United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think good way is to begin with the Gospels, because in the is the new covenant that God made through Jesus and it is also more about what is good and right. However, I don’t think it is a problem to start from Genesis, all though, it is much about the history, which I think is not as important as what Jesus said.

And especially if you begin with Genesis, I recommend to be patient. Don’t worry if you don’t instantly understand everything. Also, don’t be afraid of what you read and remain in truth always. I think most problems people have with the Bible are because they have not been truthful.

Other thing that I think is a problem often is that people make own explanations to what Bible really means. I think it would be best to allow Bible itself explain what it means. And for that I think it is good to read the whole book several times. Because then all small parts begin to form bigger picture and it is easier to understand correctly all the details. And this is why I think it does not matter as much where do you start, because I think in anyway, it would be good to read the whole book.

When I was young and read first times Bible, I found this helpful:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

I had difficulties to understand, but I wanted to understand Bible correctly, as God wants it to be understood and that is why I prayed God to give me wisdom. And I think God has given me much and I am thankful to Him for that.
Thanks for the message. You and another poster suggested asking God to help understand the bible when you read it. That is a good idea.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blessings in Christ Jesus! Long ago, when I started to read the bible I prayed unto The Lord first and ask Him to give me understanding of what I was about to read. And He did. I would suggest you start in the gospel of John. Only one chapter, as in John 1. I remember Him telling me back then, a little at a time. If a person is hungry, and I see that you are, you do not give them a full plate of food, you give them a small portion, that way the next time they will be eager(hungry) for more. What I was not told back then, was that every thing I was reading(taking in) would some day come flowing out of me in the proper season. When reading John, if you choose to, do not be surprised if it touches your heart, for I have just asked for this to be so. Have a good night.
That is a good idea. Don’t get overwhelmed. I might start just reading John by one chapter a day.
Do you think it is good to read the other gospels after that?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have pretty weak faith and have no real relationship with God but I still value the Bible and believe what it says. I’ve things at church and heard other contracting things online and so never really know what to believe anymore. I want to sit down for myself and read and hopeful God will help me discover the truth myself. I want to uncover this as to me life is boring and meaningless and the only true worthwhile I can do is try to get right with God.
I have never sat down and read my bible for an extended period of time and have only ever read a couple of books (years ago) in the entire Bible like Genesis, Exodus, Matthew and Revelation.
I have no friends in real life and I hope that maybe I can pursue a Jesus and He will be my friend.
How can I start reading the bible? There are so many pages and so many books it seems like there’s no logical place to start. I’d like to read so that the books flow with each other and I grasp what’s going on instead of just reading random bits and bobs and then all the books never come together.
Also how does one read the bible? I read the bible and usually never really understand what it says. Some people say you need the Holy Spirit to open your eyes and understanding and so I clearly don’t have this.

Since you’ve read Genesis and Exodus I would suggest reading John next. John 1 gives a little info on before creation and Christ’s role in it. Other than that I’d say go to Matthew and just go thru the books one by one in the order they are in the Bible.

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is a good idea. Don’t get overwhelmed. I might start just reading John by one chapter a day.
Do you think it is good to read the other gospels after that?

Yes that is a very good idea. By now, perhaps you see, that it touches your heart. All hearts, including the hardest of hearts, can be touched by Him. What is found in Him can not be found anywhere else. All who seek(HIM) will find Him, and all who knock(He opens up to)He opens the door.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to sit down for myself and read and hopeful God will help me discover the truth myself.

I love the OP and honesty in it. I pulled a small bit of it to comment on.

The Lord told Martha that truly on one thing was needed!!

That thing was doing what Mary was doing and she was sitting down listening to Jesus Christ!!!

Jesus Christ is the truth. That is written in the Bible. So you are on to the right idea!!!

You sit down for yourself, read the Bible and God should and will help you discover Jesus Christ yourself. The revelation of Jesus Christ, might not come as quick as you think, but it will come. You will find out that He is there speaking via His Holy Spirit to your spirit. You will find out that He always has been, even when the Bible was not in your hands. Of course the Spirit of God is not the only spirit, but He has been there for you all along. Or why did you come up with this idea, the very one thing that is necessary? Was that not Him speaking to you via His Spirit already?

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Well that's a good choice for a friend, Jesus. You can't have anyone better.
First I have to say I haven't read the whole Bible yet. First I started reading Bible "here and there" so, I used and still use as a guidance (it is more than guidance too) if I was having a certain problem I was seeking help from Bible. I was using Google to help find helpful verses fast and then opened Bible and read them there and wrote them down on my notebook. I found this extremely comforting because words really do heal and encourage etc. So I was getting really excited about Bible. I think it's really important to get excited. And tread Bible as a magical word of God which it is. After a while doing this and listening audio Bible I started reading Bible from the beginning. I want to read it from beginning to end and then might go back to those areas which are hard for me to understand, bit by bit. Have a wonderful moments with the word of God^_^

You will find your own way of reading Bible. Ask God to fill you with His Holy Spirit. Pray for His guidance.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have pretty weak faith and have no real relationship with God but I still value the Bible and believe what it says.

