, to be called immature, insulting, condescending, and told they are unloving and at fault, rather than take responsibility for our own shortcomings.

To that point, another bibilical truth that is coming out of this discussion but no one seems to be pointing out, is the need to take responsibility for our own shortcomings. Many people proclaim to be in line with scripture when it says all have sinned, but live as if they have no sin. I have seen this taught repeatedly in the church and many years ago, fell prey to the same sin. We are quick to proclaim that we have sinned, but when pressed to accept a sin, or to list sins that we have committed, we are stumped. We neither take responsibility, nor can we list specific times we have coveted, judged, enjoyed course humor, etc. In fact, we are way more quick to find ways to justify our own sin than to accept that we crossed a line and sinned in our responses. I first hit this reality a few years ago, when a fellow church goer, lost a parent. The weather was bad, and the funeral was some ways away. None the less, we risked the travel and attended the funeral and the fellow church goers were in tears at our love because we were the only ones that came. Later we were asked by another church goer about the funeral, and we told them what happened. The man that asked, looked at his wife and said, "we sinned by not going". He was right. We seldom look at those things and accept that we sinned, but in reality, we did. It is easy to blame others, easy to accuse others as being the problem, hard to accept that we might be responsible for sin in the matter. That is why we have learned to call sin sin. Many people become offended by that bluntness in that they want to pretend they are guilt free, others cherish the open frankness, whether it is a confession of our own sin, or point out the sin of another. We all need to learn to call sin sin, and that dear brother, pointed that out to me in a way that I cannot escape. But, it requires a humility to accept that we do sin, and a softened heart to not blame others for our own failures. When we live by this rule, we are free to judge our own hearts before pointing out any sin in another, kind of like the priest of the OT, who had to first cleanse their own lives before making sacrifice for the sin of others. Same idea is carried through scripture that tells us to look at our own lives with sober honesty.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.