If this were true, you'd have a different, better relationship with God than you do. You don't really believe the Bible - though you may hold some respect for it.

I’ve things at church and heard other contracting things online and so never really know what to believe anymore. I want to sit down for myself and read and hopeful God will help me discover the truth myself.

Bravo! He will. You draw near to God and He'll draw near to you. Here's a promise God makes to all of us:

James 1:5-8
5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.
7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,
8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

If you really want to know God, He'll reveal Himself to you in His word. Read the Gospel of John. And then the book of Philippians. Read them slowly and carefully, asking God as you do to show you the truth.

I want to uncover this as to me life is boring and meaningless and the only true worthwhile I can do is try to get right with God.

It's what God made you for. Being right with God is the heart of the reason He made you. God wants you to know Him, and in knowing Him to love Him, and in loving Him to enjoy Him, and in enjoying Him to give Him glory. That's why God made you. When you live in the way God intended you to, life comes into focus and gains meaning and a purpose it can't have any other way. And it is truly excellent walking with God in joyful, deep communion.

I have never sat down and read my bible for an extended period of time and have only ever read a couple of books (years ago) in the entire Bible like Genesis, Exodus, Matthew and Revelation.

Well, there's no rush. Take your time. Persist. Talk to God about what you're reading in His word.

I have no friends in real life and I hope that maybe I can pursue a Jesus and He will be my friend.

Being a friend to us is his specialty. But he's the best sort of friend, who will seek your improvement, not just let you go on in bored, aimless living. Don't forget, though, that he is also your Creator and Lord. Read Revelation 1:12-18.

Also how does one read the bible? I read the bible and usually never really understand what it says. Some people say you need the Holy Spirit to open your eyes and understanding and so I clearly don’t have this.

Do you know how to have the Holy Spirit illuminating your mind to God's truth? He does this for all who are born-again spiritually. Have you been born-again? (See John 3:3-7, 16; Romans 10:9-13; Titus 3:5-7)

• Agree
Reactions: Clara Bear
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In all honesty, one definitely needs the holyspirit inorder for them to understand the word of God. Try to start by meditating on simple short verses, everyday. Read chapters like Matthew, mark and Luke about Christ and His earthly ministry. Listen to your audio bible or read, starting from Genesis going. Keep going prayerfully.

Don't rush through! As our relationship with God is here to stay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have pretty weak faith and have no real relationship with God but I still value the Bible and believe what it says. I’ve things at church and heard other contracting things online and so never really know what to believe anymore. I want to sit down for myself and read and hopeful God will help me discover the truth myself. I want to uncover this as to me life is boring and meaningless and the only true worthwhile I can do is try to get right with God.
How can I start reading the bible? There are so many pages and so many books it seems like there’s no logical place to start. I’d like to read so that the books flow with each other and I grasp what’s going on instead of just reading random bits and bobs and then all the books never come together.

The old testament takes you through the covenant of works, into the covenant of Grace and the Mosaic covenant, which was added due to the unfaithfulness/transgressions of Israel. The Mosaic covenant had the intention of being a teacher, showing Israel the Holiness of God and their own lack thereof thus showing Israel their desperate need of Him and of His mercy. They were awaiting the Messiah who was to come with a new and more perfect covenant than the Mosaic..

In the New testament He was born, lived, taught correct interpretation of Scripture, died and rose again. His disciples and apostles then taught the correct understanding of the new covenant relationship with both God and man, opening up the covenant relationship to any with a saving faith in Christ.

Some people start as a result in the New Testament, others still begin in the beginning. Study Bibles are good aids to understanding who the various people's were (at the beginning of each Book) and when they lived and when certain events occurred....

You can also use aids like this which assists in fleshing out the more important topic points:

How to Understand and Apply the Old and New Testaments (2 vols.)

I actually began in the book of Jeremiah (a book of prophecy) then went to the New Testament, then went back to Genesis and read beginning to end. I used the NIV study Bible for its easy readability. That was my first Bible.

If I needed to understand particular verses in a more in-depth fashion, I went to Bible Hub online and read the multiple translations as well as often scrolled down to the various possible translations for particular words.

I went from there, to a systematic theology book that was written for students, Wayne Grudems Systematic Theology. It also was written in clear and plain easy to understand manner, and I could look up various topics and read just about that one thing. Topics like salvation, justification etc.

So hopefully and prayerfully this will be some help to you... God bless

Upvote 0